MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Ancient history (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33829)

*insert name here* 2006-11-13 03:34

Ancient history

hey, talk ancient history here. Who was your favorite civilisation, what are some of your favorite events? Any problems you have with some of the more debatable matters?

low-tech 2006-11-13 05:37

been reading on the ottoman empire lately, not really ancient tho.

ive been more into mythology recently, read some of the eddas,iliad and odessy.

i have the aenid but cant really settle into it.

Infinity 2006-11-13 06:08

Low Tech - who the fuck is Ultimate Warrior and where can I read more of his Hilarious posts?

Anyway favourite civilisation? hm......

Prolly the celtic druids?

*insert name here* 2006-11-13 06:31

The Illiad is cool, do you think Troy existed, or do you think Homer is pulling it out of his arse?
Norse mythology is one of my favorites, I just ordered a hardcopy of the Prose Edda for myself.
Speaking of Celts, their mythos is damn interesting also. I love the European Barbarians in general, especially the barbarian invasions in the late Roman empire.

Blood Red Bass 2006-11-13 08:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
Low Tech - who the fuck is Ultimate Warrior and where can I read more of his Hilarious posts?

Anyway favourite civilisation? hm......

Prolly the celtic druids?
He is a retired professional wrestler, formerly of the WWF. Wikipedia it.

Dahmers Fridge 2006-11-13 09:19

Deep Purple fans :D Oh damn they ain't civilised :p

I'd have to say probably ancient Rome, probably just for the orgies and Christian munching Lions amongst other things. I'd probably spend most of my time quoting Spartacus or Life of Brian :D
I'd also have to say Qin Shi Huang era China, probably just to see the terracotta army being built! That shit interests me.

xgrafcorex 2006-11-13 10:01

vote for the new 7 wonders of the world: http://www.new7wonders.com/

Blood Red Bass 2006-11-13 10:17

Tch, I'm with the ancient egyptians. Karl Sanders is with me too.

The Doctor 2006-11-13 10:19

i like the mythological stuff (especially homer) :homer:

blizzard_beast 2006-11-13 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by *insert name here*
The Illiad is cool, do you think Troy existed, or do you think Homer is pulling it out of his arse?

The archaeologists Schliemann, Korfmann and Blegen have already proved that Troy existed. Whether the Trojan war happened in the way it did, and exactly how much of a historical element there is in Homer's works is up for debate. I think all that Homer's works provide is a time-frame and accurate geography of the Trojan war, since the rest is pretty much mythical exaggeration.

Anyway, yes, ancient history is cool. Within the limits of civilisations that existed before middle Rome, I'd have to go for Greece. Tons of interesting stuff, and a lot of great source material to read, like Herodotus and Thucydides. Favourite events? Probably the Greco-Persian and Peloponnesian wars

Roman history is great too, though. I'm reading Tacitus now, and I'm loving his style.

Quote:
Norse mythology is one of my favorites, I just ordered a hardcopy of the Prose Edda for myself.

So this isn't just a thread on ancient history? Or do you have a different definiton of ancient history than most do?

Since Norse mythology was mentioned, I'll go ahead and mention some more of my favourite time periods.

14th century Europe is fantastic. A lot of interesting stuff happening: 100 years war, wars between the Italian city-states, bubonic plague...definitely my favourite period of weapons and warfare study.

low-tech 2006-11-13 10:51

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P39b7v1wzfg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68JsdHEfHXM

heres some ultimate warrior shoot interviews

on topic. the iliad, i believe, was a merging of many oral histories of troy. there are many sites that archeologist believe is troy, literally city stacked on top of city somewhere in western anatolia.

they dont really know which one was indeed the actual troy and from what time period.....or if it was even called troy. and most historians believe a series of wars in 1200 bc is where we have these legends

homer penned down his story 600 years after the fact and so, to him, it was already a legend.

the iliad is a national epic, not a religious document in the sense the bible is. it was a tool for teaching people to read moreso than anything.

the eddas is something i want to read more of, i read a bunch of mistranslated stuff by an author who wanted to conflate certain stories with some hi-brow philiosphy.

L,B'XXX 2006-11-13 11:00

Prehistorically speaking I'd like to know what my yard was like pre-glacial and a few thousand years after when there were people hunting here.

Ten Ton Alien 2006-11-13 11:44

my own country's history. we were the USA of 500 years ago.

Blood Red Bass 2006-11-13 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Ton Alien
That's not ancient history. :homer:

tmfreak 2006-11-13 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Bass
That's not ancient history. :homer:

You're telling me the US isn't part of... ancient history? *gulp* :(

low-tech 2006-11-13 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Ton Alien

alot of you portagese descend from the pheonicians/carthaginians<who held ports in spain and portagul for centuries>, which explains the naval talents of your people throughout history up till the industrial revolution.

Requiem 2006-11-13 15:28

Just play Age of Empires.

xgrafcorex 2006-11-13 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
Just play Age of Empires.

haven't played that in a whlie...good game! i've never played the newer ones though.

Transient 2006-11-13 16:26

Quote:
Speaking of Celts, their mythos is damn interesting also. I love the European Barbarians in general, especially the barbarian invasions in the late Roman empire.

yeah it existed in some form

my favorite is nose mythology, the poems and tales of that time are shockingly easy to read (probably due to a less developed language? id have to study icelandic to understand why). ive read the odyessy and the aeneid, neither did it for me

BassBehemoth 2006-11-13 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
my favorite is nose mythology

LOLOLOLO.