MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   String Gauges (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34486)

blitz906 2006-12-14 07:12

String Gauges

So...yeah, just wondering what kind of string gauges you all use.

epitaph 2006-12-14 08:29

105 - 85 - 65 - 45

I tune to E and C#

Rattlehead 2006-12-14 17:13

I didn't vote, because I'm too embarrassed at what the best applicable answer is: "I don't know, I'm a noob"

I haven't come across a set of strings that I'm satisfied with, to tell the truth, let alone a string gauge I prefer. Actually, I can hardly tell the difference between string gauges in terms of feel, or is the only difference in sound?
I've recently switched from Light Gauge Elixirs to Heavy Gauge Ernie Ball Super Slinkys, and after about a month of playing the Ernie Balls I can't tell the difference anymore, they completely dead sounding already. To me heavy gauge seems better for slap, but doesn't really make a difference otherwise. Then again maybe its just because Ernie Ball is good for slap, I don't know really.

Does string gauge really matter?

Valtiel 2006-12-14 20:11

String gauge matters quite a bit, although I would say more so for guitarists than bass players. Heavier string gauge tends to equal a fatter tone and the string tension is higher, making them a little harder to play. A lighter gauge will tend to sound brighter with less bottom end and feel less taught than a heavy gauge set.

Requiem 2006-12-14 20:27

Medium

Rattlehead 2006-12-15 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
String gauge matters quite a bit, although I would say more so for guitarists than bass players. Heavier string gauge tends to equal a fatter tone and the string tension is higher, making them a little harder to play. A lighter gauge will tend to sound brighter with less bottom end and feel less taught than a heavy gauge set.
I guess that explains why bending was easier with the lighter set and also why my current set sounds so much better for slapping and lower stuff in general.

Cool. You've pretty much put into words exactly what I felt but could not explain about Elixirs. A better sounding high end but poor low end.

Do they sell custom light sets for bass like they do for guitar? (that is, sets with heavy low strings and light high strings)

blitz906 2006-12-19 05:59

hmm...medium and heavy gauge are tied. USE HEAVY YOU SISSY TWATS! lol j/k :D

matterthief 2007-02-24 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906
hmm...medium and heavy gauge are tied. USE HEAVY YOU SISSY TWATS! lol j/k :D

I have a question for both of you guys that use heavy gauge strings. I'm wondering if I went up from my current 105's if my strings wouldn't feel so "slinky" when I downtune. I'm sure there is some difference but is it significant enough to justify the expense of getting my action adjusted and buying new strings?

blitz906 2007-03-06 04:00

Yes...that's one of the reasons that I use heavy gauge. More tension. And a fatter sound with a more 'in your face' sound. Just remember that if you do decide to change to heavy gauge, you will notice the strain on your fingers/hands until they get stronger and adapt to the tighter tension, and the skin on your fingers might even hurt a little bit more...mine blistered after the first 4 days, but I developed thicker calluses so it's all good.

Hope you like the new feeling if you do decide to change.

~Cheers :beer:

BassBehemoth 2007-03-06 08:16

I go for the lighter gauges. :beer:

blitz906 2007-03-10 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
I go for the lighter gauges. :beer:

You east coast sissy :rofl: j/k
Any reason as to why you prefer light gauge?

sixsicsix 2007-03-10 19:48

hes probably going for a more high-endish tone.
ex: necrophagist, cryptopsy.
maybe he uptunes?

blitz906 2007-03-10 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix
hes probably going for a more high-endish tone.
ex: necrophagist, cryptopsy.
maybe he uptunes?

lol who the hell uptunes? I've never met, or heard of anybody that has.

matterthief 2007-03-12 20:41

Quote:
Yes...that's one of the reasons that I use heavy gauge. More tension. And a fatter sound with a more 'in your face' sound. Just remember that if you do decide to change to heavy gauge, you will notice the strain on your fingers/hands until they get stronger and adapt to the tighter tension, and the skin on your fingers might even hurt a little bit more...mine blistered after the first 4 days, but I developed thicker calluses so it's all good.

Sounds good. I'm getting an old '86 Guild Pilot in a couple weeks. I think I'll take your advice and have heavies installed on it. I'll let you know how much pain I'm in after I break in the new strings.

Thanks!

:beer:

Unholy Wretch 2007-03-13 01:54

what gauge would you consider if you do fast finger picking, but also incorporate the odd slap and pop's to songs?

blitz906 2007-03-13 02:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy Wretch
what gauge would you consider if you do fast finger picking, but also incorporate the odd slap and pop's to songs?

I'd go with medium personally. Maybe light, but I'm not sure...I've never used light.

matterthief 2007-04-17 17:17

Quote:

I've had my Guild with the heavies on it (.110 RotoSounds) now for over a week. I had it set up for D standard tuning with passive/active SD Basslines and a Bartolini board.

There is a definite improvement in responsiveness with the heavies over the medium gauge. It doesn't feel near as "slinky" as downtuning medium strings from E. Definitely more tension as you said. Being setup specifically for D is a big help too. I notice the difference in feel but I haven't been blistering. That's because there is still a lack of tension from being tuned down to D. If I had heavies set for 'E' I would definitely feel it.

The sound is fatter too - the open D a real earthshaker!

sixsicsix 2007-04-17 19:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by matterthief
I've had my Guild with the heavies on it (.110 RotoSounds) now for over a week. I had it set up for D standard tuning with passive/active SD Basslines and a Bartolini board.

There is a definite improvement in responsiveness with the heavies over the medium gauge. It doesn't feel near as "slinky" as downtuning medium strings from E. Definitely more tension as you said. Being setup specifically for D is a big help too. I notice the difference in feel but I haven't been blistering. That's because there is still a lack of tension from being tuned down to D. If I had heavies set for 'E' I would definitely feel it.

The sound is fatter too - the open D a real earthshaker!

dont you have a warmoth bass? I was thinking about getting one made with a LP body.
You think they could rout it for a kahler trem instead of a hipshot trem?
just askin

BassBehemoth 2007-04-19 23:50

Quote:
You east coast sissy :rofl: j/k
Any reason as to why you prefer light gauge?

For more of a treble tone. I'll get mediums though if nothing else is available.

Edit - I may be buying a used Ibanez SR405 within the next couple of days..I'm considering to get a heavy gauge set..for the first time ever.

matterthief 2007-04-21 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix
dont you have a warmoth bass? I was thinking about getting one made with a LP body.
You think they could rout it for a kahler trem instead of a hipshot trem?
just askin

I have a warmoth jazz, a warmoth/fender jazz and now a Guild Pilot. Pilots originally sold for close to $1K now you can get them on e-bay for under $300. They were made famous in the eighties by Marc "Animal" Mendoza of Twisted Sister and some guy named Jaco. :rolleyes: Now they are forgotten. Great fast necks on them. I bought it for a fun new project (http://www.myspace.com/diesocket if you're curious) that requires downtuning and the 80's retro look doesn't hurt.

Anyway, Warmoth is particular about what they will and won't do. But they are nice to work with - just give them a call and ask. They went out of their way to route room for a DiMarzio X2N-B to fit under the pickguard of the jazz body I ordered from them. It seems they will do what they can for you.