MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Death and Black Metal Bassists (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4482)

walpurgis 2002-12-28 15:53

Death and Black Metal Bassists

Could you guys rattle off some names of some bassists in those two genres whose basslines you can actually sort of hear? I know most of them follow the guitar rather direct, but there have to be at least a few that stand out, I'm hoping...

metal=life 2002-12-28 23:49

children of bodoms bass sticks out in a lot of songs. Try In The Shadows by CoB....Marduk has some good basslines like in the song Dark Endless.:beer:

crispen411312 2002-12-29 03:17

Matt Langois from Cryptopsy's slap stands out at times, And the dude from Cephalic Carnage too, he's crazy, he plays some cool stuff, but like most other DM/BM bands they just fit into the mix alot too, but not as much.

Lord Arioch 2002-12-29 03:29

here we go

Cannibal corpse
Suffocation
Cryptopsy
atheist
gorguts
cynic
lethargy
death
Misanthrope

And I believe a few more

Tattered 2002-12-29 05:47

The bassist from arch enemy, in the song Savage messiah, its got a melodic intro and then goes heavy and then goes melodic again and thats where u hear the bass after the first few guitar riffs, i mean you dont usually hear him in most of the songs of the ''wages of sin'' album..but thats a cool song

the guy from vader aswell you can hear him plucking away on some of the songs

Deadfall 2002-12-29 08:55

I think that Steve di Giorgio is the best bassist in the death/black scene...You can hear him on several Death albums but Sadus is my favorite....he's great...
Other bands where the bass can be heard quite nicely, Benediction, Sinister, Hypocrisy

Tattered 2002-12-29 09:18

cool ill check em out

Def 2002-12-29 10:23

Quote:
Originally posted by Deadfall
I think that Steve di Giorgio is the best bassist in the death/black scene...You can hear him on several Death albums but Sadus is my favorite....he's great...
Other bands where the bass can be heard quite nicely, Benediction, Sinister, Hypocrisy

Yeah, di giorgio dude is amazing.

I know more bassist that stand out, the guy from Mordecai and the guy from Immortal Souls and yeah, Sinister is a good example.

Deadfall 2002-12-30 18:31

As for the Black metal part, I can't really say, I'm not a real big fan of black metal but I know I love Immortal's Damned in Black, the bass really stands out there...you can also hear some clear bass on some Dimmu Borgir tracks...of course, if you consider that to be Black metal...;)
You could check out Morbid Angel, the bass work there is very interesting, you can't hear the bass very clear but once you figure it out it's pretty cool.
Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse is also very good...i just love death metal bassists that play with their fingers...:D ...too bad I don't :o

walpurgis 2002-12-30 21:04

Quote:
Originally posted by Deadfall
As for the Black metal part, I can't really say, I'm not a real big fan of black metal but I know I love Immortal's Damned in Black, the bass really stands out there...you can also hear some clear bass on some Dimmu Borgir tracks...of course, if you consider that to be Black metal...;)
You could check out Morbid Angel, the bass work there is very interesting, you can't hear the bass very clear but once you figure it out it's pretty cool.
Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse is also very good...i just love death metal bassists that play with their fingers...:D ...too bad I don't :o

Hehe, "I could check out Morbid Angel" that just struck me as funny, cuz they're my favorite band, Dave Vincent was the shit :D

I'll get the Immortal song, but I haven't heard too much clear bass on Dimmu's stuff...

Clad in Shadows 2002-12-30 22:10

I'd say Opeth..

Deadfall 2002-12-31 05:01

Well, it just happends that Morbid Angel is my favourite band too, David Vincent was awesome, especially on Covenant and Domination...
About Immortal...it's the whole album Damned in Black, not just the song...

walpurgis 2002-12-31 15:46

Ahh ok, my mistake...

I think Vincent's best works were Altars and Domination.

mrweijia 2003-01-15 18:57

while we're on the topic of death and black metal bassists, could somebody name some that actually play with their fingers?

Deadfall 2003-01-16 00:59

Alex Webster, Steve Di Giorgio......there are quite few death metal bassists that play with their fingers.....actually....I know no black metal bassists that pick with their fingers......guess it's just too damn fast....
I saw John Myung from Dream Theater play a Napalm Death song...does that count? :rolleyes: ...gues not...

walpurgis 2003-01-16 01:05

I've heard the name before, but what band is Alex Webster in?

Lord Arioch 2003-01-16 02:37

Quote:
Originally posted by walpurgis
I've heard the name before, but what band is Alex Webster in?

Ok I won't judge you

give it another try
it begins with Cann...

and it ends with ibal Corpse

Lord Arioch 2003-01-16 02:40

Quote:
Originally posted by mrweijia
while we're on the topic of death and black metal bassists, could somebody name some that actually play with their fingers?

the ones from whom I've mentionned the group before in this thread play with their fingers

walpurgis 2003-01-16 15:48

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Arioch
Ok I won't judge you

give it another try
it begins with Cann...
and it ends with ibal Corpse

That's why I didn't recognize it, lol, I don't like CC.

Tattered 2003-01-16 15:52

arch enemys bassist has some cool riffs..