MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Feedback (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Spammer suggestions? (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31623)

Party Time 2000 2006-08-03 12:31

Spammer suggestions?
 
There was a spammer on here today that was very annoying. Aug 3, around 1pm. All you would see is his threads on the main forum page. I just answered a lot of dumb replies to other threads just to push them to the top.

In that process, it said to me that the admin would only allow one reply every 30 seconds.

Why not impose a restriction that you can only create, say 3 threads, an hour, or something along those lines. Are you guys already looking into this spamming bull?

brainsforbreakfast 2006-08-03 12:44

how about a script that won't let you make posts with multiple $$$,s multiple words of viagra, store nokia whatever?

I think such an script would be easy, but the main problem lies in how would it make sure your not a normal poster?

maybe it would only aply if you have less than 10 posts.

Blood Red Bass 2006-08-04 22:15

Please excuse my ignorance but if all this spam was automated, how did the machine manage to create its own account? :confused:

Amadeus 2006-08-05 05:03

Now I don't want to restrain myself any longer. You're metalheads, right? Fans and practicioners of a music and sub-culture putting independence and the virute of thinking for yourself among the highest ideals, yesno?
Whenever the mods detect spamming, as far as I have seen they do not delete the thread, they lock it. They do that because they don't want some dickhead to keep it right up in our noses by posting in it, so that it might just die the silent death of being forgotten. Seeing as we are all exponents of doing things without the direction of rules and bans, I don't see why this way of fighting spam should even need the intervention of mods, administrators or scripts. If you don't want a new nokia blaha-jitjat-65-73 or a dildo la alexis, don't post in them and they might even be so far down the list when a mod comes around that they don't have to give a damn, and a happy FBS, PST and powers is a happy metaltabs.com.
I rest my dumb case.

johnmansley 2006-08-05 07:35

We've been saying that for years re spammers and trolls, but the idiots don't listen.

powersofterror 2006-08-05 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Time 2000
.... I just answered a lot of dumb replies to other threads....

This discussion has been brought up in our secret lair a lot, so don't think we aren't aware of it.

Oh, wait, we're talking about spamming......Well, that has also been brought up in our hidden forum. Don't worry, we'll think of something. For future reference, if somehow everyone except the mods get banned for spamming, it wasn't me....

Party Time 2000 2006-08-08 12:00

Yeah, I understand that locking is a good mechanism.

When I came onto metaltabs, all you would see on the main forum page was SPAM SPAM SPAM etc on all the threads.

That person deserved a punch in the face and a kick in the balls (or face again). Does anyone have a virus handy to email those idiots when they provide a reply address? ;)

OpethFan 2006-08-09 04:30

I thought that crap was automated, which is why some sites have that code thing you have to enter before you can register.

Or are there actually people who get paid to post that shit everywhere?

It's gotten (gotten?) worse lately I've noticed though.

The last thing we need is someone posting replies telling them to die in every fucking spam thread, because, well if you havent noticed... It isnt working :eek:

Blood Red Bass 2006-08-09 10:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethFan
I thought that crap was automated, which is why some sites have that code thing you have to enter before you can register.

Or are there actually people who get paid to post that shit everywhere?

It's gotten (gotten?) worse lately I've noticed though.

The last thing we need is someone posting replies telling them to die in every fucking spam thread, because, well if you havent noticed... It isnt working :eek:

What about calling the number they give for all of their shit and THEN tell them to die? :) I'm sure it would at least make them think twice if they kept getting called every minute by a different pissed off metalhead.

Amadeus 2006-08-09 11:21

What I'm getting curious about is wether something has sneaked into the server computer.

MetalThrashingMad 2006-08-09 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Time 2000
Are you guys already looking into this spamming bull?

Hah, every thread in the secret forum just leads to discussion about beer. But yeah, it has come up.

Transient 2006-08-09 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
Hah, every thread in the secret forum just leads to discussion about beer. But yeah, it has come up.

whos fault is that i wonder? ...steve.....



anyways, this thread reminded me of the gooch. i just smiled. GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN


seriously, i would say the best solution is to have nomad put one of those image verfication codes in the sign-up process

johnmansley 2006-08-10 02:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Bass
What about calling the number they give for all of their shit and THEN tell them to die? :) I'm sure it would at least make them think twice if they kept getting called every minute by a different pissed off metalhead.


That wouldn't bother them at all. Plus you'd be giving money to your telephone company, who probably pay the company responsible for the spam commission because they have been responsible for increased line usage.

BassBehemoth 2006-08-13 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
seriously, i would say the best solution is to have nomad put one of those image verfication codes in the sign-up process



Yes, this is much needed...more bombardment of spam today. NOMAD SAVE US ALL!

L,B'XXX 2006-08-13 20:52

Yeah, they're annoying, but instead of giving them publicity we deleted them at tc. They don't seem to happen too often though.

Dahmers Fridge 2006-08-14 15:45

These threads aren't hard too spot because they rather cunningly use subterfuge and title their post as 'WANT A NEW NOKIA 666......etc'
Don't read them or reply to them it really is that simple :rolleyes:

rapeandruin 2006-08-16 00:47

I don't know if new user registration has this...but if not why not implement one of those type in letter things that is an image. You know what I mean? that say like FK@582 in a box that is a bit warped...that might help eliminate some of the more simple spam bots...

I think tweaking with titles of threads would be smart. Like said above...if it fit a certain criteria such as Nokia, phone, blah blah blah...warn the person if they post titles with those certain key words within like 10 minutes of each other (that is 2 threads i'm talking about) and if they don't stop...then permanite ip ban...oh ummmm for the warning it could be a javascript pop up box saying that they've been warned after posting twice and if they post again they will be banned....yeah

BassBehemoth 2006-08-16 11:28

I agree, this shit is only getting worse.

Transient 2006-08-16 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapeandruin
I don't know if new user registration has this...but if not why not implement one of those type in letter things that is an image. You know what I mean? that say like FK@582 in a box that is a bit warped...that might help eliminate some of the more simple spam bots...

....this is what im saying

Requiem 2006-08-18 14:39

i think they get paid for that crap like 2dollars a forum they post it in or someting


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.