MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bands (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Terrorizer Top 20 Bands of All Time (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35717)

johnmansley 2007-02-11 13:39

Terrorizer Top 20 Bands of All Time

Well, I was having a bit of a clean in my room today and stumbled upon Terrorizer issue 100 which, as part of the magazine's celebration of reaching that particular landmark, contained their list of the top 20 bands of all time. It went something like this:

1. Black Sabbath
2. Iron Maiden
3. Slayer
4. Motorhead
5. Napalm Death
6. Death
7. Metallica
8. Venom
9. Morbid Angel
10. Judas Priest
11. Celtic Frost
12. Carcass
13. Bathory
14. Discharge
15. Emperor
16. Godflesh
17. At The Gates
18. Neurosis
19. Possessed
20. Voivod

One can't argue with that list for the main part but I'm sure some of you may believe that there are a couple of notable exceptions. So then, thoughts and musings; are these the 20 best and most influential bands that the metal genre has produced?

timedragon 2007-02-11 13:58

Discharge is the only one i dont recognize. so, if i recognize 19 out of 20 of the "greatest bands of all time", i cant say i think that one should be included.

and i dont mean to say they arnt/werent important, i think its clear what i mean.

davie_gravy 2007-02-11 14:05

Cool!

Hecatomb 2007-02-11 14:06

I cant say I completely agree with it, but I think its decent enough.

Although its probably a sin to not have Mayhem up there, but hey, whatever.

Blood Red Bass 2007-02-11 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecatomb
I cant say I completely agree with it, but I think its decent enough.

Although its probably a sin to not have Mayhem up there, but hey, whatever.
Mayhem are the Motley Crue of black metal. Any one of the three black metal bands listed up there pWn3 the hell out of that band.

Pr0az 2007-02-11 14:31

decent list, i see a few bands missing but im not even sure how old this magazine is.

Hecatomb 2007-02-11 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Bass
Mayhem are the Motley Crue of black metal. Any one of the three black metal bands listed up there pWn3 the hell out of that band.

Not really. Like it or not, Mayhem was responsible for developing the black metal scene into what it is today. There wouldnt even be an Emperor if Euronymous hadnt influenced Samoth to create it. Theres a reason there's a tribute to Mayhem album; they are by far the most respected group within the black metal community.

moe_blunts 2007-02-11 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Bass

yea, that is just pretty much bullshit.

i think slayer are way too high on the list.

guitar_demon 2007-02-11 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedragon
Discharge is the only one i dont recognize. so, if i recognize 19 out of 20 of the "greatest bands of all time", i cant say i think that one should be included.

me too never heard of em so... *mad dash to metal-archives* :p

Wolfsherz 2007-02-11 15:34

Number 4 shoud be ABOVE number 3, BY MILES.
AND UMLAUT, BIATCH.

The Doctor 2007-02-11 15:37

amen to that

northerndarkness 2007-02-11 16:34

Ok, I've never heard of Discharge either. Maybe Mayhem should be in their place instead because I too agree that they are an important band in the metal scene (basically starting black metal).

sqol 2007-02-11 16:52

John, when was issue 100 out of curiosity, i'm assuming this is a fairly old (few years at least) list?

Dahmers Fridge 2007-02-11 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerndarkness
Ok, I've never heard of Discharge either. Maybe Mayhem should be in their place instead because I too agree that they are an important band in the metal scene (basically starting black metal).

Without Discharge you probably wouldn't have Mayhem.

And Terrorizer is on issue 154. So you're looking at nearly 5 years ago I guess.

northerndarkness 2007-02-11 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahmers Fridge

And Terrorizer is on issue 154. So you're looking at nearly 5 years ago I guess.

Really? Oh, well then I'm assuming they are an older metal band then. What era are they from?

far_beyond_sane 2007-02-11 19:57

Probably the only commercial magazine list (top 10 whatevers, best 5 somethings, etc.) I've ever seen which is mostly correct.

Infinity 2007-02-11 20:05

No, completely disagree.

belphegor79 2007-02-11 20:17

I'd say that's a pretty good list. Is it exact to what I think? No. Does that matter for a second? No. Personally I'm not really into Discharge, but they influenced a hell of a lot of bands I do enjoy. Should Motorhead be ahead of Slayer? Not in my opinion, but who cares, as they both should be high on the list as they are. I can think of other bands that COULD be there (Cannibal Corpse, Kreator, Sodom etc.) but I can't see anyone who should overwhelmingly be bumped.

JOAMdude 2007-02-11 20:24

you know i think kreator is a pretty influential band, because on pleasure to kill, there were veery very strong glimpses into the future of death metal, they didn't rreally stay the course but still

Cunty Shunt 2007-02-12 01:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahmers Fridge

With out Discharge you wouldn't have either of these:

5. Napalm Death

7. Metallica
8. Venom
9. Morbid Angel

12. Carcass