MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Playing Blind (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3378)

onceinalifetime 2002-09-28 05:12

Playing Blind

How Many People here actually know waht they are doing on the guitar, i mean how many of you have the theory on music and guitar, coz i was talking to some guy the other day and he has no idea about it at all, and i just think it must be like playing BLIND:flame:

Darkenelf 2002-09-28 05:22

re:

Just play a song a lot, and you can play the song with your eyes shut.

MuDSLiPDEMON 2002-09-28 07:21

I will learn everything soon enough..

mrweijia 2002-09-28 11:47

i bet alot of people just play, without even bothering to understand it. but then again, there are people who could tell you every note they play

Pablo 2002-09-28 11:51

I know a little of theory...

ramy sidky 2002-09-28 12:23

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkenelf
Just play a song a lot, and you can play the song with your eyes shut.

I don't think he meant that .

memnoch 2002-09-28 13:12

I try playing "blind" sometimes.....i don't close my eyes, but i just look away. It's pretty fun to see if i can keep up.

jaystanton 2002-09-28 13:19

I don't actually believe in a certain theory about my playing. I just try to play as good as I can.
What playing blind concerns.... When you have played certain songs as many times as I have, you just pick the notes and chords without thinking about it. Some songs have become sort of a routine.

Darkenelf 2002-09-29 01:05

re

Quote:
Originally posted by ramy sidky

I don't think he meant that .

sorry I'm not joking!!

Ok, solo's i can't with my eyes closed!

but the rest is not that difficult, depends on the song.
I bet you can play bands as:
Rammstein,
Metallica
Hammerfall
Anathema
My Dying Bride

with your eyes closed

I even can play Lethe of Dark Tranquillity with my eyes closed.
easy song :)

but I play it every day, just once

haha

Darkenelf 2002-09-29 01:06

re

btw, do some rock music or nu-metal stuff,

easy way to learn, to play with your eyes closed

PST 88 2002-09-29 01:52

It aint hard to play with your eyes closed. How else would people do the behind your back shit?

But, that's not what he was asking. He compared playing without understanding theory to playing blind. The question is how people cope without knowing theory. The answer: On guitar, pretty goddamn easily. It's probably the most played instrument out there, and a lot of people just pick it up and go. It's too easy to learn three or four chords and a moveable pentatonic and just go. Probably the majority of guitarists out there dont understand theory. You can get pretty good without it, unless you wanna do shred, in which case, uh, no. But there's more to guitar than the notes and the theory.

And whoever said they dont play with a particular theory: that's priceless. You completely missed what he was talking about. Music Theory is not your theory on music dude. It's more like math.

CtHuLhU DaWn 2002-09-29 04:48

to tackle both issues.

A) playing Blind:

I can play a lot of shit without looking, CFH solo is easy as fuck without looking, haha (seriosuly).
IT takes getting used to, i dont even think about what i play, which leads me to my next point...

b) Playing Blind:

when i learn a song i dont anylyze it, i play it as they meant it to be played, if its my own song, then of course i anylyze it, work around scales and shit (a.k.a Basic theory), Its all good

alexguitargodbu 2002-09-29 11:34

you guys are fools. you need theory. pik up a clasical guitar and get a teacher. theyll wip you into shape like they did me. youll be much better at guitar too. and youll realize that electric guitar is easy. clasical is so much harder, even when you compare it to solos. the hardest stuff is like kirk hammet with more crak and twice the difficulty.

mrweijia 2002-09-29 12:06

its true, classical is hard. but how do people like jimi and zakk play with their teeth? dothey have buckteeth or soemthig?

CtHuLhU DaWn 2002-09-29 13:09

They dont, they fingertap with the guitar on their face....

Def 2002-09-29 13:20

Haha... I've seen the hendrix video, pretty funny

anyways, theory is important!

I play bass and even I have to learn theory!
for bass it's pretty neat to know theorie, you don't really need sheet music anymore and the most stuff is just plain feeling.

all the songs of my band are pretty complicated though I can play about everything except for the bass solo's with my eyes closed, I like contact with the crowd so I watch into the crowd verry often

Becker rules 2002-09-29 16:02

Quote:
Originally posted by mrweijia
its true, classical is hard. but how do people like jimi and zakk play with their teeth? dothey have buckteeth or soemthig?

they cheat they dont play with there teeth, they play legato (hammer ons and pull offs) and pretend to pick with there teeth any idiot that really picks with there teeth would
a - sound crap, its impossible to play clean and accurate like that.

b - need 1 hell of a dentist for when you rip the gums clean outta yer mouth.

CtHuLhU DaWn 2002-09-29 16:11

Quote:
Originally posted by CtHuLhU DaWn
They dont, they fingertap with the guitar on their face....
A) i just quoted mysefl, hehe

B) READ THAT BECKER! ITS WHAT I JUST SAID!

CtHuLhU DaWn 2002-09-29 16:12

Quote:
Originally posted by Becker rules
they cheat they dont play with there teeth, they play legato (hammer ons and pull offs)

Isnlt Legato Long smooth notes, as Staccato is a sharp short note..

alexguitargodbu 2002-09-29 16:21

yes, it is. doesnt he use his nose? i went to an ozzy concert not too long ago and saw zakk during his 15 minute solo and he played with his nose. that guy is pretty tuff.