MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   achieving the thrash sound (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32549)

Megadeth 2006-09-14 19:33

achieving the thrash sound

im having trouble achieving the sound of Dark angel,overkill,laaz rockit,nuclear assault in particular,not to overpowering but well enough to pick out over the guitar and drums.all help is appreciated

MetalThrashingMad 2006-09-14 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadeth
im having trouble achieving the sound of Dark angel,overkill,laaz rockit,nuclear assault in particular,not to overpowering but well enough to pick out over the guitar

FUUUUCK yeah dude :beer: I'd like to know as well.

Transient 2006-09-14 20:09

this is the bass forum

steves drunk

MetalThrashingMad 2006-09-14 20:24

Dudde youre good :p: p

aFarewelltoKings 2006-09-15 16:16

hey i got dave ellefsons tone on dawn patrol down pat.Is that any help?

Requiem 2006-09-15 21:15

ummm Turn your bass up(yes dumbasses have sarcasm to)

Megadeth 2006-09-15 23:24

well ill describe my band so i can maybe get better explanations, i play in a 3 peice thrash band weve jammed for awhile without a bass player me being rythm guitar...we found no singer so i took the roll and decided id play bass because its a hell of a lot easy to sing.now at practices when i turn the volume up it swamps the guitars thats the only problem i was curious how some of the bands i mentioned bass can be picked out from the other instruments.

Anubis 2006-09-16 19:08

Well, for that Overkill tone, turn your lows to just above the "6" level, keep your high end and just over the middle, and boost your mids. That should help you stick out, not as ballsy though. I don't know how DD manages to be as badass as he is.

Megadeth 2006-09-17 22:38

ill try those settings out and DD Verni is a great bass player

Wolfsherz 2008-02-07 05:14

UP

Yeah old.

Anyone got that tone down? And why isn't there a bigass-thread called "BASS AMP SETTINGS post yours here" or something?

Edit: hey cool I made it into someone's sig.

dethmav 2009-06-08 23:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFarewelltoKings

that would help me.
that tone kicks ass!

blitz906 2009-06-10 07:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFarewelltoKings

Dave Ellefson kicks ass :banger:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsherz
And why isn't there a bigass-thread called "BASS AMP SETTINGS post yours here" or something?

Make one then :p

Besides, isn't it kind of pointless telling other people your tone settings? Certain tone settings can sound different in so many different situations and under different circumstances. Someone with a tube amp will get a much different sound than someone with a solid-state amp. Someone with flatwound or half-wound strings will get a different sound than someone using roundwound strings. Speaker size and cabinet type also make a huge difference. Not to mention room dynamics... an amp will sound MUCH different in a garage than it will in a carpeted/drywalled room. And one of the ultimate factors in tone shaping; picks vs fingers, which yield two completely different sounds. Also, sometimes tone is all in how you play. For example, if you somehow had access to the gear that Jaco Pastorius used to own, and plugged his bass into his amp, and used the exact same tone settings JUST as he had left them when he last touched it 22 years ago, you still probably wouldn't get the same sound that he did, because alot of it is how these people play... how hard or soft they pluck the strings, if they grow their fingernails out a little bit, or cut them right down etc, there are so many different factors.

Requiem 2009-06-11 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906

Besides, isn't it kind of pointless telling other people your tone settings? Certain tone settings can sound different in so many different situations and under different circumstances. Someone with a tube amp will get a much different sound than someone with a solid-state amp. Someone with flatwound or half-wound strings will get a different sound than someone using roundwound strings. Speaker size and cabinet type also make a huge difference. Not to mention room dynamics... an amp will sound MUCH different in a garage than it will in a carpeted/drywalled room. And one of the ultimate factors in tone shaping; picks vs fingers, which yield two completely different sounds. Also, sometimes tone is all in how you play. For example, if you somehow had access to the gear that Jaco Pastorius used to own, and plugged his bass into his amp, and used the exact same tone settings JUST as he had left them when he last touched it 22 years ago, you still probably wouldn't get the same sound that he did, because alot of it is how these people play... how hard or soft they pluck the strings, if they grow their fingernails out a little bit, or cut them right down etc, there are so many different factors.

Right on, you summed up a lot of bassists thoughts in one little block of text.

:beer:

blitz906 2009-06-11 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
Right on, you summed up a lot of bassists thoughts in one little block of text.

:beer:

Hehe, is that sarcasm? :p

blitz906 2009-07-05 22:11

^^Just kidding by the way.

I also forgot to mention active/passive pickups :homer:
The two can have very different sounds.

oddball 2011-05-27 14:08

Wood in cabs and bass ect. what cables you use , how much power you have running near by (T.V. computer ,stereo list goes on forever...............

Wolfsherz 2011-05-29 07:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball
ow much power you have running near by (T.V. computer ,stereo list goes on forever...............

Huh what, that shit counts too?

oddball 2011-06-07 16:09

well yea if were at dans (guitar,key board ,organ ,sax , harmonica) we got alot of stuff plugged in and if the tweiters on my amp are on I get a knarly humm , but when we play over here just drums and bass and a few mics we sound good