View Single Post
Old 2005-02-03, 23:25
C-Un(i)t
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Cloaca Send a message via MSN to Cloaca Send a message via Yahoo to Cloaca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rezendes
First things first- we need a panel of voters. Yes, that's right, a group of people selected to vote for tabs. Now, this idea has many, many options. The biggest question here would be who exactly comprises the panel, right? Well, there are many different ideas here. One option would be that only qualified tabbers could be on the panel. Another option would simply be that you have to be registered to the forum in order to be on the panel. You could also come up with certain requirements. Let's assume for a moment that you would go with the qualified tabber option.

Yep. We need this.

Quote:
Well, first off, what makes them qualified? There are a lot of options here. You could base it on the number of tabs the person had submitted, or the quality of that person's tabs. This area is probably limited, so lets move on to the idea of general forumers being selected to the panel.
There is a lot more room for options here. I feel that there would need to be certain restrictions here. The restrictions could be based upon many things, including post count, age, or how long they've been here. I think how long a person has been here is more important than either post count or age, but any combination or all three could prove to be worthwhile restrictions. There should be no limit to the number of people allowed onto the panel.

I generally agree with this, but how long they've been here shouldn't matter too much, if:
Quote:
they either asked to be allowed in or are invited to join by members of the moderation staff and the existing panel. This would help ensure that only quality voters are allowed in. Naturally, this whole idea could be shaky at first, but would steadily improve and prove it's worth.

Quote:
I think a new forum should be created to accomodate the voting panel and any problems. For example, if, after the voting panel is already put into use, somebody should still have a problem with people coming in an giving him all 1's, he should be able to voice his concerns in this forum, which should be addressed by a moderator. Perhaps it might also be worthwhile to acknowledge a hierarchy within the voting panel, perhaps there could be a head of it or several people acknowledged as managers or, since this is a forum, perhaps as panel moderators.

Yep, but maybe there should be mods for different genres. It is unlikely that the Voting Panel, even with quite a few members would know whether all the tabs for obscure black metal bands, or Grindcore bands for example, are accurate. Another idea, maybe there should be some sort of "Degree of Difficulty" for a tab, I don't know how this could work, I'm just throwing the idea up.

Quote:
It could work so that anybody could see who voted for a tab. It could also work so that only members of the panel could see who voted. Perhaps it could be made so that all members of the panel can see with the exception of the tabber himself, if he happens to be part of the panel.

Yes, members have been asking for this before, I'd really like to see it myself.

Quote:
I have another strong idea for this panel that I like, but admit might be unnecessary. This idea would be for people to explain what they liked or didn't like about any given tab they have voted for. This would ensure that people were legitimately familiar with the tab they are voting for and not just voting for arbitrary or frivolous reasons.

I'm for this too, but I think that in the "text box" where they'd have to write their reasons you'd get a lot of bullshit posted. And I don't think mods could filter through it all.

Quote:
Another idea I have is that, once the voting panel is implemented, all votes are stricken and we start anew. This would level the playing field, so to speak, to those who unnecessarily view this as a competition of sorts.

DEFINATELY.

So these are my thoughts, if they were to come to fruition it wouldn't be a perfect system, but it would be a lot better and fairer I think.