MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Boil your strings! (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8616)

Rattlehead 2003-11-27 13:54

Boil your strings!

I don't know if there already is a thread about this, so I decided to create one. I was once given a tip by another bassist. He said instead of buying new strings every time they sound dull, that he boils his strings in water, and it cleans them so they sound like new. I tried it myself, and was surprised to hear how good it sounded. If I remember correctly, it's almost as good as when I just bought them. You should have seen all the white dead skin and crap floating in the water after :sickface:
Give it a try :beer:

MetalPoldi 2003-11-27 17:03

My bass-teacher told me that, too.
But i never did that. But something about it has to be correct, if it worked for you.
This tip seems to be spread worlwide.

UndeadPaperclip 2003-11-27 22:54

wouldnt you be unable to put the strings back on after? I mean, you have to cut them short when you put them on, so how would you put them back on?

x2xAtreyux2x 2003-11-27 23:02

Quote:
Originally posted by UndeadPaperclip
wouldnt you be unable to put the strings back on after? I mean, you have to cut them short when you put them on, so how would you put them back on?

Well, if you just unwind them instead then it might work. I don't think it's the most intelligent thing plus the strings would be less durable since you are reusing them. Lastly, the fact that you have a froth of dead skin isn't exactly appetizing. It remidns me of digging up the septic :sickface:

Rattlehead 2003-12-02 13:51

Quote:
Originally posted by x2xAtreyux2x
Well, if you just unwind them instead then it might work. I don't think it's the most intelligent thing plus the strings would be less durable since you are reusing them. Lastly, the fact that you have a froth of dead skin isn't exactly appetizing. It remidns me of digging up the septic :sickface:
Yeah unwind them. They probably will be less durable, but it's still worth it since strings are so expensive. And I ate the special soup afterwards :)

I recommend doing it, it felt good to have 'new' strings.

Tattered 2003-12-06 06:12

hahaha yeh ive done that once it works!!!! but yeh you get too see all the shit come off the strings, lovely!! but yeh it saves money!!

SilentScreamer 2003-12-06 14:29

How long do you boil them?

Tattered 2003-12-06 15:41

for about 5-6 minutes

well when the water starts bubbling i leave it for bout 2-3 mins

brainsforbreakfast 2003-12-14 22:19

i heard it works on guitar strings as well (figures... duh
:rolleyes: )
but would this realy be usefull? normal guitar strings are not as expensive as bass strings are... plus, there is always a detoriation of quality when you boil them (even slightly)

BLS 2003-12-15 00:12

Just buy new strings, damn

Enviedbynone 2003-12-18 01:01

Boiling your strings is a very useful technique to save money and restore the lost sound quality of old strings, specially if you are using a 6, 7 or odd stringed bass. But the sound quality and string durability does decrease each time.
Yes it does work on guitar strings as well, though when tried with guitar strings I always end up breaking one soon after, for guitar just buy new ones, dont waste your time, unless you are in desperate need of new strings and dont have the cash to get them.
If you can afford to replace strings everytime you need new ones, go for it, but if you dont have such money its worthwhile to unwind and boil your strings.

Krow_666 2004-10-20 09:58

Van Halen

I heard this on some interview with van halen,... ive tried it for guitar and it fucking kicks ass,... your sound is sharp just like when you first put those fuckers on. :drunk:

Tattered 2004-10-20 10:19

Yeah, it works ive done it like 4-5 times now, but ive actually got money now so i buy the strings.. cos im too lazy to go through the whole boiling process..

Krow_666 2004-10-20 12:53

Freak

My moms starting to freak out cause i boil strings, apparantley it also takes alot of time,... lol

:sickface: :p

Disincarnate 2004-10-21 02:58

ya read it somewhere....havnt tried it out myself

Transient 2004-10-21 05:58

does this work for guitar?

Infinity 2004-10-21 07:50

No. I'm pretty sure not, unless you have tru-coil strings. My strings have the texture but arent a true coil.

Tattered 2004-10-21 08:04

I heard someone say in this thread that it worked for guitar.

h4x5k8 2004-10-21 09:34

:sickface: yummy skin broth

BassBehemoth 2004-10-21 09:40

I did it to my strings a few weeks ago, it does work, however I found didn't didn't last very long and theres nothing better than new strings.