Forum Forum (
-   Music Theory (
-   -   What would you call this chord? (

Thaddeus 2011-05-27 11:35

What would you call this chord?
e |---|
B |-3-| D
G |-0-| G
D |-3-| F
A |---|
E |---|

It's a sort of random chord. Right now I'm calling it some kind of D minor sus (Mi3rd 4th R) but I'm really not sure. It could be called some kind of F (R 2nd Mi6th)? or G (Mi7th R 5th)? Or the root may not even be in the chord in which case I'd have a much harder time figuring out what to call it. If you have any insight please share, thanks.

Edit: it formatted funny so I changed the post around.

Thaddeus 2011-05-27 11:45

2nd Inversion of a G7sus?

Paddy 2011-05-27 11:56

This kind of thing goes over my head, but Guitar Pro's chord tool offers the following chord names corresponding to the chord you posted:

G/F (no3)
G7 (no3)
Dsus4/F (no5)
Dmadd11 (no5)
Fsus2add13 (no5)

The following chord namer website claims otherwise, however:


Not sure if that's any use to you :) Personally I think it'd give Stephen Hawking a blue screen of death.

Thaddeus 2011-05-27 12:23

Thank you, that helps though I'm still not sure what the best name for the thing is. I think I'll go with G7 for now, that seems the most fitting name though its missing the Ma 3rd so it could be viewed as a GMi7.

SoarAndEnvision 2011-05-28 06:48

This makes the most sense from the list "Dsus4/F (no5)"

This is simply a minor third with a suspended 4th (5th omitted - 5th admitted a lot of the time so not even worth mentioning.)

I don't know why guitar players make these kinds of things so complicated.

Thaddeus 2011-05-29 14:17

Thanks man, now I know what to call it.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.