MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Cool Cover Song (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39449)

7-string warlord 2008-02-05 18:58

Cool Cover Song

Hey, my band may have it's second show this coming summer, and we want to do a cover song...but are having a hard time thinking of one.

We tune to D standard. Last show we did Territory by Sepultura.

Any ideas?

Dyldo 2008-02-05 21:47

When I think of tunning D standard I think of Death. Its all in D. Death also starts with the letter "D"!. So does my name! So does "does"!

7-string warlord 2008-02-05 22:04

I was actually thinking of some death just now...Lack of comprehension or The Philosopher would be cool.

Auyard 2008-02-05 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-string warlord
I was actually thinking of some death just now...Lack of comprehension or The Philosopher would be cool.

Ghoul or Impaled would be my vote.

Me himself 2008-02-05 22:19

yeah go for a Death tune. just don't shit all over it like 90% of Death covers I've heard. That means not skipping the solos or playing them shittily. In fact, that also actually means not covering a Death song.

some bands in d standard:
Decrepit Birth
Deeds of Flesh
(some) Decapitated

7-string warlord 2008-02-05 22:32

The only thing about death is they have always had amazing bassists, ours is relatively new to the craft, but he holds up.....not for death though.

Also it would have to be something that is possible to be played and sung at the same time.

BassBehemoth 2008-02-05 22:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-string warlord
The only thing about death is they have always had amazing bassists, ours is relatively new to the craft, but he holds up.....not for death though.

Also it would have to be something that is possible to be played and sung at the same time.

If your bassist isn't strong, what about some older Death? Scream Bloody Gore-esque.

Requiem 2008-02-05 22:39

I could only play Death and Atheist on bass.

7-string warlord 2008-02-05 23:46

scream bloody gore stuff would be awesome.....

Well we may just do territory again(boring)

but Our bass player really just got it down(we originally did it before he joined)...it's fun to jam on anyways

Chris Rezendes 2008-02-06 18:01

Dark Angel. Never to Rise Again, The Death of Innocence, Older than Time Itself, No One Answers... awesome shit.

If you play a Death song, something like Living Monstrosity or In Human Form.

You could always just play a non-D song in D-tuning. People cover songs in a different tuning constantly.

Infinity 2008-02-06 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rezendes

You could always just play a non-D song in D-tuning. People cover songs in a different tuning constantly.

word

cover this song - YOU MUST DOWNLOAD AND LEARN IT!

December Wolves - Comepletely Dehumanised

7-string warlord 2008-02-06 20:04

well we were thinking of doing anold Johan Liiva era Arch enemy song.....but I don't know how the transition from B to D standard would go over.

MetalThrashingMad 2008-02-06 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me himself
some bands in d standard:
Decrepit Birth
Deeds of Flesh

Yeah good ones :rolleyes: Hopefully they have John Longstreth drumming for them.

Dyldo 2008-02-06 21:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
Yeah good ones :rolleyes: Hopefully they have John Longstreth drumming for them.

Hahaha. I was thinking the same thing.

Your bassist doesn't have to do everything. He can just follow along simple stuff.

7-string warlord 2008-02-06 21:37

yeah I'll dumb down the basslines a bit. we have to do a 45 minute set...so two cover songs may be up(territory and one more)

Unless we can finish more songs......but we are a fairly infantile band. and this is only our second show ever...so.....

The Doctor 2008-02-07 00:53

haha, ok, so no dark angel for you guys.

threatening skies by obituary was one of the first songs we covered with my first band baaack in the day.

that reminds me....megadeth's back in the day is awesome as well

Infinity 2008-02-07 00:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
word

cover this song - YOU MUST DOWNLOAD AND LEARN IT!

December Wolves - Comepletely Dehumanised

Me himself 2008-02-07 01:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad

hahahah, yeah whoops. I was just thinking about bands in that tuning... but hey! who's to say??

Nihilist 2008-02-07 17:29

Man up and play Pierced From Within in its entirety. I don't care about tuning. Do it.

Kalmahswamp 2008-02-08 04:06

IN FLAMES!!!