MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear & Recording (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   differnce in emgs (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5100)

Piper5150 2003-02-22 11:32

differnce in emgs

whats the differance in emg pickups and emg-hz?
i kno like the different kinds like 81 and 85's but whats the differnce in the hz and the kind in zacks or just any emg active pickups thnx

MechanicalRaper 2003-02-22 12:32

HZ's don't require a battery, and I would guess, therefore aren't as powerful as "real" EMGs. While I have no real experience with either, it's an accepted fact that "real" EMGs are higher quality and sound better.

andras 2003-02-23 02:04

well, to my ears, the main difference is the HZs sound muddy compared to an 81. also, theyre passive, so the output would be less crushing. or something like that...

:drunk:

Def 2003-02-23 05:18

Quote:
Originally posted by MechanicalRaper
HZ's don't require a battery, and I would guess, therefore aren't as powerful as "real" EMGs. While I have no real experience with either, it's an accepted fact that "real" EMGs are higher quality and sound better.

yup, the difference is that the 81 is active and the hz's are not, they are also a lot cheaper... go figure. if you can, go for the active one's.

ilovebukkake 2003-03-02 17:35

from what i've seen, the HZ's are the EMG's that Jackson and BC Rich put in their guitars because they are tight fisted bastards. I dont see why they can't put the real deal EMG's in like Ran Guitars et al.

MeTalManiac555 2003-03-10 17:40

Ok so if I wan't to put some humbuckers which are the two like two pickups together arent they, well if I wan't to get some EMG's then which are the best one's for metal and all?

joblo1978 2003-03-12 11:22

You could go like I did. I put and EMG 81 at the bridge and and 85 at the neck. the 81 has a heavier tone that you get and want near the bridge. The 85 is a bit warmer sounding, not as hot as the 81 but that's where you want your warmer sound. That's also the same setup Zakk Wylde uses.

joblo1978 2003-03-12 11:25

Oh yeah I forgot....the pickups go for about 100 bucks a piece and you shouldn't attempte to install them yourself. Your guitar will have to be completely rewired with the EMGs and your guitar will have to accomodate 9v battery to be stored behind the pick-guard. Maybe even a little drilling may have to be done like in my Jackson. It's worth it though and you'll notice a big difference. the battery will last about 1000 hours the tech told me, once you plug you cord into your axe, you close the circuit and activate the pickups.

MechanicalRaper 2003-03-12 14:54

Quote:
Originally posted by MeTalManiac555
Ok so if I wan't to put some humbuckers which are the two like two pickups together arent they, well if I wan't to get some EMG's then which are the best one's for metal and all?

generally accepted answer is Duncan JB's or JB in the bridge with a Jazz in the neck.

Other good combos:

Dimarzio: Tone Zone/ Air Norton, Steve's Special/Air Norton, Evolution set

and I thought the running price for EMG's was $85 a piece?

MeTalManiac555 2003-03-12 18:48

well see, mine at the neck has the two things together liek two pickups which are called humbuckers right? and then the same at the bridge, and in the midle it has a little single one. And are the two little ones together called humbuckers?

PantericA 2003-03-13 12:35

Quote:
and I thought the running price for EMG's was $85 a piece?

wow, i would prabably have to pay upwards to $150, but remember, i live in Canada.

MechanicalRaper 2003-03-13 14:07

ok, that makes sense... does $150 cover installation?

G_urr_A 2003-03-13 17:22

Since you're allready discussing pickups here, I'll ask my q's here too.

1. I have tried to figure out whether Duncan Designed Detonators are active or not. Are they?

2. What is the difference in sound between active and passive pickups? If someone has the time, a recording of the same amp settings but with active and passive pickups would be HIGHLY appreciated.

MechanicalRaper 2003-03-13 17:28

1. no, I'm almost certain they're not. Duncan may have one or two active pickups in their regular series- I very seriously doubt they'd put an active on their lower end ones

2. couldn't tell ya.

MeTalManiac555 2003-03-13 19:31

OK the thing I don't know about the pickups is, what's the difference between acticve pickups and passive, and aren;t active one's better?

MechanicalRaper 2003-03-13 20:10

the difference? active's are powered by a battery.

are they better? that's an issue of personal preference... they all have different sounds.

MeTalManiac555 2003-03-13 20:12

I hear a lot of peopel saying that they liek active better, but what do you prefer? I am going to try them out myself though because I don't care that much about what other people liek but if I hear most peopel saying something is better then I will believe them all and then go try it out.

MechanicalRaper 2003-03-13 20:15

Personally, I prefer passive... much easier sans-battery, lets your guitar's natural tone show through, and can be tweaked for a multitude of sounds. I also have yet to hear an active that can get anywhere close to a PAF type sound.

MeTalManiac555 2003-03-13 20:18

So what kind of pickups would you prefer then so I cna go and try them out?

PantericA 2003-03-14 00:40

Quote:
ok, that makes sense... does $150 cover installation?

no.