MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music Theory (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Death (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35244)

SolothurN 2007-01-23 06:54

Death

Guys, help me. For some time I was trying to figure out what's the scale that Death plays in, but I found nothing. Maybe anyone here knows it?

guitar_demon 2007-01-23 09:41

from what I have read with interviews of chuck, he said he never botherd to learn any real theory cause it bored him too much. so he may not be playing any 'true' scales

Transient 2007-01-23 09:50

on february 13th the american Guitar World magazine is going to have a large section on death,including two full transcriptions with bass and guitar. its possible that if chuck DID use theory (i dont think he did,either...) they would explain what it was in this article

tmfreak 2007-01-23 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_demon
from what I have read with interviews of chuck, he said he never botherd to learn any real theory cause it bored him too much. so he may not be playing any 'true' scales

Thats poppy cock.

They play in G minor often and G Harmonic Minor.

Now and again he MIGHT throw one note in there that doesn't revolve around that or some similar scales but i haven't heard anything earth shattering as far as different type of scales being used.

There isn't alot of dissonance in Death's music, which brings up the thought of tonal.

Sure he may have not gone "oh let me do this using this theory technique" but he most certainly knew what scales were and that he liked the sound of G minor in specific.

guitar_demon 2007-01-23 14:08

well i did say any real theory, not that he didnt know any single scales. but at the same time i took two years of theory and really dont stick to scales when i write

ThornsOfHeaven200 2007-01-23 14:36

I've also read interviews where Chuck said that he never studied theory since its not of interest to him. So it could be that when he writes material for songs, he just jams and messes with riffs and licks until they sound good, which would essentially be a trial and error way of finding a scale (a group of notes that sounds good together), if you get what i mean. So he might not know theory or very little of it and just experiments until he gets something that sounds good, which is what I along with several other people do to try to write original stuff. Just a thought though...
Anyway I cant wait till that Guitar World issue comes out in Feb. I'm definitely picking up a copy. Should be an interesting read.

davie_gravy 2007-01-23 14:38

He uses alot of the flavoring of the harmonic minor with emphasis on that major 7th resolvement. When I play around with the modes of the harmonic minor, I hear all those deathesqe sounds. Fool around with it, familiarize yourself with the finger patterns, then try to hack around with it.

HAMMERSMASHEDFACE 2007-01-23 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
on february 13th the american Guitar World magazine is going to have a large section on death,including two full transcriptions with bass and guitar. its possible that if chuck DID use theory (i dont think he did,either...) they would explain what it was in this article

i am so getting that

JOAMdude 2007-01-24 10:40

tm don't you mean E minor? and E harmonic minor? G minor would be this

----------------3-5-7------
----------3-5-6------------
----3-5-6------------------

powersofterror 2007-01-24 12:02

He's in D standard tuning. He plays the D hamonic minor scale, and like some metal and rock songs, goes up a string to--in D standard--G harmonic minor. Then back to D for the end. In other words, I-IV-I. Simple.

Obviously this isn't always the case, but it's close enough.

tmfreak 2007-01-24 18:10

To my knowledge i haven't heard E minor. I know what it sounds like cause i play E minor when i want to completely mix things up.

I know for a FACT alot of their songs are in G minor. I was going to say D minor. D minor is very similar except for one note difference. It sounds similar but has a slightly different feel. I play in Drop C so i don't neccesarily play that much death anymore (i could any day of the week) but i use the G minor alot and nearly everytime i do.. i'm like can you say death? haha

I can't speak about his solos because i'm not well versed in many death solos other than the select few i know. (hes just got a acompletely different style than me)

wolfsd 2007-02-13 17:21

I have answered this question before on this and several forums........

Chuck did not know, or care to learn theory......he used his ears to dictate what sounded good to him. Part of his arsenal can be explained by theorists, but for the most part he used patterns that sounded cool, just like many self taught guitarists....Dimebag.....Van Halen...etc....how do I know this???? I grew up around him, and jammed with him, I tried to show him a few things....but you CAN NOT interefere with genius and passion, both of which my departed friend had in spades.

steve

HAMMERSMASHEDFACE 2007-02-13 20:27

chuck took 2 classical lessons then got bored and no he didn't learn fancy shit he learned mary had a little lamb then he baught some bc rich copy and became obbsessed with the guitar and was influenced by iron maiden and learned by ear so that is where he proably learned all that crazy shit

Me himself 2007-02-14 02:24

Well, for a straight forward approach, just take a listen to any of their riffs that follow a straight scale, like the fill in Crystal Mountain or the intro in Within The Mind.

Unanything 2007-02-14 11:45

I thought he knew scales... Hmmm... He must at least of known how scales worked. And he also seems to have a good way with accidental notes.

davie_gravy 2007-02-14 13:19

He knows scales. He knows em so well he knows exactly what notes 'not' to hit, hence his unique sound.

Unanything 2007-02-15 04:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie_gravy
He knows scales. He knows em so well he knows exactly what notes 'not' to hit, hence his unique sound.

Yeah, that's what I thought. The fill in Crystal Mountain uses a harmonic minor shape I never thought of before I saw it. I like how he sometimes misses out bits of minor to produce a Japanese sound.

Cribriform_Fortis 2007-02-24 10:07

A quick hello, just joined this forum.

I agree on the notion that Chuck never really sat down to learn scales or theory, rather just played (in one or two interviews) what he felt, and so in such a set sound good to him, is a scale--I have done the same, and know others who don't follow scales. Here is one I recorded a while back, and I wish I could tell you which interview this was:

Pit: "How do you feel about learning theory and reading music?"

Chuck: "I think that no theory is good theory. Nothing turns me off as much as some teacher or book telling you how you should play, and what's right and what's wrong. Theory takes the rock 'n roll out of playing, and you end up sounding mechanical because you're more concerned with watching your fingers play the correct scales than just letting go and playing what you feel in your gut. I have no desire to ever learn music theory."

Music theory reliance --> :behead:

Soeru 2007-02-24 10:18

I think learning music theory has its uses to actually understand music a lot better, just not for writing it. The whole "learn the rules then break them" notion is absolute bullshit. 90% of rock/metal guitarists and an even higher amount of death metal guitarists are proof of this.

Heavy Jerk 2007-02-24 18:24

*agrees

That may be the truth in other forms of music, such as jazz, where knowing theory plays big role in artist's music, but in Metal and Rock'n'Roll - not. Those are music forms which have, let's say, 'rebellious' sound. Now, I am not saying knowing it automatically sucks, by default, there are bunch of good players that know it, but imo, what brought Metal where is nowdays, is that 'by ear' attitude.