MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vocal Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Matt Shadows (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30979)

scard 2006-07-04 01:46

Matt Shadows

Hey guys, I'm new here.
Sorry for a newbie starting a thread, but I've got a question for you guys.

How do you sing like Matt Shadows? Not scream, but sing like him.

He seems to have three ways to sing: clear, whiny, and scratchy.
I just can't get that scratchy sound like he does. If you want examples, he sings clearly in the beginning of "Seize the Day", but after the guitar solo, he starts singing more scratchy-like.

Sorry if I sound like a complete beginner, I just really want to know how to do this.

metal_monkey 2006-07-04 04:16

what band?

Panda 2006-07-04 04:49

matt "shadows" sanders is the singer of avenged sevenfold :sickface:

metal_monkey 2006-07-04 09:13

oooo

why the fuck would you want to sing like him, unless your a faggy emo

Valtiel 2006-07-04 10:06

Dont waste your time trying to sound like someone else, especially that guy. If you are going to put time and energy into becoming a vocalist then you should focus and creating your own style with your own voice. Never just resolve to copy someone else, its the worst thing you can do with your time.

scard 2006-07-04 17:24

I understand that you do not like him, but how do you do it? It's not only Matt that does it, other singers do it too. Matt Shadows just seems to do it a lot.

metal_monkey 2006-07-04 19:24

nobody is going to help you sing like that here, nobody here is a faggy emo

scard 2006-07-06 03:53

where can I find some faggy emos? I'd really like to learn the style.

metal_monkey 2006-07-06 06:35

if you walk into a mall, youll find faggy emos

Valtiel 2006-07-06 11:28

:rofl: :rofl:

Well scard, if you still insist on trying to sing like him then you may as well just give up now, that trend will be done in a few years. A good, strong, well trained clean singing voice is always a good tool to have for most any style of music, but if you just want to do bitch-screams then dont bother wasting your time.

Unanything 2006-07-06 13:50

He fucking sucks anyway.
Weak voice. Bat Country is good proof of this. With the failed scream at the start and the aaeeeaaeeeaaaeeaaeeee thing. Shows he cannot express anything with his voice.

Deliverance IV 2006-07-09 16:42

Whether you want him to achieve the voice or not, he wants to. So why not at least adhere to the question? It's just a typical grungy voice. You sing the same way you would normally do, but really open your throat and put some pressure behind it.

jazzmetalguitar 2006-07-09 16:57

have a friend kick you in the balls...

and then you can sing fag emo like...

oh btw...since A7X was mentioned....DEP pwns them...and greg could kick m shadows ass....

MorbidGuitar 2006-07-09 19:06

Well, first of all i dont like "emo's" or Avenged either, but he's asking a question here. So if you dont have anything useful to say, shut the fuck up.... every last one of you.

I suggest not trying to "sing like" someone. Its not gonna happen. Either you HAVE a voice similar to him, or you dont. Simple as that. If you really want some tips, i could suggest listening to them and singing along at a decent volume. This way you can learn his vocal range and see if there are any spots you cannot reach, such as the high or low-end notes. Remember that the volume your practicing with is going to make a big differece, so choose carefully. Certain notes are accessable only at higher(or lower) vocal volumes.

But yea, Its really hard to help with something like this since nobody here can actually hear you sing and know what you need help with in particular.

jazzmetalguitar 2006-07-13 09:04

unless of course he has recording capabilities...

Valtiel 2006-07-13 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidGuitar
I suggest not trying to "sing like" someone. Its not gonna happen.

Umm yea, thats exactly what I said.

MorbidGuitar 2006-07-14 07:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
Umm yea, thats exactly what I said.

Good for you! Would you like a hero cookie?

Valtiel 2006-07-14 23:17

Hero cookie, sweet! Ill start stamping out the dough. :smash:

jazzmetalguitar 2006-07-15 06:37

haha...hero cookie....i soo sigged that shit

metabolic13 2006-11-29 16:29

lmao wow

for anyone who just tried to bash M. Shadows for his singing, like for instance the person who talked about his "failed attempt" at the scream at the start of Bat Country, maybe you should take into consideration the reason as to why it sounded like a "failed attempt" was because after the second album "Waking The Fallen" he had done so much hardcore screaming, way more hardocre than the "failed scream" at the start of bat country, that he had to get VOCAL SURGERY and I think it's safe to say that if any one of you had just recieved vocal surgery, you'd shy away from screaming too,

lmao don't talk about shit you don't know anything about champ. :vampire: