View Single Post
Old 2005-02-10, 14:30
Senior Metalhead

I've tried D'addarios and GHS Bass Boomers and found they both die (tonewise) with a couple of weeks.
I don't know why you think Elixirs so that bad Def. They're not perfect, but they are the best kind of string I've ever bought. That nanoweb coating actually does keep the original tone. The only problem is that the original tone isn't all that good, especially on the low B and also on the E. And the attack on those strings is bad also. If I was to palm mute on the low B, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in sound, only volume. As for breaking wise, I've probably broken only four strings, and I've been buying these for almost a year. I don't know if that's bad or not ... usually I only broke them when I was practicing accenting notes.
They don't have DRs at the store I go to ... at least that I know of. I do know that they don't have any Warwicks though.

I was also going to suggest washing your hands before playing but I guess that doesn't matter if you use a pick. It must be a completely different story with a pick ... you automatically have lots (perhaps too much) attack. Maybe this would be good on elixirs, but making that kind of 'test' would cost alot - they are $85 Can -> $70 US approx.
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.