MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I have no idea what im doing (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40052)

aFarewelltoKings 2008-05-07 15:32

I have no idea what im doing

I get out of high school in like 8 days.I have no idea what im going to do.Should i jump right into college and risk not having insurance? Should i just work and try to find a band? Im just looking for some general advice and stories on what you guys did after high school.Thanks in advance :beer:

Requiem 2008-05-07 15:39

You've got the summer to think it over.

aFarewelltoKings 2008-05-07 15:43

I suppose thats true but if i cant figure it out then im screwed prolly

blitz906 2008-05-07 16:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFarewelltoKings

Why is that?

By the way, there is already a careers/jobs thread.

MetalThrashingMad 2008-05-07 16:58

Quote:
Im just looking for some general advice and stories on what you guys did after high school.Thanks in advance :beer:

I picked up a construction job after I got out of HS, partied like hell Chris Farley style for a year... then I joined the Steamfitters union. Learn a trade. That way you'll always have a job, you'll be making ~30 bucks an hour, plus your skill will actually be useful, compared to some desk job where you're not really even... useful ;)

Quote:

The world is FULL of opportunities, it just depends on how bad you want to find them :)

xgrafcorex 2008-05-07 17:07

i went to college after high school and didn't have any health coverage after some point. haven't had it for a while until i joined the navy..well still in the process of that technically.

sounds like you have some time to figure it out..just make a balance of what you want to do and what you need to do. generally the first job you get isn't going to be the one you stick with forever..and will probably suck to some extent. sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

BOB_ZE_METALLEU 2008-05-07 17:13

i go to college this autumn in anthropology, i have to pay 116$ tomorrow to finalize my inscription!

go to college, you always end up with something

L,B'XXX 2008-05-07 17:16

Back in the day, I had no intention of going to college. I got hired at the bakery my family frequented and worked there until after I got married which was a little over a year later.
If there's something you'd love to do for a few years then try to learn as much about that as you can and try to find a job doing that. I have a good friend who studied music all her life and went to several colleges in pursuit of a music teaching career. One job she had was offering sample foods at grocery stores, but she dabbled back and forth to college while she did the odd job thing. She also gave various music lessons as a side job. She's a semester away from having her degree in music education, but felt it unneccesary to get that since she didn't want to teach in a school anymore. And now at almost 50 she's thinking of going back to college and studying physical therapy.

You don't have to make a rash decision about anything as long as you have access to a roof over your head and food that's not out of a dumpster. Try a few different things and see what you like. I heard the average job lasts 5 years now as opposed to 40 when I was younger. One thing I have noticed is that people seem to really do well in things they used to do when they were kids. Nose picking and paste eating not included in jobs.

Pr0az 2008-05-07 17:52

Quote:
I get out of high school in like 8 days.I have no idea what im going to do.Should i jump right into college and risk not having insurance? Should i just work and try to find a band? Im just looking for some general advice and stories on what you guys did after high school.Thanks in advance :beer:

First off you really don't have all summer to think about going to college if you wanna go to college this fall.. If your gonna go to college start applying to schools right this second, a community college and or a close university should do just fine. Hopefully you have already taking the SAT or ACT test, if not look it up right now and try to get a date to take it. After this go to that school when your accepted get all the information from them about filling forms out for financial aid which if you fill out your financial aid early man you get way more money back then someone who fills it out a week before bills are due. Also you get a change check back as well around 2,000 dollars a semester for me so that helps a lot especially while working a part time job and living with my parents. A refund varies from person to person i get an ass of scholarships for doing fairly well so thats why its so much, but people who don't get scholarships still get around 1000 here. Also the reason i say close to home is because really if you don't know what you wanna do then go to one close to home in case you decided its not for you. College will give you something to fall back on in case a music career fails also. In College man you meet hot bitch's, get to go to parties, and your life doesn't completely end as I've seen some of my fellow peers from high school who went straight into the work force(Not all but it seemed a majority from my area had it happen). Also you will meet a lot more people who are into music, it least i did. I say go to college I've had one hell of a fantastic time since going. Since you don't know what you wanna do you can always not declare a major until you get your general education requirements in.

