MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear & Recording (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Official Bridge Thread (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9629)

Party Time 2000 2004-02-20 14:49

The Official Bridge Thread

Well, I'm not too experienced with bridges but I would
like to become more familiar with them.

I just got a 1984 BC Rich Stealth and it has a Kahler
floating bridge and a locking nut. It looks complicated
compared to other bridges I've seen out there.

I would like to know about all bridges used on electric
guitars and what their advantages/disadvantages
(technical, maintenance, etc) and what your opinions
are of them.

I appreciate your help metal heads.

Def 2004-02-20 16:14

Kahler bridges are all pretty damn good, a bit more sturdy then OFR's (original floyd roses)

I have an old Edge trem in my '89 rg750, great trem, really doesnt go out of tune, much better then ibanez trems these days and especially better then all of the immitation licenced china crap. this trem holds its tune 10x better then the licenced floyd I had in a Dinky.

advantages : kickass dimebag sounds, full trem, super sturdy, stays in tune for ages (well, mine does)

disadvantages : string changing is a bitch!! (TIP: cut the ball end of the string so you only have to cut it ONCE!) using different gauges will result in a messed up trem, you'll need to sort it out again with the springs and shit (pain in the ass)

stuck.

Immortal Extinction 2004-02-20 16:18

In my opinion the Floyd Rose tremolo are by far the worst with the exeception of the Vintage style system. They have the least amount of adjusting options in comparision to other systems (ie Kahler Flatmounts, and Wonderbars). Also when you use it, the string height changes, it may not be much in most cases but its enough to be annoying. Also the the Fine tuners are just barely in the way enough to get rubbed occasionally. I have also found that they dont palm mute as well as others. And since its a floating system its the biggest pain in the ass to change your tuning.

Now my 2nd favorite tremolo bridge is the Kahler Flatmount. It has a nice feel. individual saddle height adjustment, something the floyd rose doesnt have. the string height is the same whether your playing normal or have the whammy bar pushed all the way to the body. Since its not a floating system, you can change tuning much much easier. Palm muting is also very good too.

My favorite tremolo is the Washburn Wonderbar. it takes the kahler a step further. its a true flatmount, so it will mount to anything without routing. it has individual saddle height adjustment, the intonation adjustment has the widest adjustment range. The fine tuners are mounted horizontal so there out of the way. Again since its not a floating system, changing the tuning is really easy. String height is constant like on the Kahler. Its a shame they stopped making them.

Sorry for all you people out there that like the Floyd Rose. This is just my opinion

BLS 2004-02-21 11:11

Floyds are great if you acually know how to use them. Its not that difficult. I can have my guitar tuned to C with a set of 10-46 and it still has great tension like ime playing in e. But i did have to put a shim under the nut, no biggie. Kahlers are better though but there also more expensive. They give you a better tone due to the amount of wood that is saved, theres no trem cavity. But if you want it to stay in tune well you have to solder the strings. They both take about the same amount of time to set up in my opinion, but ive been using Floyds for about 4 years now. Heres a good site that has alot of info on the Kahler http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm and heres one about Floyds http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/FloydTuning.htm

freek666 2004-02-21 17:41

ihave the edgepro II on my rg350dx. lemme tell you that mother stays in tune like you wouldn't believe. now it's time for good ol freek to tell a story

i went to grab my tuner because i figured it would have gona flat a little bit because it's been a whle since i locked the nut. well what do ya know. 1 month after locking it and it's DEAD PERFECT. go figure :D

xdislexicx 2004-02-21 19:28

both my ibanezs have the licensed floyds, i disabled them both. one by placing screws on the inside and taking out the springs, and weird complicated shit. it wouldnt be to hard to undo, but it was a pain to do, so in my other ibanez, i've wedged a jenga block in it.
the only reason i disabled them is because everytime i broke one string the tuning of the rest of the strings would go up about a half step, making me completely out of tune with the other guitarist so i couldnt play the rest of the song unless i had a backup guitar.
i like the availablity of a whammy and stuff. but seeing how crazy i get at practice and on stage, i broke strings quite a bit, so staying in tune when i broke a string was a bigger priority to me. besides, theres a "whammy" pedal :cool: .
i love ibanezs, but i didnt have the option of an rg or pgm without a floyd style trem. so i did what i had to do, sorry stevie ray.

BLS 2004-02-21 20:31

You just said you have atleast two guitars, meaing a backup. Use the trem man they kick ass.

MoonRaven 2004-02-28 16:47

i hate trems, a good old string-thru body w/ a tonepros adjustable bridge will do me just fine, thanks

xdislexicx 2004-02-28 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
You just said you have atleast two guitars, meaing a backup. Use the trem man they kick ass.

the thing is, i don't always have two guitars with me, and its a pain to not be able to finish the rest of a song with just one guitar. because if a break a string, the whole guitar immediately becomes useless, instead of just being able to finish the rest of the song with out a high e or something.

