MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Poker anyone? (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37942)

Musician1978 2007-07-22 13:31

Poker anyone?
 
...Well? Anyone like it? How'd you get into it?

When a buddy asked if I wanted to play a few years ago, I told him that poker was an old man's game. How wrong I was.

Anyway, just curious and didn't find a poker thread in the search.

The Doctor 2007-07-22 13:48

i play it quite often with friends; its cool to play when you're able to win 20 bucks or so

Pr0az 2007-07-22 14:04

Yea I love playing.

Requiem 2007-07-22 14:09

I always try and play but when I win everyone gets mad. And when I lose they get madder. :D

Musician1978 2007-07-22 14:13

A group of people I work with play tournament. Usually 20 bucks a game with 6-10 people. With 10 people, it is usually 3 payouts: 120, 60, 20. Sometimes we play 2 or 3 games, so there is potential to win some pretty decent money. You learn to get good real fast, lol.

tmfreak 2007-07-22 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician1978
...Well? Anyone like it? How'd you get into it?

When a buddy asked if I wanted to play a few years ago, I told him that poker was an old man's game. How wrong I was.

Anyway, just curious and didn't find a poker thread in the search.

My friends room mate used to (and probably will pick it up soon) pay his rent and all his bills from online poker. He would win over 1000 bucks a night by playing.

Chris Rezendes 2007-07-22 22:31

When I was a kid, I used to love playing cards. My favorite games were poker and spades, but I'd play just about anything if I could find someone who would go for it. I always liked straight poker, though, I never got into any of the variations. Texas Hold'em is for steers, queers, and Requiem's rear.

IRON90 2007-07-23 06:04

My grandmother and grandfather introduced me to it when I was about 12 years old. Nowadays I play with them or my friends.

davie_gravy 2007-07-23 14:55

I'm big into Texas Hold Em. I play on the internet all the time and make a pilgrimage to the casino about once every 3 or so months. Got hooked watching the WSOP stuff on TV.

moe_blunts 2007-07-23 15:27

I really detest the current poker fad. In my opinion, there is no such thing as a professional poker player....some people are lucky and some people aren't. This is true for the WSOP main event, at least. They might as well be playing russian roulette 300 times.

I'm actually a very good poker player. I'm hard to read and know when to fold. Similarly, I know when to bluff and when to be agressive. Intution is very important. However, unfortunatley, there is only so much skill a poker player can have. When it comes down to it, the key is luck.

BassBehemoth 2007-07-23 15:40

I love drinking and playing poker. I usually do very well when playing with my friends. Haven't played it at the casino yet, just black jack and Roulette.

Musician1978 2007-07-25 07:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
there is only so much skill a poker player can have. When it comes down to it, the key is luck.



I totally thought this before I started playing.

I actually say skill is half the game, while luck being the other half. Maybe even more than half. I have seen and played with people IRL who just bet no matter what their cards are. Getting people to lay down better hands is total skill, and this these people do it over and over. Obviously they get caught from time to time, but I think more often than not, they don't. For them, I think the luck factor is only like 25 percent.



I think I was going somewhere with that, but not really sure where..... *I foresee an "EDIT" in the near future...*

problematic 2007-07-25 10:21

Had a poker night at mine a few months ago-- was great. Drinking, poker, money, beut.


At Easter we had an all nighter poker sesh. That ruled too.


I like the game.

ulrichmc 2007-07-25 19:02

I used to play hold 'em 4-5 times a week. Lately nobody wants to play though....I guess they got tired of giving their money away.

far_beyond_sane 2007-07-25 19:46

I had a moderate interest in poker before the current explosion of poker being everywhere.

Now, I can't imagine why I gave a fuck. All the people I know who play poker simultaneously turn it into an ego exercise and play awfully.

problematic 2007-07-26 03:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
I had a moderate interest in poker before the current explosion of poker being everywhere.

Now, I can't imagine why I gave a fuck. All the people I know who play poker simultaneously turn it into an ego exercise and play awfully.

The explosion of poker is more directed at a fairly new game, Big 2.

Here at least, inner west Sydney, all the asians play it. Yes, I do to, sometimes, but we used to a whole lot more.

Are you familiar? I guess you are not since you are old, but its pretty gay.

4 player game, the whole deck is dealt out, so each player has 13 cards, poker hands 'beat' each other in fast action.


Has anyone heard of/can play this hybrid? It's massive around here. Everyone knows how to play it (round my age I guess)...

Requiem 2007-07-26 04:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
The explosion of poker is more directed at a fairly new game, Big 2.

Here at least, inner west Sydney, all the asians play it. Yes, I do to, sometimes, but we used to a whole lot more.

Are you familiar? I guess you are not since you are old, but its pretty gay.

4 player game, the whole deck is dealt out, so each player has 13 cards, poker hands 'beat' each other in fast action.


Has anyone heard of/can play this hybrid? It's massive around here. Everyone knows how to play it (round my age I guess)...


I've never heard of it. So it is called Big 2, eh. Will have to look into, love playing card games with beer involved.

EDIT: Found this if any one is interested. http://www.pagat.com/climbing/bigtwo.html

problematic 2007-07-26 04:54

Yeah, thats it, in very boring html.

There are many net versions/phone games if anyones interested.

This is one we were all playing on school Laptops yesterday: http://www.go.to/netbig2

christianiastheshit 2007-07-30 09:36

I was thinking about starting a poker thread a little while back, heh. I fucking love poker, have been playing for about two years now. When I lived in Alberta, some friends would all throw in 20, the winner walking away with anywhere from 120-200 dollars. It was awesome. When I was in Las Vegas I did this 50 dollar buy-in Texas Hold Em Tournament at the Monte Carlo Casino, made it to the final 3 and we chopped the pot. Only 35 players registered, so the payout wasn't big or anything, but fuck, 400 bucks for a few hours of Hold Em and gettin free booze, I'll take it! Fuckin love poker.

moe_blunts 2007-07-30 11:19

Texas Hold 'em is probably my least favorite type of poker. I much prefer 7 card stud or 5 card draw. There is nothing like betting high and asking for no cards back in draw. That'll make the field fold pretty quick.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.