MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music Theory (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   dual guitar song writing (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3404)

Gigantic Penis 2002-09-29 18:57

dual guitar song writing

ive noticed with some bands that have 2 guitarists, they often will play the same riff on different frets...

say 1 guitarists plays a riff, and guitarist #2 plays the same thing only 2 frets higher...

will this give it a better sound than just having em both play the same thing?
obviously it would make for a higher sound, but is there another purpose to doing it?

Midnight 2002-09-29 19:22

it's harmonizing.. I think it sounds good.. it has it's place just like everything else I guess.. if a band did it alot I guess it would get tiring..

everlost23 2002-09-29 19:23

yep, its all about harmony. See Iron Maiden. non stop harmony :beer:

Dyldo 2002-09-29 19:44

the most common are 3rds and 5ths. to do it find the note that you origannaly play it on. then go three notes over so like this

A

ABCDEFGABCDEFG

so to do 3rds go three over so it would be a C. Simple as that and it makes the iron maden sound. you can do it with everything 2nds dont sound good and 7ths are just shitty but every thing else is great sounding, try it.

Clad in Shadows 2002-09-29 20:41

in flames always has harmony and they don't get tiring :)

Midnight 2002-09-29 21:21

Yeah yeah I know.. I knew i'd get shit for saying that comment about getting tiring..;)

morbid_death 2002-09-29 22:14

yes, harmonizing.

or, sometimes known as 'wire choir'.

its very very popular among the sweedish metal/melodic death scene. ie; enter my silence, in flames, at the gates, etc

3rds is wat many of them play in, its more on the minor.

at http://www.ultimate-guitar.com they have some good theory lessons explaining 1st's right through to 12th's and so forth.

memnoch 2002-10-01 05:35

Death also uses a lot of harmonized riffs.....really cool.

SandBlastedSkin 2002-10-01 11:40

when slayer does it, it makes the song a lot more evil sounding

morbid_death 2002-10-02 00:13

thats because of the scale.....do it in major and it sounds like the ice cream mans comming :D

me and me bands other guitarist were fucking around with harmonies the other day and seeing wat funky shit we could come up with (moving back and forth and away from each other on the leads and scales) and the coolest thing we did was harmonize the national geographic theme :D

ramy sidky 2002-10-02 09:06

Quote:
Originally posted by morbid_death
and the coolest thing we did was harmonize the national geographic theme :D

lol

morbid_death 2002-10-02 11:51

Quote:
Originally posted by ramy sidky
lol

dont knock it till you've tried it man :D:D :D

0ni 2002-10-02 18:50

yeah. i like arch enemy's harmonizing and twin guitar playing alot. it just sounds so good. yeah.let's say someone was playing a solo based on the scale of D+, you can have someone play it's minor relative of Bb. cool stuff. every band should have twin guitars

SicSyco 2005-10-21 23:02

harmonizing is the shit, but too many bands around where i am just do that and nothing else really, they all just sound like "eternity is within" from Shadows Fall off of "The War Within". it sickens me, i mean i suck ass, but at least i play music that makes old folks cringe, i know i've played in front of them

:stoned:

Amadeus 2005-10-22 02:18

Then just imagine what a second guitar, harmonizing, would do...
Here they more sort of curl up at the edges.

davie_gravy 2005-10-22 03:39

What you do... is make some badass music, then find out how you can add another guitars sound in there to accompany the other. Sometimes I'll just hear the other guitar just wail on one note, but for the whole, ... nothing sounds better.

Amadeus 2005-10-22 11:05

It's like singing. After a certain number has been reached, even soccer fans sounds more or less acceptable.

YJM04 2005-10-22 16:07

this threads gay, just think of four part harmonizing, alto,tenor,baritone(bass), and soprano(not the t.v. show)

TangledMortalCoil 2005-11-10 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
the most common are 3rds and 5ths. to do it find the note that you origannaly play it on. then go three notes over so like this

A

ABCDEFGABCDEFG

so to do 3rds go three over so it would be a C. Simple as that and it makes the iron maden sound. you can do it with everything 2nds dont sound good and 7ths are just shitty but every thing else is great sounding, try it.

does this explain why when i play B-tuned stuff in E (without adjusting the fretting) it sounds "right"?

powersofterror 2005-11-10 12:07

This isn't guitar talk so I'm gonna move it to theory.