Most of us are not lucky enough to live up North where MetalThrashingMad is from and be able to get in with a Union making big bucks for something we get paid 13 dollars for down South.

Let me also add taking time off between Highschool and College man to me hurts you, you can forget so much in 1 year. Go to college man do the thing if you don't like it just say fuck it and leave, but give it a chance before you do that it least 1 year.

MyOwnSavior 2008-05-07 18:01

Always have something to fall back on. You can try the whole band thing even with a job. You can also use some of your income to help out with things you might need.

But college is always a smart move. It makes things easier in the long run.

BOB_ZE_METALLEU 2008-05-07 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by L,B'XXX
Back in the day, I had no intention of going to college. I got hired at the bakery my family frequented and worked there until after I got married which was a little over a year later.
If there's something you'd love to do for a few years then try to learn as much about that as you can and try to find a job doing that. I have a good friend who studied music all her life and went to several colleges in pursuit of a music teaching career. One job she had was offering sample foods at grocery stores, but she dabbled back and forth to college while she did the odd job thing. She also gave various music lessons as a side job. She's a semester away from having her degree in music education, but felt it unneccesary to get that since she didn't want to teach in a school anymore. And now at almost 50 she's thinking of going back to college and studying physical therapy.

You don't have to make a rash decision about anything as long as you have access to a roof over your head and food that's not out of a dumpster. Try a few different things and see what you like. I heard the average job lasts 5 years now as opposed to 40 when I was younger. One thing I have noticed is that people seem to really do well in things they used to do when they were kids. Nose picking and paste eating not included in jobs.

i dont agree with that, its not because things didnt go in her way that college isnt worth it...and you can change your mind before 50 years old.

Seriously, do something in your life that you like to do, not something you feel obligated to do because you need to pay your roof and your food.

prozac is right, try it before you forget everything, the best thing to do is TRY, you are young you can change your mind.

Kalmahswamp 2008-05-07 18:26

College (in the United States) is overrated if you're doing it for more than buying a diploma to get a higher paying job or partying. There is so much you won't learn that you want to and so much that you will learn that is essentially useless knowledge.

The Doctor 2008-05-07 19:06

your problem sounds like a perfect reason to take a year off; half a year of working and saving money for the other half of travelling. During that time, figure out what subject you want to study.

but most importantly, go with your heart and keep your future in the back of yer head

tmfreak 2008-05-07 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmahswamp
College (in the United States) is overrated if you're doing it for more than buying a diploma to get a higher paying job or partying. There is so much you won't learn that you want to and so much that you will learn that is essentially useless knowledge.

It allows a check in the box to be able to get a foot int he door with most jobs. Negatively complaining about the lack of knowledge gained in college is dumb. The purpose of college is to help guide you towards a path of what you might want to get a professional career in, but its not to limit you. If you get a masters degree thats another story.

All bachelors are basically he same. Do extended amounts of work and give you some basic responsibility that those who don't go to college often don't have. Its not hard to get through college, but it sure as hell puts up an easy filter for people to stupid too get through it...

Anyways, a college degree takes place of work experience. And like mentioned by Proaz but i'll go one further, unless you go to a community college its pretty much too late (if i remember rightly) to go to a university (next fall).

I agree with doc. Most people jump into college way too early before learning even the tiniest bit about what the "real world" means. Granted unless you get a pretty good job you too won't have a clue what the real world is, cause living at home while you work at a food place or some box store isn't the real world, (unless you want to be a poor fuck your whole life.)

There is always a small stent in the military. That will definitely broaden your horizons more than most think it does.

Also college doesn't guarantee you a job or even a well paying job at all. Its the biggest fallacy ever. Best thing you could learn to is how to represent yourself and show presence, so if you apply to a job even without a degree you get them. There are plenty of people that graduate college and don't have "careers" even though they've "tried," but i assure you those that know whats going on and how to make an impact get jobs no problem.

aFarewelltoKings 2008-05-07 19:39

Thanks a ton to everyone for replying and giving me advice.I was thinking about going to community college in the spring of 09 and working most of this year(and hopefully touring).Hopefully in that time and some new experiences might light my way.But dont stop with the suggestions!!! :)

tmfreak 2008-05-07 19:47

Quote:
Thanks a ton to everyone for replying and giving me advice.I was thinking about going to community college in the spring of 09 and working most of this year(and hopefully touring).Hopefully in that time and some new experiences might light my way.But dont stop with the suggestions!!! :)

Thats a solid idea. It'll give you time to get your shit together.

