MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vocal Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   IS INWARD SCREAMING HEALTHY??? (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43835)

JAKEjurasSICK™ 2009-04-09 13:12

IS INWARD SCREAMING HEALTHY???
 
help a nigga out

TheZoeman 2010-08-14 14:22

I've heard that it isn't healthy and can actually cause some diseases if you do it in certain kinds of weather conditions. Aside from that, inward screaming(or inhales as they're called by some) sometimes sounds good, but most people that I've heard don't sound good when they do it(I personally like exhales better than inhales, but that's just me). So, if you can, either learn to exhale(ex: old Cannibal Corpse with Chris Barnes) or find a way to do inhales so that it doesn't do damage.

7-string warlord 2010-08-18 13:32

Inhales are for scenesters anyways.

TheZoeman 2010-08-19 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-string warlord
Inhales are for scenesters anyways.

Yup, that's why most of the scenesters sound bad(most of the time anyways).

ExhumedCarcass 2010-08-29 07:13

Scientifically it has not been proven for them to be good or bad for you. I've heard of people collapsing a lung doing it, but I've never witnessed it or known the people personally. That said it is the worst sounding thing you can do, so if you are going for sounding bad, have at it. If you want to sound good grow a set and learn to belt the shit.

squid-boy 2010-11-19 00:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-string warlord
Inhales are for scenesters anyways.


Suicidal Massacre uses inhales. Granted, they're not my favourite. The band, in and of itself, are pretty brutal, cuddly guys. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s7l89CbE2w

ExhumedCarcass 2010-11-19 13:05

That video is quite horrible... Breakdowns always turn me off...

squid-boy 2010-11-19 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExhumedCarcass
That video is quite horrible... Breakdowns always turn me off...


To each his own, my friend.

projectvenusblake 2010-12-04 11:32

1. No scientific proof that states that it is harmful/unhealthy however that in no way means it isn't. There haven't been any scientific studies at all into whether it is healthy or not.

2. Perform your own tests. I have. I speculate that inhale screaming damages your throat. After performing inhale screaming, I find it very difficult if not impossible to perform quality exhales. I hypothesize that this is because our vocal chords function through exhaling, not inhaling. They didn't evolve to take that much stress from the downward direction. They are only adapted to take stress from air in the upward direction. Notice how we speak, sing and pretty much make all noises by exhaling.

3. You can learn to inhale in a safer way, but it won't be as loud nor extremely high or low. Your inhales will be mid ranged and you'll be lucky if you can get a decent pig squeal down with that little amount of air getting sucked in.

4. I like some of the sounds you can create with inhales, so I taught myself to recreate them using exhales. For example, I can perform a pig squeal through pushing out instead of in. This is a great alternative to performing inhales and is much healthier. If you can do this then there is little or no reason to do inhales.

5. Inhales are very easy to perform. They require no skill and generally will get you laughed at by professional vocalists. Learning how to do inhale sounds through exhaling, however, will grant you massive props from all of your fellow growlers, screechers, shriekers, gutturalists and the like :P

wapbamboo 2010-12-06 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectvenusblake

2. Perform your own tests. I have. I speculate that inhale screaming damages your throat. After performing inhale screaming, I find it very difficult if not impossible to perform quality exhales. I hypothesize that this is because our vocal chords function through exhaling, not inhaling. They didn't evolve to take that much stress from the downward direction. They are only adapted to take stress from air in the upward direction. Notice how we speak, sing and pretty much make all noises by exhaling.



It is entirely dependent on how you do your inhales. I used to do nothing but inhales when I first started listening to slamming music. It hurt at first, but I got the technique down so that I wasn't damaging my throat at all. Recently, I've picked up doing exhales. Going from inhale to exhale wasnt all that bad for me, but trying to do an inhale after an exhale was extremely difficult. It really just takes some practice, and motivation for that matter (see: your point 4), to be able to do exhales and inhales in a song with them both sounding great and not hurting your throat.

Quote:
4. I like some of the sounds you can create with inhales, so I taught myself to recreate them using exhales. For example, I can perform a pig squeal through pushing out instead of in. This is a great alternative to performing inhales and is much healthier. If you can do this then there is little or no reason to do inhales.



This! The exhale squeal is a technique that I've loved ever since I first heard the Doom EP (dont hate)

Quote:
5. Inhales are very easy to perform. They require no skill and generally will get you laughed at by professional vocalists. Learning how to do inhale sounds through exhaling, however, will grant you massive props from all of your fellow growlers, screechers, shriekers, gutturalists and the like :P


I'm guilty of throwing inhales over a time signature that I couldn't come up with a decent exhale pattern over (didnt really use lyrics for the inhales...it doesnt sound near as good as it would have with exhales, and i could change that if i was better at making vocal patterns) but I think that inhales can be done correctly and not get you laughed at. Despised Icon has used them pretty decently along with their exhales and it sounds good, I think.

projectvenusblake 2010-12-07 18:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapbamboo
It is entirely dependent on how you do your inhales. I used to do nothing but inhales when I first started listening to slamming music. It hurt at first, but I got the technique down so that I wasn't damaging my throat at all. Recently, I've picked up doing exhales. Going from inhale to exhale wasnt all that bad for me, but trying to do an inhale after an exhale was extremely difficult. It really just takes some practice, and motivation for that matter (see: your point 4), to be able to do exhales and inhales in a song with them both sounding great and not hurting your throat.



This! The exhale squeal is a technique that I've loved ever since I first heard the Doom EP (dont hate)



I'm guilty of throwing inhales over a time signature that I couldn't come up with a decent exhale pattern over (didnt really use lyrics for the inhales...it doesnt sound near as good as it would have with exhales, and i could change that if i was better at making vocal patterns) but I think that inhales can be done correctly and not get you laughed at. Despised Icon has used them pretty decently along with their exhales and it sounds good, I think.


Oh yeah bro don't get me wrong, I use them too, just very conservatively. I'm careful with the placement. Usually I only use them when I want very shrieking pig squeals. Don't get me wrong, I'm not like anti-inhale or something, I just personally really prefer exhales for a multitude of reasons.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.