Thread: 8-String Bass
View Single Post
Old 2004-11-01, 18:10
Senior Metalhead

6 Strings too much?

When I owned a four string I thought 5 would satisfy my desire. The fifth string (B) is extremely useful when you're playing something pretty high and have to suddenly go a lot lower. You do not have to move all the way down the neck to do so.
As I'm improving and learning more classical stuff, I'm beginning to wish I had a sixth string. When you play a song and you have to play a long fill with continous sixteenth notes, it can be difficult moving down from the 16th fret on the G all the way down to the 2nd fret on the B. If I had a sixer I could at least start on the 11th fret, which would make it much easier. It also is annoying to have to play up at the 20-24 frets on the G because the frets are so close together that a semitone trill means you have to be carefull one finger leaves enough room for the other, if you understand what I'm trying to say.
6 may not be necessary, but it really would help.
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.