Def 2004-02-29 07:01

Well we've heard the downsides now, if you break a string, you're fucked.

if you detune a lot, don't even think about getting a floyd, it takes a while to adjust.

I don't care because I allways use the same tuning and same strings, my setup is perfect for me and I can't imagine playing without a trem... theres a LOT of differences in the floyds, the OFR's, old Edges, new edges, licenced, the worst I've had was the one they have in the jackson dinky (korean) those trems are terrible, same goes for most ibanez's nowadays, I'm really happy with my old edge on my RG though, they only put descent edges on the vai models and shit these days, just compare a rg550 to a vai and check out the difference in trem, no wonder the edge stays in tune better.

I've played the esp haneman, which has a great kahler trem, it didn't feel much more sturdy then my edge though, but it surely wasn't crap, I've had some guitars without trems which got out of tune more then my RG, I love my edge...

xdislexicx 2004-02-29 20:01

floating trems can be a huge pain. for changing string gauge, detuning, restringing, and string breaking.
if none of these factors are a huge deal to you, go for it. i'd enjoy the option of having a trem, but its not worth it to me., my next few guitars probably wont have floating trems, and if they do, i can just disable them.

Party Time 2000 2004-03-01 13:25

Yeah, that's a good link there BLS.

When I initially got my Stealth, it was somewhat out of tune. I wasn't familiar enough with the Kahler so what I ended up thinking is that you could only tune with the pegs. Well, when I loosened the locking nut with the allen key, the high E snapped right at the locking nut (one locking nut per 2 strings = 3 locking nuts total). I've changed the strings since then and now know to tune a step or two flat before tightening the locking nut. I don't know the reason why it would snap, the high E was flat to start of with.

I noticed a significant increase in playability from my Strat to my Stealth. It's much simpler to palm mute and tremelo pick, with increased speed. The reason may be that the kahler ball bearing rollers are set high, above the guitar, which makes it feel like a much more natural hand position for metal (It's a shredder guitar by design). How are the other bridges with comfort and playability with respect to hand position?

Also, the my intonation is off a bit and there is some buzzing. I am willing to mess around with the Kahler (floating) bridge, reading the technical info on the websites, to help me out.

Another question is this: I bring in my acoustic for a setup and it costs $35 CAN (plain old bridge). If I screw up my settings on my Stealth, do you think they will charge me extra (because it's more time consuming)? What happens with the stores that you guys go to for your setups? What if the guitar techs are not proficient, they wouldn't charge by the hour, would they?I can easily call up my stores but I would like to know how your stores operate with these situations.

PS: My stealth kicks ass.

xdislexicx 2004-03-01 17:44

kahlers are way nice., i wish i had one, but no :( .
a music store shouldnt charge much more for your stealth than it did for your acoustic. just call and ask for an estimant.

i think guitars with big trems are alot more comfortable to palm mute and tremelo on, it just gives me something big to rest my hand on.

Mordor 2004-03-15 18:27

I've got a ZR trem on my ibanez s and it fucking rocks, its in league with my original floyd on my v. Its has a real smooth feel and basicly kicks ass but the thing i like about it the most is when u snap a string the guitar stays in tune. :)

freek666 2004-03-17 00:58

hmmmmm.. no one mentioned the classic ' vintage style' bridges... you can find them on strats and stat copies what are they? pure shit

Enviedbynone 2004-03-17 03:03

Floyd has also released a new trem called the speed loader, only catch is its a toal bitch to get strings and change the settings of it, otherwise it is great, FULL string change in under a minute and the trings are all pre streatched so there is barely any of that involved, if you are worried about breaking a string at a show and you use only the one tuning, look into one, its worth the pain in the ass to order strings if you want to use a trem and not worry about breaking a string, or at least haveing to take 5 mintes to fix it

xdislexicx 2004-03-17 09:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enviedbynone
Floyd has also released a new trem called the speed loader, only catch is its a toal bitch to get strings and change the settings of it, otherwise it is great, FULL string change in under a minute and the trings are all pre streatched so there is barely any of that involved, if you are worried about breaking a string at a show and you use only the one tuning, look into one, its worth the pain in the ass to order strings if you want to use a trem and not worry about breaking a string, or at least haveing to take 5 mintes to fix it

interesting, i totally wouldnt mind have a trem if it stayed in tune when i broke a string.....

freek666 2004-03-17 14:34

yeah, but floyd rose is the only brand of strings you would be able to get because they have 2 bullets on either end, and that limits your desired tonal range greatly, because what if you dont like the tone of the floyd rose strings? i think the speedloader bridge is a stupid idea.. why sacrafice tone for ease?

BLS 2004-03-17 15:56

Im sure other companies will start to sell the speedload strings once the bridge starts selling. Right now the only company thats endorsing it is B.C. Rich

DEAD 2004-03-17 16:09

The BC Rich licensed Floyds are the worst. Not the speedloader, but the regular one. Fucking digusting.