MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear & Recording (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Which Marshall JCM Series (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32348)

crayadas 2006-09-06 01:46

Which Marshall JCM Series

ok i dont know exactly much about amps but im looking for that nice swedish melodic sound, and i was told marshall jcm series give u that but theres like a couple different ones. oh yeah and if u have other combo amps in particular that would give me that sound that would be sick thanx

m3talhead666 2006-09-06 04:26

I would say the JCM 900 would give you that sound. But dont get the combos, they have open backs, you should get a 50w head and either a 2x12 marshall cab or if you can afford it, a 4x12 marshall cab

*insert name here* 2006-09-06 05:34

You want a 2000 I think mate.

tmfreak 2006-09-06 09:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by *insert name here*
You want a 2000 I think mate.

If i had to play out of a Marshall I'd probably pick a JCM 2000. But i have a Crate blue voodoo... and it does just nicely for melodic death metal.

lord_diemos 2006-09-06 09:26

If your after the swedish melo-death sound, a 5150 will get you there faster.

tmfreak 2006-09-06 09:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_diemos
If your after the swedish melo-death sound, a 5150 will get you there faster.

To be honest. It almost doesn't even matter, because you can make just about a decient quality sound out of all these amps. I mean i was about to say a 5150 or a mesa. It really doesn't matter. The swedish melodic death sound is less about the amps as much as the riffs, and lyrics sang over it. Also the occasional piano or strings or whatever else. I mean can you compare the amp sounds of say... At the gates and Dark tranquillity? Not in my opinion.

ThornsOfHeaven200 2006-09-06 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
To be honest. It almost doesn't even matter, because you can make just about a decient quality sound out of all these amps. I mean i was about to say a 5150 or a mesa. It really doesn't matter. The swedish melodic death sound is less about the amps as much as the riffs, and lyrics sang over it. Also the occasional piano or strings or whatever else. I mean can you compare the amp sounds of say... At the gates and Dark tranquillity? Not in my opinion.

I agree with him. The amp is not very important, as long as it has the basic features of most amps(distortion,clean,3 band EQ,gain, shit like that). To play in that style you must write the correct sounding riffs and harmonize them accordingly.

crayadas 2006-09-06 11:43

alright cool suggestion u guys thanx. im in the need of one cause my bands got a show on sept. 30th ive always connect my v-amp into my friends crate it sounds ok but its too digital sounding. ill see what i can afford

tmfreak 2006-09-06 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayadas
alright cool suggestion u guys thanx. im in the need of one cause my bands got a show on sept. 30th ive always connect my v-amp into my friends crate it sounds ok but its too digital sounding. ill see what i can afford

Anything loud as shit. Tube would be prefered.

ThornsOfHeaven200 2006-09-06 12:03

Or if you are not a tube guy, go with a higher wattage solid state (200+ watts) so you get more headroom and less clipping that is notorius with solid states since you have more power.

Mordor 2006-09-06 13:24

well i have a jcm dsl 100 head, and i find its awesome for anything metal, it has just the right amount of distortion and the more you turn it up, the more warm and clear it sounds. Try and find a 50 watt version used and i m sure you'll really like it

Soeru 2006-09-06 13:30

And if you go SS, invest in SS amps that don't blow, like anything from Tech 21/Sansamp or Ampeg.

ThornsOfHeaven200 2006-09-06 13:31

or some of the RH or XL series Randall.

arvina 2006-09-06 17:59

any of the amps would do perfect. to better help you find a amp for you we need to know things like how much you want to spend, what kind of versatility do you need, and if you preffer tubes or not.

tmfreak 2006-09-06 18:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvina
any of the amps would do perfect. to better help you find a amp for you we need to know things like how much you want to spend, what kind of versatility do you need, and if you preffer tubes or not.

Theres the ticket.

Musician1978 2006-09-07 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordor
well i have a jcm dsl 100 head, and i find its awesome for anything metal, it has just the right amount of distortion and the more you turn it up, the more warm and clear it sounds. Try and find a 50 watt version used and i m sure you'll really like it

I have one of those as well. Have you ever had to replace the tubes? If so, how did you know when they needed replacing? Mine will play at normal *very loud* volume for about a minute or so, but then the volume diminishes and the tone sounds like total shit. I know it has a problem, but I am wondering if this is typical of tubes shitting the bed.

philkilla 2006-09-07 09:52

That is more than likely your tubes ''shitting the bed''. Put some JJ's in there.

Mordor 2006-09-07 12:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician1978
I have one of those as well. Have you ever had to replace the tubes? If so, how did you know when they needed replacing? Mine will play at normal *very loud* volume for about a minute or so, but then the volume diminishes and the tone sounds like total shit. I know it has a problem, but I am wondering if this is typical of tubes shitting the bed.

i havent had to replace the tubes on mine yet, but that does sound like ure poweramp tubes are crapping out on ya, i'd suggest getting some jj's for the poweramp and sovteks for the pre :beer:

crayadas 2006-09-08 00:41

OK doods!! i was searching and i didnt find some cheap jcm's so i got a peavey 5150 and i loved the tone enough gain for my taste, but what do u guys thing about the 5150s?

*insert name here* 2006-09-08 02:24

If it had a killer clean channel, I would have kept one.