Thread: theory...
View Single Post
Old 2004-12-15, 23:08
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Send a message via AIM to John Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON FART
You can take AP Music Theory...Advanced Placement. Equivalent to a college level class (maybe a little easier) and you can get college credit for it.

As for is it useful to know Music Theory? We'll I don't know any Theory myself...but It would probably be useful to know. If you seriously want to compose music, it would be a plus for you.

If I'm not mistaken, Paul McCartney worked with an orchestra and produced an illustrious work ... but he does'nt know how to read sheet at all. He just simply dictated to the musicians what he wanted, and managed them to synchronise their efforts ... I can't say whether or not it was more efficient, but it goes to show it can be done.

Another method of "sheet-less" orchestration is Brian May layering, layering, and layering some more with guitar tracks. With the advent of multi-track modern studio technology, some proficiency with recording equipment supplied by one person who is adept at several instruments ( or at instrumental synthesis ) can produce an orchestration, with it going straight to record. The wonders of modern technology!