MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cleaning fingerboard? (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38104)

blitz906 2007-08-10 22:11

Cleaning fingerboard?

So just last night these little drunken motherfucking kids decided that it would be funny to throw an egg through my open window. Luckily most of it went on the wall, no big deal. But some of it went on the fingerboard of my bass :mad: what would you recommend for cleaning it off? I don't want to use guitar polish because that dulls strings, and I'm going to have to wind a new set of strings on now so I don't want them to get all dull.
~Thanks guys

sixsicsix 2007-08-11 09:11

well, either way you're going to have to take the strings off to properly clean it.

I use lemon oil

Sweet Pizza 2007-08-11 13:26

I was going to say the same thing. Lemon Oil is the way to go.

MetalThrashingMad 2007-08-11 13:59

I use steel wool to clean my frets / fretboard and put linseed oil on to protect the wood.

blitz906 2007-08-11 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pizza
Lemon Oil is the way to go.

Will that properly clean it?

sixsicsix 2007-08-11 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906
Will that properly clean it?

yes, and it makes it smell good too.

Soulinsane 2007-08-12 00:40

Armstrong Bore oil treats a fretboard very good too. A little goes a long way. I've used it for like 10+ years now and I'm still using the same 1.6oz bottle. A tech from Jackson guitars recommended I use it instead of lemon oil back when I owned my old KV-1. The dude was right on about it being one of the best things to treat a fretboard.

I use a micro fiber cloth to clean my strings and guitars every time I play but twice a year I use window cleaner ( on a rag ) to clean the fretboards. It does the best job of cleaning the gunk out of the wood grain but will dry out a rosewood or ebony fretboard within days, due to the ammonia, unless you oil shortly after cleaning.

Once a year, immediately before cleaning and oiling the fretboard, I will polish my frets with 0000 steel wool, but be sure to cover and tape the body of the guitar before you get steel wool near your axe. The magnets in the pickups will attract the small metal dust and slivers from polishing your frets and those metal particles will be impossible to remove once they work into the electronics. That shit will short and ruin the electronics of a guitar. Its just better to use a plastic garbage bag, taping the edge of the bag around the body of a guitar before using steel wool to polish the frets. Then use the window cleaner, and oil before removing the plastic bag very slowly as to not stir up the dust. I actually remove the tape and bag in another room or outside.

I hope this is all clear. I can explain more if need be. Cheers :beer:

Zick 2007-08-13 16:35

The blood of those who ruined your fretboard is the only effective cleaning fluid.

Sweet Pizza 2007-08-13 23:30

Wouldn't that mean you'd have to use your own blood.........??

Oh wait, I acknowledged that post.

Valtiel 2007-08-14 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Armstrong Bore oil treats a fretboard very good too. A little goes a long way. I've used it for like 10+ years now and I'm still using the same 1.6oz bottle. A tech from Jackson guitars recommended I use it instead of lemon oil back when I owned my old KV-1. The dude was right on about it being one of the best things to treat a fretboard.

I use a micro fiber cloth to clean my strings and guitars every time I play but twice a year I use window cleaner ( on a rag ) to clean the fretboards. It does the best job of cleaning the gunk out of the wood grain but will dry out a rosewood or ebony fretboard within days, due to the ammonia, unless you oil shortly after cleaning.

Once a year, immediately before cleaning and oiling the fretboard, I will polish my frets with 0000 steel wool, but be sure to cover and tape the body of the guitar before you get steel wool near your axe. The magnets in the pickups will attract the small metal dust and slivers from polishing your frets and those metal particles will be impossible to remove once they work into the electronics. That shit will short and ruin the electronics of a guitar. Its just better to use a plastic garbage bag, taping the edge of the bag around the body of a guitar before using steel wool to polish the frets. Then use the window cleaner, and oil before removing the plastic bag very slowly as to not stir up the dust. I actually remove the tape and bag in another room or outside.

I hope this is all clear. I can explain more if need be. Cheers :beer:

+1. Bore oils are simply the best. Period. Lemon oils are mostly mineral oil and fragrance, not the best for cleaning.

blitz906 2007-08-14 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zick
The blood of those who ruined your fretboard is the only effective cleaning fluid.

I flew out of my house like shit from a goose and ran after them (I'm a fucking fast runner) and grabbed the kid who was holding the eggs, the others kept running. I totally lost it and must have punched him in the face four times before he hit the ground, I gave him three more when he was down and decided to stop when I noticed a tooth on the ground. I think I broke his nose too, it looked pretty fucking crooked. I walked back to my house, washed the blood off my hands and it took me awhile to get back to sleep because I was fucking pissed. Luckily nothing came of my little outburst. Haven't seen any cops on my doorstep yet ;)

Soulinsane 2007-08-14 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906
I flew out of my house like shit from a goose and ran after them (I'm a fucking fast runner) and grabbed the kid who was holding the eggs, the others kept running. I totally lost it and must have punched him in the face four times before he hit the ground, I gave him three more when he was down and decided to stop when I noticed a tooth on the ground. I think I broke his nose too, it looked pretty fucking crooked. I walked back to my house, washed the blood off my hands and it took me awhile to get back to sleep because I was fucking pissed. Luckily nothing came of my little outburst. Haven't seen any cops on my doorstep yet ;)

Brutal :) I can't blame you though.

blitz906 2007-08-14 23:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Brutal :) I can't blame you though.

I wouldn't have been as pissed off if my bass didn't get splattered. But unfortunately for him, that was the first thing I noticed.

Musician1978 2007-08-16 07:25

I hear ya. Don't fuck with my musical shit.

blitz906 2007-08-17 06:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician1978
I hear ya. Don't fuck with my musical shit.

Agreed. I guard my instruments and gear with my fucking life.

faf_476 2007-12-22 09:30

Good thing you didn't kill the git with your bare hands. Or else goodbye music world. Goodbye bass guitar.
:D