MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   pick thickness for sweeping (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6964)

samaf11 2003-07-08 20:50

pick thickness

Is a .73mm nylon pick think enough for sweep picking? What are some advantages/disadvantages of thick and thin picks? Which is best for sweep picking etc. thanks

GoredFaces 2003-07-08 21:16

i like using thin picks better for sweep picking... dunno why... just feels better. It really all just depends on your opinion, try all kinds of different thicknesses, and use whatever works best for you.

Dyldo 2003-07-08 21:42

My personal opinoion is a thick (heavy) pick. I use tortex.

deMANUfacture 2003-07-09 05:44

i had the pleasure of asking kent saro what he prefers when sweep picking, and he prefers thin picks............i prefer the thin dunlop picks

nightrider06 2003-07-09 06:18

i prefer to use thicker picks
advantage of thicks picks- u can be like me, strong advantage

Freezer666 2003-07-09 06:27

Quote:
Originally posted by nightrider06
i prefer to use thicker picks
advantage of thicks picks- u can be like me, strong advantage

you're thick too? -_-

bah i brefer .60-70ish for sweeping, unless im using my fast picking pick(those purple ones that suck for everything else other than trem picking) which doesnt work too badly for sweeps but bleh

nightrider06 2003-07-09 06:56

Quote:
Originally posted by Freezer666
you're thick too? -_-

yeh several girls have told me that, but i dont mean to brag or anything
:cool: , but anyway i find it easier to pick quicker with thicker picks, thin picks bend too much

metal=life 2003-07-09 12:47

I use thick picks. Dunlop 1.42 I think. I can do it with thin picks but I can't do the sweeps that have tremolo picking in them.

Dyldo 2003-07-09 13:09

You cant just change picks on stage. Well...you can but that would have to mean that all your songs would have to have some sort of pause so you can sweep. Learn to use your most practical pick for sweeping.

MFKR666 2006-02-08 04:31

jazz 3's

i would recommend dunlop jazz 3 picks they are perfect for death metal. those fuckers just fly. they take a little while to get used to because thier so small bot once you get the hang of it you'll be twice as fast! and they are perfect for sweeps cause you can feel where you are with the edge of your thumb. pinches are effortless as well...Kryla;/ :vampire:

MFKR666 2006-02-08 04:51

i love slipknot!!!!!

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyiiiiiiippppppppppppiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! i love slipknot!!!! im a "slipknotter"!!! i can't wait to get the shit kicked outta me! ill be shur to scream the chorus to surfacing as im going down! golly i cant wait.**scoff** fuckin butt rockers!!

Infinity 2006-02-08 05:31

George Dennis is the best picks ever.

*insert name here* 2006-02-08 05:37

Old thread!I like thick,firm sharp picks for sweeps.

deifiler 2006-02-08 05:38

Not to sound like an ass hole... But you should learn sweep picking using the pick you currently use, otherwise you're going to find it hard to switch between the techniques fluently whilst playing.

Rather than asking for advice, get out and buy a variety of plectrums ranging from 0.7mm to 1.5mm (as a rough guide but do what you please) and try them out

But anyway... I use thicker picks, at the minute some 1.5mm purple dunlop ones that have a tortoise and the number '500' on them if that means anything.

MFKR666 - Don't keep worrying about all the slipknot bullshit, half of the tards that are on the 'mock nu metal band wagon' probably fell off the nu metal band wagon within the last few years anyway and are just following the in crowd. I didn't even notice your username was a slipknot reference, so others must have a finely tuned eye to the band's details

*insert name here* 2006-02-08 05:47

Yeah?What says he is into slipknot?The 666 or what?

deifiler 2006-02-08 06:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by *insert name here*
Yeah?What says he is into slipknot?The 666 or what?

Slipknot's first album 'Mate Feed Kill Repeat' with a thrown in 666 for added dread and doom. I didn';t pick up on it at first until the napalm hit. Can't say I like the band much, but that's mainly due to the stuff I like now simply puts them to shame and makes them look like idiots through their style, attitude and songs. I think people just diss them from the embarrassment of being minigoths in their former metal careers :stoned:

Just seems like a pointless trend the majority are latching onto and mocking people for liking shite bands ona guitar forum. If anything try and steer people away from it. Hell, I'd rather Slipknot and other shit like korn take up the kiddies than all this chav-forming R+B and rap shit. At least slipknot can be the gateway to the 'good side'. Besides, I doubt MFKR666 is your regular idiot who's seen slipknot on MTV then bought a BC rich bronze warlock and joined a metal forum

JacksonGuitars07 2006-02-08 06:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by deifiler
Slipknot's first album 'Mate Feed Kill Repeat' with a thrown in 666 for added dread and doom. I didn';t pick up on it at first until the napalm hit. Can't say I like the band much, but that's mainly due to the stuff I like now simply puts them to shame and makes them look like idiots through their style, attitude and songs. I think people just diss them from the embarrassment of being minigoths in their former metal careers :stoned:

Just seems like a pointless trend the majority are latching onto and mocking people for liking shite bands ona guitar forum. If anything try and steer people away from it. Hell, I'd rather Slipknot and other shit like korn take up the kiddies than all this chav-forming R+B and rap shit. At least slipknot can be the gateway to the 'good side'. Besides, I doubt MFKR666 is your regular idiot who's seen slipknot on MTV then bought a BC rich bronze warlock and joined a metal forum

You couldn't have stated it any better. For me, in 7th grade, Slipknot got me interested in heavy music (Notice, I did not call them metal) and so from there I found metalcore act Avenged Sevenfold. From there I discovered Bodom and the rest is history. I'm currently on a huge Vader kick.

m3talhead666 2006-02-08 06:35

I use a 1mm dunlop tortex for everything

JacksonGuitars07 2006-02-08 06:36

I use a thick pick for everything. I hate flimsy picks.

powersofterror 2006-02-08 08:10

Real men use metal picks.