MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Guitar player who inspired you to start playing? (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36065)

Manowarrior 2007-02-27 06:36

Guitar player who inspired you to start playing?

So lets start this one.

Jimi Hendrix
Ross The Boss
Karl Logan
Jimmy Page
Prince
Alex Lifeson

The all greatest who inspired me. :beer:

Soeru 2007-02-27 06:41

Blackmore.
Vogg.
Trey Azagthoth.
Dave Mustaine
Chris Poland
Marty Friedman
Dudes from Amon Amarth.
Ross the Boss.

The Doctor 2007-02-27 07:30

Jimi Hendriks, Elvis and Dimebag

fatdanny 2007-02-27 07:43

For me, it was probably Kirk Hammett

Mortal_Lament 2007-02-27 07:52

Zakk Wylde
Jason Becker
Marty Friedman
Van Halen (i cant help it, i was like...10)
Whatever that guy's name was in RATM and Audioslave...i'll check that out eventually.
Those are guitarists that inspired me to play rock/metal, i've been playing classical since i was just as wee lad

HAMMERSMASHEDFACE 2007-02-27 08:16

kirk hammet
james hetfield
(those 2 only on ride the lightning master of puppets and justice for all)
Anthrax
Kiss

Infinity 2007-02-27 08:28

the berzerker

johnmansley 2007-02-27 08:42

Slash, without a doubt.

Niro5150 2007-02-27 09:21

Zakk wylde :D , although i never listen to his stuff , even with ozzy.
One big one was Randy rhoads , especially with Crazy Train

PUngency 2007-02-27 10:48

I hate to admit it.
Korn
Limp Bizkit
System of a Down.

But I've come a long way to learn how to play some Disgorge, Soilent Green, Deeds of Flesh, and Suffocation.

rtownley 2007-02-27 10:50

Hendrix
Vaughn

R.I.P :angel:

BB King

k13m 2007-02-27 10:51

astennu from the very beginning, but i still find people that inspire me like eric johnson

ThornsOfHeaven200 2007-02-27 10:53

Kirk Hammett, James Hetfield, Jeff Hanneman, Kerry King, Dimebag and Slash all inspired me to START playing guitar. Ever since then a lot of other guitarists from various genres inspired me to be a better guitarist.

estringrev 2007-02-27 11:05

Actually my sister got me started playing guitar like 3 years ago, it was some stupid bet where I said I could be better than her in two weeks of playing. She had been playing for 4 years at the time I think.

The guitar players that inspired me to go further and work harder.

Friends - They have given me advice along the way

My guitar Teacher - He's been around since I started playing

Of course my sister all those years ago.

Metallica - They helped pull me into the metal world and play guitar.

Megadeth - They made me want to work harder and get better at my instrument.

Mohammad Scuimez - I've listened to a lot of different guitar players since I got into guitar oriented music, and the band I always go back to is Necrophagist. So he definitely is my favorite guitarist, and has pushed me to work harder.

That's about all.

BIG SHAFE 2007-02-27 11:44

Past:

Kirk Hammet
Slash
Eddie Van Halen
Kim Thayil
Jimmy Page
Kurt Cobain

More Recently:

Zakk Wylde (WOW!)
Kirk Hammet
Jimi Hendrix
Lynard Skynard (as a whole)
Kenny Wayne Sheppard

TangledMortalCoil 2007-02-27 11:51

i've listened to metal since i was maybe 9 or 10, but only began playing guitar after 20 so it's hard to say who made me go start. the guitarists who always made me wish i could play guitar were zakk wylde (i don't like BLS, i am talking about "no rest.." through "no more tears" era ozzy and also his pride & glory side project), jeff hanneman, kirk hammet, marty friedman, bill steer & mike amott. i would say randy rhoads too, because i always thought he was insanely talented, but the recording quality of the records he was on just sounded dull compared to the newer stuff. i came to appreciate him much more after i started playing guitar. still he always sounded incredible to me on "tribute" so that's probably one of my most favorite guitar albums of all. there were also some bands who i was not a huge fan of but loved their guitarists playing and tone, like rocky george of suicidal tendencies, allen west and james murphy in obituary, eddie van halen, and probably others.

Hecatomb 2007-02-27 12:17

Dave Mustaine was the biggest one for me.

JOAMdude 2007-02-27 12:53

Angus Young

Me himself 2007-02-27 13:05

Actually, the guitar itself interested me 1000 times more than any other instrument when I was a little kid, and it was only a matter of time before a guitar and I would meet (when I was about 14). But prior to actually picking it up, I went through a breif nu-metal phase, which was soon forged out of the picture upon discovering Slayer and Metallica (typical late-'90s kid's birth as a metalhead). But since I started playing, Chuck Schuldiner has been by leaps and bounds the single most influential figure on my playing and on my general take on music. I remember the first time I heard Death, it was surreal.. I was an instant fan, to say the least. Some other greatly influential players for me were Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Dave Mustaine, James Murphy, Hendrix, Slash, SRV, Dimebag, and plenty more..

L,B'XXX 2007-02-27 13:35

This is easy. Mr. Allshouse, my Jr. High choir director. He had an old Gibson ES and couldn't play piano so he'd play guitar. I heard "Joe Turner Blues" and was hooked.