MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   3 strings (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34918)

CannibalXampire 2007-01-06 18:45

3 strings

So my A string snapped (i dont know how) so I was wondering what songs would be fun to play with just 3 strings? Hmmmmmm

Requiem 2007-01-06 19:16

You can still play anything.

BassBehemoth 2007-01-06 21:06

When a string breaks it's a good time for improvising. I have broken a lot of strings in the past.

CannibalXampire 2007-01-06 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
You can still play anything.
Shhhh

Requiem 2007-01-06 23:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannibalXampire
Shhhh

Ok baby.

corroded 2007-01-07 00:22

there was this band from Goa back in 2003 whose bassie's one string brke & they played the whole set with a 3-stringer. they played everything from burzum to sepultura to marlyn manson to black sabbath that night. laugh riot there was!

sixsicsix 2007-01-07 02:07

just buy a new string you cheap bastard

CannibalXampire 2007-01-07 03:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix
just buy a new string you cheap bastard
Can I have $15?? No? Shut up then.

sixsicsix 2007-01-07 22:03

lawl, just go suck off some black dude for 15 dollars.
and why the hell are you dropping 15 bucks for an A string?

CannibalXampire 2007-01-07 22:23

Havent seen anywhere that you can buy individual strings

LOL A BLACK DUDE not just a DUDE but a black one! LOLZERZ OMFGZZZ!!!111oneoneoneone

Valtiel 2007-01-07 22:31

Uhhh usually any guitar store sells individual strings. I still cant figure out how you break a bass string. Are they really cheap strings? Do your saddles have sharp edges? Do you play with a machete?

CannibalXampire 2007-01-07 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
Uhhh usually any guitar store sells individual strings. I still cant figure out how you break a bass string. Are they really cheap strings? Do your saddles have sharp edges? Do you play with a machete?
Don't ask me...I broke an entire set of strings before.

I've never seen individual string sellage.

Valtiel 2007-01-08 01:13

An entire set?!? :eek:

You might want to invest in some better strings.

The Doctor 2007-01-08 10:00

boil em, and improve your slapping skills :rofl:

BassBehemoth 2007-01-08 12:53

Quote:

No, you can play/slap/pop too hard. :idea:

Valtiel 2007-01-08 19:10

Anyone who breaks a string by slapping and popping too hard has horrible technique. You would have to slap/pop wayyyyy too hard on a pretty consistent basis to break strings.

Rattlehead 2007-01-08 19:31

Quote:
Anyone who breaks a string by slapping and popping too hard has horrible technique. You would have to slap/pop wayyyyy too hard on a pretty consistent basis to break strings.

Actually I've broken many strings throughout my short lifetime as a bassist, but never while slapping.

They mainly break when I use the "hit the string real hard so that you get the metallic click of the string on the fretbord" technique, like Steve Harris does. Hell, I've even broken the same A string twice. How? When I'm bored sometimes I'll take strings that broke at the bridge, unwind them, set the end ball further up the core string, and rewind, all with a couple pairs of pliers and my bare hands. Talk about too much time on my hands ...
I've never broken a B, and only ever one G string though, probably because those get the least amount of play. A is the most common breaker, followed my D, and my bridge has no sharp points on the saddles.

Edit: (I now remember) The only time I broke strings when NOT using the abovementioned aggressive technique was with light gauge strings .... but this doesn't explain why I broke so few G's

BassBehemoth 2007-01-08 20:12

Quote:

Pfft, I've been playing bass for 6 years. Go fuck yourself.

Tattered 2007-01-08 21:00

I say get a new set, and if you cant afford it.. get a job! ;)

Valtiel 2007-01-08 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Pfft, I've been playing bass for 6 years. Go fuck yourself.

Well dude its one of three things.

1) Poor quality strings,
2) Bad technique,
3) Sharp angles on your saddles (if the strings are breaking at the bridge)

So take your pick.