MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Disgust with slap technique (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33568)

bassist_of_light 2006-11-01 14:24

Disgust with slap technique

Ill admit it, im a bass player of four and half years and i dont really like slap lines,because people do it just to do it. Not because its a tool, just because its fast and impressive ( for about a minute!!!lol). Master fingerstyle first then try slap is my motto. I dont even bother with slap technique that much, tapping i really enjoy because it opens up more possibilities with chords and overtones, but slap is mostly just gobs of dead notes with a note or two in between. The only notable exceptions to this case are Wooten, Mark king, and Flea. Does anyone else agree or am i the only person who gets sick of every stinking bass solo or funk line i hear anymore being played slap style? Im interested in what some other players think about this.

Requiem 2006-11-01 16:34

I just recently started learning songs with slap lines. I hate how my amp puts out the sound of my slaps. It sounds very dual.Is it because of my amp settings or just my bass or am I doing something wrong.I really like slap lines especialy Wootens lines, Choy does some too.When I slap I use the side of my thumb but it sounds nothing like any one elses slaps, even when my friend slaps on my bass it sounds better to me.I dont understand this.Is there something i'm doing wrong or what is it I would like to know.Im getting a amp this weekend and i'll record me playing a few lines.

Julien 2006-11-02 06:17

I agree with you bassist of light. However, listen to a guy called Alain Caron, especially to songs like "D-Code" or "Slam the clown". He uses slap techniques in a very musical and melodic way. And he is damn good!

Def 2006-11-02 06:31

You shouldn't botter playing slap if you're not good at it yet, that's the major malfunction of bassist throwing out corny slap riffs.
Some guys however master it perfectly and then it has a lot of added value.

And it's not ''mostly just gobs of dead notes with a note or two in between.'' then you just haven't listened good enough ;)

bassist_of_light 2006-11-02 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien
I agree with you bassist of light. However, listen to a guy called Alain Caron, especially to songs like "D-Code" or "Slam the clown". He uses slap techniques in a very musical and melodic way. And he is damn good!

yes alain caron is definitely an exception but he does it all not just slap

bassist_of_light 2006-11-02 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
You shouldn't botter playing slap if you're not good at it yet, that's the major malfunction of bassist throwing out corny slap riffs.
Some guys however master it perfectly and then it has a lot of added value.

And it's not ''mostly just gobs of dead notes with a note or two in between.'' then you just haven't listened good enough ;)

i have transcribed and listened to many slap players, and most of what i hear is just buttloads of dead notes with some quick sixteenth notes thrown in, im a decent slap player and have the technique pretty well down, i just dont like how overused it is, and how impressed people are when some guy open hammer plucks root octaves all the way down the fretboard, come on thats lame!!! I much prefer jaco or sheehan when it comes to solo time.

VolVox 2006-11-02 11:06

I dont like slapping that much either, I dont even bother about learning as it takes much time to master it, although i know the basics.

PST 88 2006-11-02 11:16

I also find slap bass disgusting. It's revolting, unnatural, and an offense before man and God. All you people defending it are sinners destined for the fires and ice of hell!

bassist_of_light 2006-11-02 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
I also find slap bass disgusting. It's revolting, unnatural, and an offense before man and God. All you people defending it are sinners destined for the fires and ice of hell!

um ok.......

let me guess more people poking fun at my faith, i believe what i believe you believe what you believe keep the thread on topic, if this was a forum about different religions i would not care, this is SLAP BASS, so lay off immature fag :smash:

stupid....people.....

Paedophage 2006-11-03 08:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88

:rofl:

Anyway, i'm not a bassist myself, but I agree that slapping is often an overused techinque. But it is somewhat interesting when applied to electric guitar...I don't understand why more people don't slap, especially in metal. You can get some pretty funky harmonics from slapping....not really a good technique to coast on, but nice for adding little textures to passages.

Actually, I think that can really be applied to any technique. Everything in moderation. Slap Bass is fine as long as it's not your main thing... Whats the point of playing an instrument if you're not going to be a well rounded player? It's pretty much the same with guitar, it would be pretty boring if everyone did tapping all the time. :smash:

bassist_of_light 2006-11-03 10:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paedophage
:rofl:

Anyway, i'm not a bassist myself, but I agree that slapping is often an overused techinque. But it is somewhat interesting when applied to electric guitar...I don't understand why more people don't slap, especially in metal. You can get some pretty funky harmonics from slapping....not really a good technique to coast on, but nice for adding little textures to passages.

