MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear & Recording (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Solid State Amp Wars (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31802)

Sycophant 2006-08-10 23:37

Solid State Amp Wars

Alright, so I've decided that the next amp I'm going to get will be solid state, since in the end, seems like the kind of tone I prefer.
I've read lots of threads on this forum about what people consider to be good choices for a S.S. amp, like the Randall Cyclone, Crate Shockwave [yes I know about the headroom], and Ampeg VH series. A couple of questions.

- Is it true that I can't crank a solid state loud without losing some sound quality? This seems to be a major issue w/ the Shockwave, do all S.S. amps suffer the same problem?

- I heard soundclips of the Cyclone and was VERY pleased. However, they don't seem to showcase it on Randall's website. Is it still in production or do I have to get one secondhand?

- Let's assume $$$ is not a concern. Besides the Randall/Crate/Ampeg contenders, is there any other brands' S.S. amp worth trying out?

Valtiel 2006-08-10 23:54

I would check out some of the Tech21 Trademark heads as well. A friend of mine who owns some seriously brutal amps, (modded 5150, Two-Rock, and Bogner Ecstacy, the only amp that is capable of slaying a Powerball) likes the Trademark, so if a tube guy like that gives it a thumbs up, its probably pretty badass.

*insert name here* 2006-08-11 02:42

You dont lose sound quality as long as you have some headroom. Once you push the poweramp enough, it will shit, but the more s.s. watts allows more volume before that happens.

Valtiel 2006-08-11 03:13

This is true, when SS power amps are driven into distortion, thats when the tone starts to suffer.

Slabbefusk 2006-08-11 04:50

Be sure to get cabs with low ohm or rewire them so that they are.

brainsforbreakfast 2006-08-11 05:22

These days they have amps with a tube pre section and a s.s. power section..
but I want to try out the other way around!

*insert name here* 2006-08-11 08:18

Meh, I want to try a tube power mobile phone.

Valtiel 2006-08-11 09:13

http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31805

Soulinsane 2006-08-11 09:28

I've never been able to turn Cyclone up loud enough to distort. Believe me, I have tried. It gets so loud so fast that it can become painful to be near, but the tone remains pure and doesn't become shrill. I'm afraid of what would happen if it were ever maxed at 10. Anyone remember Hiroshima :)

As far as I now the Cyclone was discontinued. I'm not sure why but I bet it has to do with killing the sales of the Vmax. I played the Cyclone, Vmax, Shockwave, and different Mesa heads next to each other before I decided on the Cyclone. Money wasn't an issue. I just wanted something I really liked and for some reason pure S.S. Randall tone sounded the best to me.

ThornsOfHeaven200 2006-08-11 15:47

I really really like my SS Randall amps, all pure solid state, like Soulinsane mentioned, none of that new tube driven ss hybrid amps that randall is making now. Mine is an older discontinued model so you wont be able to find it unless you look on ebay maybe. I'm also looking into a Tech 21 Trademark 300 head, that is one of the best ss amps out there IMO.

DeathCS 2006-08-11 16:03

the crate shockwave is a good amp.
it can get plently loud. two 4 ohm cabs and i can almost guarantee you it will be loud enough.

Fat Bastard 2006-08-11 16:30

Some amps you might want to consider are the Line 6 Spider models, among some others from Line 6.
Hughes and Kettner makes some good s.s. ams, with TONS of feature built in.
But i'll stick with the pretty glowing tubes.

DeathCS 2006-08-11 20:39

yeah i used to be real into SS, then i got my blue voodoo. I havent touched my shockwave in months.

OpethFan 2006-08-11 21:50

Yeah thers no1 else like him, really unique growl and good singing voice, hard mix

DeathCS 2006-08-12 00:00

wrong thread? :p

Valtiel 2006-08-12 00:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornsOfHeaven200
I really really like my SS Randall amps, all pure solid state, like Soulinsane mentioned, none of that new tube driven ss hybrid amps that randall is making now. Mine is an older discontinued model so you wont be able to find it unless you look on ebay maybe. I'm also looking into a Tech 21 Trademark 300 head, that is one of the best ss amps out there IMO.

Hybrid guitar amps are a giant steaming waste of time. Until they switch it around so the preamp is SS and the Power amps is tubes, its just a marketing gimmick. "But its got TOOOOBZSSS!!11!1!!"

Soulinsane 2006-08-12 01:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
Hybrid guitar amps are a giant steaming waste of time. Until they switch it around so the preamp is SS and the Power amps is tubes, its just a marketing gimmick. "But its got TOOOOBZSSS!!11!1!!"

That has been the best hybrid combo I've played so far as well.

S.S. pre with tube power amp.

John Holland 2006-08-12 08:07

What you could do if you're interested in the S.S. preamp with a tube poweramp is to use rack gear. Think of all of the s.s. preamps you can use : GT-8, POD, Sansamp PSA-1 ( ask xdx about this one, one of the best s.s. preamps ever made ), ADA MP-1 ... and then all of the tube poweramps you can use ... I don't even need to list anything there.

If money were no concern and I had to have a S.S. rig, I would get a Cyclone with a really nice 4x12 cab of choice, probably a Marshall 1960A.

Sycophant 2006-08-12 09:31

Damn, I was wondering why Randall was plugging all this new tube stuff on their website. It sucks to hear that the Cyclone got axed. I already have a 1960 4x12 Marshall cab, luckily enough, which I haven't been able to use since my Flextone head got some kind of glitch and stopped booting up into the amp models, thus making it unplayable.
There seems to be a Cyclone out on Ebay now, it's at $550 with four days left. This time I'm gonna be smarter and try it out first before I buy it [something I should have probably done with my Flextone, or I'd be playing a 5150 today.]

Hetoimasia 2006-08-12 20:45

I might end up selling it, but....I love my VH140c, it's not as muddy as lot of people lead you to believe it is..