View Single Post
Old 2004-10-22, 16:38
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
tried a dual and triple this week, tested them through a whole load of different cabs. one tip, if you want the mesa sound, get the matching cab.

i think v30's sound really good with recto's because they're so midrangey and recto's are a bit scoopy... so it helps balance..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
it's weird, but the mesa cabs have their own tone, most cabs do but their's just have a more distinctive sound.

i think they're built with solid peices of wood... and they're oversized.... and of course they're heavy as shit(in more ways than one)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
As for mesa's, I think they're not worth their money, but ofcourse, if its exactly what you're looking for, go for it.

that's what i think... i love the tone, but only some are actually worth the money they go for, my old vtwin rack preamp was a dream of mesa tone... and it was only like $300 used... i'd say it's pretty worth it... i can't say as much for recto's or the triaxis....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
If you get a mesa triple or dual recto, you're getting it for the distortion channel, because thats what makes it rock. It's comparable to most high-gain amps but it has a more open sound, which some people hate, but most people love.
Ofcourse, they're all the rage nowadays, but they're good amps, but if you look at it price wise, I'de definetly get something else that sounds better for the same ammount of money.

i think they have pretty good cleans for high gain amps....(better than most marshall's and way better then 5150's)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
if I had to choose, I'de prolly get the dual instead of the triple, I liked it a bit better, ofcourse the triple has a bit more headroom, but you just won't use 150 tube watts. Let alone 100 tube watts. I've played a bunch of gigs with 60 tube watts and I never had it past 70% of its volume and that was cutting through the mix like a chainsaw so I had to turn it down

my guitarist has a 120w tube 5150, and i have the 100w(2x50w) peavey classic 50/50 or sometimes i play my buddy's 100w jcm 900... we quite literally play with our amps dimed... he's going for a triple recto(as opposed to the dual he first fell in love with) and i'm going for a mesa 2:95... we need more headroom and volume reserves...