Actually, I think that can really be applied to any technique. Everything in moderation. Slap Bass is fine as long as it's not your main thing... Whats the point of playing an instrument if you're not going to be a well rounded player? It's pretty much the same with guitar, it would be pretty boring if everyone did tapping all the time. :smash:

agreed well roundedness is the way to go

NaTo 2006-11-03 14:53

the non-bassist think the bass is only to slap, and when they have one on their hands.....the slap it.............................all people do this.............

Thanks y KEEP SUPPORTING DEATHMETAL & GRINDCORE

Def 2006-11-03 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassist_of_light
i have transcribed and listened to many slap players, and most of what i hear is just buttloads of dead notes with some quick sixteenth notes thrown in, im a decent slap player and have the technique pretty well down, i just dont like how overused it is, and how impressed people are when some guy open hammer plucks root octaves all the way down the fretboard, come on thats lame!!! I much prefer jaco or sheehan when it comes to solo time.

then you've been transcribing the wrong stuff.
Sure Jaco is cool. but bass solo's are not. some people just never get it. PST has a point here.

sixsicsix 2006-11-03 17:33

why arent bass solos cool?
have you heard only ash remains?
most of you think slap is overrated and over used because it IS.
the mainstream bassists slap about 4 notes in a song and all of the sudden, the media turns them into a sudo bass god.

example: mudvayne - dig

good song, but the slapping in it is stupid and not needed. it could easily be strummed.
if you want propper slap that wont bore you to sleep, try primus or any funk.

Tattered 2006-11-03 17:59

Bass solo's ARE cool if used in the right place.. any solo is cool if its in a place where its needed.. but it also depends what sort of band your in.. (style wise)

I used to be a mega slap player, tryed to get down all of wootens chops.. 80 percent of my playing was slap for a couple months of my playing, once you master it.. you have a big obsession with it.. but after a while slapping everything sounds stupid and you realise how pointless it is and that your hardly going to use it on a gig unless your in a level 42 tribute..

I havent practiced my slap chops in ages! but slap can be very effective in the right place and genre..

Bassist of light...I can see your reasons of hating slap, most young newb bassplayers in a music centre will be sat down infront of a amp trying to play higher ground as fast as they can, thats bloody annoying, ''look at me, look how fast i can slap!!'' .. but a lot of them mature and go back to using fingerstyle, and when needed ..throw in the odd slap lick..

I actually think the slap in dig sounds good! Ryan martinie is just displaying his technique, and making the song sound different, he is actually a very talented and original bass player if you ever get to see the dvd or deeply listen to the album LD.50 you will appreciate it, and his tone is beautiful!

Requiem 2006-11-03 20:59

Who needs slapping just look at Alex Webster.

PST 88 2006-11-03 22:06

Rather listen to him.

I wasn't making fun of your faith, touchy Mary*, but your choice of words, specifically 'disgust.' If I wanted to make fun of your faith I would do so directly, by calling Christianity unpleasant things and spreading vicious rumors about the sexuality of Jesus Christ. If you're so insecure in your faith that you have to read every comment as an attack upon it, I have very little confidence in your deserving eternal reward.

*This means I'm calling you a sensitive fag, not making reference to the Mother of God.

sixsicsix 2006-11-03 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
Who needs slapping just look at Alex Webster.

agh just stop already
we all agree that slap is often over used in modern music.
but when mastered it is beautiful and has greatly contributed to the bass becoming more than just a backup instrument.

travI56669 2006-11-04 02:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix
example: mudvayne - dig

good song, but the slapping in it is stupid and not needed. it could easily be strummed.
if you want propper slap that wont bore you to sleep, try primus or any funk.

It COULD be strummed but it's not and it probably sounds better that way. And yeah, the dude from Mudvayne is a badass. ;)

Disincarnate 2006-11-04 09:17

i hate slap myself.. i prefer playing finger style... solos n adding bass groves is what i prefer more