Kalmahswamp 2008-05-07 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
Its not hard to get through college, but it sure as hell puts up an easy filter for people to stupid too get through it...

That's an ironic sentence :)

Anyway, why is it dumb to complain about what I'm not learning? I went to a school with a $33,000 tuition, I now go to a school with a $35,000 tuition. The idea of what college has become in the United States is bull shit honestly. Pay exorbitant amounts of money for an education you have little say in for the prospect of having a larger pay check in whatever field you enter. I'm double majoring in Biomedical Engineering and English. Everything I learn in Engineering is basically useless, courses such as Physics, Literature, Math, Philosophy, etc are interesting, but I'll be damned if I have any say in what material I want to learn in those courses. As anti-establishment or rebellious as this sounds, most of what you learn is what the corporation of society deems appropriate or germane.

Or you can just party like a fuckin' rock star in college!

Pr0az 2008-05-07 20:39

Quote:

Anyway, why is it dumb to complain about what I'm not learning? I went to a school with a $33,000 tuition, I now go to a school with a $35,000 tuition. The idea of what college has become in the United States is bull shit honestly. Pay exorbitant amounts of money for an education you have little say in for the prospect of having a larger pay check in whatever field you enter. I'm double majoring in Biomedical Engineering and English. Everything I learn in Engineering is basically useless, courses such as Physics, Literature, Math, Philosophy, etc are interesting, but I'll be damned if I have any say in what material I want to learn in those courses. As anti-establishment or rebellious as this sounds, most of what you learn is what the corporation of society deems appropriate or germane.

Now i will agree with you one the fact SOME college's are expensive, but i go to a school man where tuition a semester is only 3,500. Sounds to me you're going to a real upper school like Duke University which is mighty expensive. The school i go to has been accredited and highly recognized as a good place to earn a degree and to me thats all that matters and its cheap. Also if i went to a school with that high of a Tuition and I'm guess your talking about yearly tuition at 33,000 i would find another spot to go too, you can go to my school out of state for 6,000 even. Hell i dont know if your from the U.S or not, but dude way cheaper schools are out there who offer those degrees and you are going to that school by choice.

Also i would like to add some more advice there all always Tech schools man people put them down but most local universities and tech schools work together to let people go to tech at a WAY cheaper price and if they feel they wanna earn a degree the university will allow for a certain amounts of credits to switch over. Don't stay too long tho, i think only a minority of credits switch over.

But it seems you have a good plan just follow your heart and what you feel you have to do economically, emotionally, and mentally(what ever order feels right). But right now i would highly recommend you take one of the college placement test if you haven't the SAT or ACT the scores you get last along time i think over 2 years, do this since high school math and English are still fresh in your head.

tmfreak 2008-05-07 21:23

Quote:

Its not an ironic statement. If you're too stupid or uninclined to take any kind of furthering your education then employeers can screen you out without having to interview the person.

I could go on a tangent to the gay shit universities do and some of the lack of education you get. But thats another time and another thread. This is about what he should be doing, regardless of the legitimacy of how much you learn and blah blah blah. If thats what you have to do and its such an easy obstacle those who DON"T do it, are fucking stupid, (unless they got a legitimate reason why it doesn't matter for them which is few and far between). End of story.

I've been around people that don't have a degree nor any desire to get one, i'll get the fucking degree just to not have to be around them. Also i don't feel like doing manual labor my whole life. In fact i don't want to do it at all. I'd much rather sit back as a management or whatever business/contract/whatever and do more talking to people than actual "work."

drawn&quartered 2008-05-07 21:26

Hmm, it seems like there's quite a few HS seniors here.