MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Getting Started (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36888)

Lukus 2007-04-09 02:44

Getting Started

Ok i did some searching on the forums and stuff and couldnt find nothing on getting started.

If been wanting to start for ages and stuff. but ive never gotten round to it.

I cant afford lessons or nothing, but i have the internet... ssooooooo...

Give us some ideas on where to start eh.

Thanks in advance.

I got equipment i just need like online tutorials or something to go on, like scales or some shit Lol..... not that i know what that is :).

I wanna eventually play stuff by Inflames and Trivium, and Bodom. Lol its a few years or what ever off but im porepared to put in the time.

So where you think i should start.

Phlack 2007-04-09 08:30

I started at Cyberfret.com, but just play the songs you like to start with. Cyberfret tells you how to read tabs and then just go to 911tabs.com and find the songs you wnat to learn.

Pr0az 2007-04-09 09:05

Shit or you can just search this site for old information people have put up....

If i were you i'd go to book a million or somethen and pick up that complete package on how to play guitar. Something i should have did instead of assing around learning bard chrods and shit later.... :rolleyes:

tripton 2007-04-09 09:34

start practicing scales and chromatic runs. it will be very difficult early on, but these will help build strength and dexterity in your individual fingers. do these things with B) all downpicking, B) alternate picking.

Also, you are going to have to tough it out and play the stupid stuff for a little bit like "mary had a little lamb" and shitty songs like Oasis' "Wonderwall." You gotta walk before you can run, and guitar playing requires lots of patience.

Pr0az 2007-04-09 09:57

Again i say learn chords before going all out and running through scales. I mean learn like the major and minor scaled run thought it while your practicing chords but don't jump in the shit head over heels.

Lukus 2007-04-09 11:00

Ok guys thanks for that, seems like Scales are the go then. I found some tuts on activeguitar.com. They seem pretty good.

Thanks for all the info and ill check that cyberfret out now. :)

TangledMortalCoil 2007-04-09 13:27

be sure to practice strict alternate picking.. down, up, down, up

jackson_metal_head 2007-04-09 15:07

I think i started playing UBER simple metallica stuff like the begining of enter sandman and shit to start off, make sure you take it slow

good luck dude.

HAMMERSMASHEDFACE 2007-04-09 15:17

learn stuff that has to do with the type of music you like
learning scales that you will never use is a waste of time

tripton 2007-04-09 17:44

i think an easier riff to learn when you are starting out might be "Cloud Connected" from In Flames. I mean "easy" as in "you might get it after playing it for a couple months, don't expect to get it your first 2 weeks."

Mortal_Lament 2007-04-09 19:55

Here's some advice, do not go onto this forum. Although apparently you've searched the forums and found nothing on "where to get started," there have actually been countless. And from reading through these countless threads, you'll eventually make the wrong choice.
Let me explain. A lot of people on this forum learned by tabs, which is alright, i've seen really good guitarists that learn from tabs, but, i've seen more terrible guitarists. So in that sence, taking opinions such as "think i started playing UBER simple metallica stuff like the begining of enter sandman and shit" and "learning scales that you will never use is a waste of time," is a terrible idea.
Learning to play simple metallica will hardly help you play guitar, it will surely annoy the people around you when you try to show off. And how would a begginer guitarist know which scales he will never use?
Let me further com...explain with an example. There are mixed opinons. One person says learn chords first, other says learn scales. How will you know which one is right?
I digress. What i'm basically trying to say is: Talk to an experienced guitarist that you know, and have heard play face to face. It makes it a lot easier to trust him/her when you know they play well. My personal opinion is that you may be too old to learn notes, its like learning a new language. That could get frusturating and you could give up. Tabs would not be an entirily bad idea, but you arent going to become an amazing accomplished musician with them.

Silent Night 6 6 2007-04-09 20:05

Buy a beginners book, they cost less than $10. If you can't afford that....I don't know....

Sycophant 2007-04-09 20:39

I started out with "The Guitar Handbook" by Ralph Denyer. It's basically an overall "everything but the kitchen sink" book that covers every aspect of guitar playing/guitar maintennance/guiar theory/whatever. Another good book in this vein is "The Complete Guitarist" by Richard Chapman. These books are an awesome start I think. How far you go is up to you.

Lukus 2007-04-09 22:05

All righty well i know a guy that might be able to help ill try and get a hold of him. He's good. So ill start by talking to him.

Edit:

Yeah i can afford books and my grandmother just said she'll pay for lesson's.

So ill do that asap

guest 2007-04-10 05:24

pick up a book total guitar. Excellent!!, explains everything really well. starts off with the history, then keys of the piano and sheet music, time signatures, intervals, chord progress, scales, modes, maintenance, amps, recording.

I've had this book on my self for awhile, since I started playing, and it brought my playing to a another level w/ thorey and what not.

wizard of the chords 2007-04-11 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Night 6 6
Buy a beginners book, they cost less than $10. If you can't afford that....I don't know....

yeah buy a good book to start, just take it a page at a time and dont rush directly to the last page because you want to show off. There are a lot of decent books out there for beginners.

guest 2007-04-11 23:45

I just order lead metal guitar and speed mechanics by Stetina, Troy.

http://www.suncoast.com/viewfdsearc...Stetina,%20Troy

I'll post what I think of them when I get them.

JesterRaceWannabe 2007-04-12 00:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
I just order lead metal guitar and speed mechanics by Stetina, Troy.

http://www.suncoast.com/viewfdsearc...Stetina,%20Troy

I'll post what I think of them when I get them.

I really don't think Speed Mechanics is a good beginner book....in fact thats a pretty terrible idea. However, it's a great book to have later on.

guest 2007-04-12 01:05

Your right. I forgot he looking for beginner shit.

Lukus 2007-04-12 06:49

haha, yeah STARTING OUT... haha. yeah about books ive had a look, ill have another in the coming days. :)

edit:

I found activeguitar.com, what tutorials on there are good for me?....