MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Three Fingered Picking (Alex Webster Style) (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357)

HeadlessKitty 2001-10-12 01:47

Three Fingered Picking (Alex Webster Style)

Over the past month I've been teaching myself to pick with three fingers. And might I say that damn, it's pretty hard. Even frustrating at times, but thats how you progress in your technique. I've also been slowly but surely getting better at tapping. I have a four-string bc rich warlock, but for some reason it seems easier to tap on a five-string innovator. I've also noticed that it is a little easier to tap with lower action, which is common sense, but I never thought of it before.

If anyone has any feedback on three-fingered picking or tapping The Great HeadlessKitty grants you permision to speak your piece.

Katham 2001-10-13 12:33

Three fingered picking makes the strings tear often...

If you've got a 6-string giutar, first you'd rather practice on that. It can help a lot...

Father Death 2001-10-13 12:47

webster style eh...fuck he's got all fingers going

Henry Wolfe 2002-04-17 21:53

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing as father death. Webster usses his pinky too.
But to learn how to use three fingers, start slow. Just turn your TV on and practice going (this is how I do it, others do it in reverse) ring, middle, first on the open E. Don't rush, just watch TV and keep it up to influence muscle memorization.
After you get that done preetty good, practice harder things, like going open G, open A, open E with three fingers. Then just start learning songs over again this time ussing your three fingers.

Def 2002-04-18 13:40

I got all fingers except my pinky going, getting your pinky going along is difficult as shit and I don't know why but when I try I just don't use it alot.. it's to weak or something :(

just practise a lot, don't mind mistakes to much, if you want to practise using 4 or 3 fingers taping your fingers in is also a solution to practise good.
just tape in your 2 fingers on the right side of your hand and the 2 fingers on the left side of you hand (the thumb is not counting in this matter...)

it sounds strange but this is also a way I practise sometimes, it's pretty darned difficult though.

Henry Wolfe 2002-04-18 21:24

Check out www.angryamputees.com there bass player has no fingers, or legs. It's a punk band, but I thought you all would be interested.
I know the drummer's brother. They're local, so I hear about 'em all the time.

The Crying Orc 2002-04-19 00:27

Haha,funny.

Punk is silly.....:rolleyes:

Henry Wolfe 2002-04-19 01:08

Quote:
Originally posted by The Crying Orc
Haha,funny.

Punk is silly.....:rolleyes:

that's sort of how I think of it. Some bands have a "heavy" image, but they're music is just ah... oh yeah silly that was it.
I have a cousin in a punk band, he's into Black Flag and stuff which is better than all that other punk junk. He really likes Slayer too. And the vocalist in my band has a cousin in New Found Glory (which is like the biggest punk band in the world).

The Crying Orc 2002-04-19 01:20

Oh......ok.

Def 2002-04-19 12:28

dude, punk is like all the same "wooooooohhhh" lyrical bullshit, some oldskool punkers stand for anarchy but in the same time they are fucking sellouts.
there aren't that many "true" punkbands if you ask me.

it's all about money and immitating.

NFG, is that the biggest punk band in the world?
I guess the most famous is Nofx or Lagwagon or for christ sakes maybe even Bink 182 hahahah

Tattered 2002-08-18 06:40

thats some freaky shit

mrweijia 2002-08-21 09:29

take some lessons in classical guitar and learn to do tremolo. its like trmeolo picking but with your fingers. porbably helps alot.

Rattlehead 2002-09-26 19:41

I found this 4 finger picking very interesting, so I decided to give it a try. I can pick pretty quickly on the same string, but I don't know if I'm doing it right. I can pick going from index to pinky, and I can pick going from pinky to index, but I don't know which one to do. And do you always follow that order? Like it gets complicated when you have to change string every note in some songs. I just lose track, and without realising it I go back to my habbit of using two fingers.

Oh and how does it make the strings tear? Am I doing it completely wrong? I don't see why it would make them tear any more than using two finger would. As for picking, I don't have the patience to do that, I just use fingers, I'm all disoriented using a pick, I really suck at it.

Np Carcass - Heartwork

Tattered 2002-09-27 12:59

Its not what is the 'right' way to do it, it is what is the most easy and comfortable for you, simply mine is Index to pinky. :)

westsiderrider 2004-07-11 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Wolfe
Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing as father death. Webster usses his pinky too.
But to learn how to use three fingers, start slow. Just turn your TV on and practice going (this is how I do it, others do it in reverse) ring, middle, first on the open E. Don't rush, just watch TV and keep it up to influence muscle memorization.
After you get that done preetty good, practice harder things, like going open G, open A, open E with three fingers. Then just start learning songs over again this time ussing your three fingers.

Sorry dude but webster DOSNT use all four fingers. He has said so himself. look at the cannibal corpse website and he says he has NEVER used four fingers.

Sodomaniac 2004-07-12 06:57

why don't you post the link ???

Disincarnate 2004-07-14 01:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Death
webster style eh...fuck he's got all fingers going

yeah.....three finger style is DiGiorgio style--->he is GOD

Disincarnate 2004-07-14 01:17

i use three finger technique myself......... i mute the string with my pinky......but if start slapping then i use my thumb to mute the string above and use the three fingers for slapping

blindhitman666 2004-07-14 13:11

are you guys talking about fingerstyle guitar? or what...like trem. i used to play some fingerstyle guitar some old spanish guitaring can calm any beast. ahhhhhhhh...

Unadorned 2004-07-14 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodomaniac
why don't you post the link ???

http://www.cannibalcorpse.org/faq.html

Scroll down a bit.