MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear & Recording (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Picks (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8975)

metal=life 2003-12-28 08:17

Picks

What kind of picks does everyone use? And the reason for using them?

I use Jazz IIs as of last week and I really like em. They're small and easy to pinch harmonics with and they're thick for speed picking. I also have a few Stylus pick which have a diamond shape tip at the end made for shredding. I don't like the feel of them so I'm strictly Jazz II now.

God I'm bored...

Metaldave 2003-12-28 08:26

I use blk Jim Dunlops and have done for about 6/7 years... thay are the all rounder pick! One has never slipped out of my hand, ever1 which is a good think. :beer:

Def 2003-12-28 08:45

jim dunlop tortex and other jim dunlop, on acoustic, those big stubbies.

for bass the heavy triangles that ibanez and fender make.

BLS 2003-12-28 09:35

Jim Dunlop Nylon 1mm picks because there thin, yet very sturdy and they dont wear down like most picks, and there grippy thinger is pretty convenient

!!RaGe!! 2003-12-28 11:58

i use Dunlop pinky-purple ones i think there 0.52mm

brainsforbreakfast 2003-12-28 13:08

dunlop .60 ...i like these best, not too thick, not too thin..

everybody loves dunlop :love:

xdislexicx 2003-12-28 13:32

mostly dunlop's every now and then i make exceptions to play on other peoples shit & stuff, but right now i've stocked up on pretty thick dunlop tortex's because they don't grind through when i do pick slides the way most other cheapo plastic picks do. plus i don't seem to drop them as much when i'm jumping off shit.

DEAD 2003-12-28 16:13

Fender Extra Heavy. I've tried more expensive picks but I always go back to the fenders.

x2xAtreyux2x 2003-12-28 17:24

I use whatever is closer for my hand to grab. I use some yellow .73 delrin Fenders right now. Nice size, but they die awfully quick. If you play every day, don't get them. I like nice pointy tips instead of rounded ones. If you are like me, I suggest some Peavey heavys. Oh, and if you go to the Hardrock Cafe, buy their picks!

x2xAtreyux2x 2003-12-28 17:27

Quote:
Originally posted by Spikyhairz
everybody loves dunlop :love:

I think Dunlop straps are horrible uncomfortable. I like Ralph Marlins.

daggerfall 2003-12-28 17:35

1 Attachment(s)
I use the dunlop tortex fin pic. 60mm(orange)
I got to have the ones with the strange shape...and they are not sold many places...

guitar_demon 2003-12-28 19:36

Quote:
Originally posted by BLS
Jim Dunlop Nylon 1mm picks because there thin, yet very sturdy and they dont wear down like most picks, and there grippy thinger is pretty convenient

exactly

BLS 2003-12-28 23:29

Quote:
Originally posted by daggerfall
I use the dunlop tortex fin pic. 60mm(orange)
I got to have the ones with the strange shape...and they are not sold many places...

LOL my friend has the yellow one and its like paper, and we arent quite sure wtf that wierd side is for but we assume its for pick slides??

metal=life 2003-12-29 01:20

Dunlops are the best, especially the Jazz II. I used to use the tortex picks that were thick as hell (the pink ones) but then I discovered the Jazz II. They're fucking perfect. A lot of pro shredders use them too I heard. You guys that are lead players should purchase only one and try it out. Or use it in the store. Or pocket it.

Raagshinnah 2003-12-29 02:09

Quote:
Originally posted by metal=life
Dunlops are the best, especially the Jazz II. I used to use the tortex picks that were thick as hell (the pink ones) but then I discovered the Jazz II. They're fucking perfect. A lot of pro shredders use them too I heard. You guys that are lead players should purchase only one and try it out. Or use it in the store. Or pocket it.

hmm jazz II...are those the purple transparent ones?

metal=life 2003-12-29 02:43

No I think you're thinkin about the stubbies. The Jazz ones come in red or black. Mine are black.

BLS 2003-12-29 04:28

http://www.flying-v.ch/collect/mipick.jpg those are the one i use except i use the 1mm ones. Go to guitar center and take one see if you like it.

Necro_Butcher 2003-12-29 13:57

i use the Jazz III, the smallest and pointest out of the jazz collection

Party Time 2000 2003-12-29 15:58

I was at a party the other night and ran into some old friends. They both
suggested that I switch picks and try the small jazz picks. It gets your speed and accuracy up, they said.

Does it really make a big difference. Isn't it just something else to get used too? Just thinking about it, yeah but no.

If I like to pick at strings all over the place, a longer pick would help with speed because the distance your hand moves is shorter. Does that make sense? I like to let things ring out but a short pick would encourage p.m., would it not? I've only got a few months under my belt with my electric so take it easy on me.

Enviedbynone 2003-12-29 22:49

I use those little Jim Dumlop Jazz picks, but I drill a hole in the center to help grip it a little better, I have some trouble holding them wihout it. They are great for solos and PM riffs but I dont like them too much for strumming chords, but I ont do that on my electric too often if at all, lol. I use a .60mm match pic for acoustic playing, it seems to be a better sound for strumming on my acoustic.
But on my electric, or any electric I cant use any pic thats really under 1.2mm thick, or something thats really hard, I cant stand floppy picks, its more work to keep string noise down, and I find a lot hard to pull off artificial harmonics with floppier picks.