MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pick Bassists Shunned by Finger Bassists? (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6367)

BassBehemoth 2003-05-28 18:37

Pick Bassists Shunned by Finger Bassists?

Is it just me or do the other finger style bassists here have less respect for bassist's who use picks? Personally I think a lot of them are wannabe guitarists.:mad:

Lord Arioch 2003-05-29 13:12

Re: Pick Bassists Shunned by Finger Bassists?

Quote:
Originally posted by BassBehemoth
Is it just me or do the other finger style bassists here have less respect for bassist's who use picks? Personally I think a lot of them are wannabe guitarists.:mad:

Like Araya :D

BassBehemoth 2003-05-29 13:31

Re: Re: Pick Bassists Shunned by Finger Bassists?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Arioch
Like Araya :D

:p ....Yes and no, I give him credit for being the "frontman" of Slayer at least..

Tattered 2003-05-29 13:37

Well using a pick on bass is frowned upon, here.

MetalPoldi 2003-05-29 15:44

I prfer finger-style, too.
It's harder so i like it more. :D
But some sounds you just can get with a pick.

Lord Arioch 2003-05-29 17:38

Quote:
Originally posted by MetalPoldi

It's harder so i like it more.

Well not true actually it depends
Some rythmics figures are way easier to play with fingers than with a pick.
for example triplets.
This is for me at least

Quote:

But some sounds you just can get with a pick.

Yep that's rigth
try to play fast trash metal songs with your fingers
and some brutal death with a pick
you'll understand what I mean

BassBehemoth 2003-05-29 18:33

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Arioch

Yep that's rigth
try to play fast trash metal songs with your fingers
and some brutal death with a pick
you'll understand what I mean

I don't know, I don't play guitar on a regular basis but personally I don't find it hard to tremolio pick..however it look me a while to get my three finger technique down..I'm currently slowly attemping four fingers.(Mainly because my pinky just flails and it looks kinda stupid. ha)

*Shakes fist at guitarists(My friend in peticular) who pick up a bass which is an "easy" instrument and attempts to pluck strings with one string...pathedic..*

Buganeer 2003-05-31 13:04

har har..i play bass with pick only...and now, shun me :) i mentioned it in an earlier thread, i play maiden with pick, now that may sound heretic to all of u finger players, but well, its the way i learned playing and it's way more easy for me.
I think that almost 'crusade' tween finger n pick bassmen is useless, after all we are all bass player n have to stick together :beer:

Def 2003-05-31 13:26

well I use both techniques, I love to play the spider without pick :P its really fast, maybe just as fast as with a pick....

playing with a pick has a more brutal sound to it though, that's allways good....

I usually play without a pick though.

artofnothing6 2003-05-31 13:50

Quote:
Originally posted by Def
playing with a pick has a more brutal sound to it though, that's allways good...

exactly. Plucking pulls the string upward. With a pick you can slam down on the strings pushing the string down, which gives a way more aggressive sound.

And the araya subject. I give him all the respect he should have, yeah, he plays with a pick, but look what else he does, yelling out fast lines, and having to remember fast bass lines. Not that easy.

BassBehemoth 2003-05-31 17:09

I shun you all! Wheres the guys with the fingers the ladies love?:eek: :cool:

MetalPoldi 2003-06-01 02:18

Yeah, three-fingers-technique on a clit is cool. :D :D :D

Def 2003-06-01 03:08

hehe I use the spider ;)

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass...es/Hanging_Ten/

Tattered 2003-06-01 04:08

I still cant do the four fingered technique, ive pretty much mastered the triplet technique though, but my pinky is too small to clip the string. :(

Def 2003-06-01 04:13

aww, you must have a mini pinky?

I've got huge hands so that comes in handy..

BassBehemoth 2003-06-01 10:09

Quote:
Yeah, three-fingers-technique on a clit is cool. :D :D :D

Hahaha, Personally I could never fit my 3 fingers up there....:smash: :D

RottingSwill138 2003-06-04 00:21

i play bass and i feel that it what ever works best.i switch cause i do metal and metal is fast so sometime i need a pick.

BassBehemoth 2003-06-04 08:15

Quote:
Originally posted by RottingSwill138
i play bass and i feel that it what ever works best.i switch cause i do metal and metal is fast so sometime i need a pick.

Challenge yourself damnit! I play metal(death/thrash) with no pick, you got no excuse!:angry: :behead:

Def 2003-06-04 09:01

Quote:
Originally posted by BassBehemoth
Challenge yourself damnit! I play metal(death/thrash) with no pick, you got no excuse!:angry: :behead:

Agreed :beer:

Damien-X 2003-06-08 22:08

heh I play bass with fingers, picks are too easy to play with......... I've tried playing with a pick before and honestly it's annoying........... playing with fingers you have more control and freedom I guess....
I play thrash, power, prog, death and black metal with fingers, although it is harder to get such speed with fingers as you do with picks....... I'd rather a fucking challenge! not an easy way out.