MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music Theory (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   harmonizing crap (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38678)

7-string warlord 2007-10-22 22:59

harmonizing crap

My friend wrote a little riff and wanted me to harmonize it, I'm relatively new to theory, but I thought I took a good approach, apparently not.

I noticed his melody was in C minor. So I thought I would Harmonize it in Eb Major, because they have the same notes.

C Minor: C D Eb F G G# Bb C
Eb Major: Eb F G G# Bb C D Eb

So I went through his riff and every time I saw a C, I would play an Eb. D an F, Eb a G....and so on. Well this sounded like shit. can anyone explain the proper way to do this?

Phlack 2007-10-23 05:49

What do you mean "sounded like shit", that should be properly harmonized in thirds.

7-string warlord 2007-10-23 16:45

well, it sounded kinda bad to me, perhaps because I downtune and all the notes are a step lower, maybe I lost something in translation....But still, some notes sounded pretty goo, but others were just dissonant sounding, and not in the good way.

davie_gravy 2007-10-23 20:37

Harmonies in 3rds sound badass. Try going up one interval, 4ths are sick and have a dark hollow sound to em.

7-string warlord 2007-10-24 22:02

can I swith back and fourth between thirds and fourths in one melody?

davie_gravy 2007-10-25 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-string warlord
can I swith back and fourth between thirds and fourths in one melody?

Totally dude! I actually have a riff where my harmony line bounces between 3rds, 4ths, and 5ths. Experiment with them, each have their own unique sound to em. The more you familiarize yourself with the sounds the easier and quicker you'll be able to find (and implement) the sound you're looking for when composing.

7-string warlord 2007-10-25 17:32

Cool. I've really just started getting into this type of stuff. But I'll give all that a try soon.

7-string warlord 2007-10-25 20:28

1 Attachment(s)
It's still harmonized mostly in those thirds...it turns out I was a half-step off on two notes...but I put two fifths in there to give a sense of resolve.

guitariste 2007-12-06 12:27

use 3īs and 4īs mixed together, it makes the melody sound more ... better. :homer:

powersofterror 2007-12-07 23:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-string warlord
My friend wrote a little riff and wanted me to harmonize it, I'm relatively new to theory, but I thought I took a good approach, apparently not.

I noticed his melody was in C minor. So I thought I would Harmonize it in Eb Major, because they have the same notes.

C Minor: C D Eb F G G# Bb C
Eb Major: Eb F G G# Bb C D Eb

So I went through his riff and every time I saw a C, I would play an Eb. D an F, Eb a G....and so on. Well this sounded like shit. can anyone explain the proper way to do this?

Those keys use Ab not G#, but whichever...try it in 6ths. That means play the Eb below his C, not above his C.