MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear & Recording (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Passive 7 string pickup (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30840)

Innards-Decay 2006-06-26 04:16

Passive 7 string pickup
 
I need a passive 7 string pickup because I don't want to route for EMGS. I'm thinking an EVO 7 would probably be pretty awesome, but what about the X2N 7?

Valtiel 2006-06-26 05:04

Well the XN-7 has a rediculous amount of output, 510mv I think might be too much. I myself am more partial to Seymour Duncans 7 string pickups, like the JB-7. Check those out if you get a chance.

*insert name here* 2006-06-26 05:42

Pickup thread,mate.

Mapex7string 2006-06-26 19:31

Go with the evo 7, I have it, and it slays, best passive 7 imo.

philkilla 2006-06-27 13:22

X2N 7. My friend got one put in his guitar....and it fucking rips.

Unanything 2006-06-27 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
Well the XN-7 has a rediculous amount of output, 510mv I think might be too much. I myself am more partial to Seymour Duncans 7 string pickups, like the JB-7. Check those out if you get a chance.


:beer:

My Schecter has them in. Immense output, godly tone. Everyone actually starts commenting on how good my tone is when I play, rather than what I'm playing.

problematic 2006-06-28 05:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by *insert name here*
Pickup thread,mate.

Haha no one cares.
Just get rid of that fucking thread, it's fucking shit.
There are too many opinions and too many questions on pickups so its just not logistical to merge it all into one thread, with 20 posts per page, that hasn't been used in the past month or so.


Innards-Decay: What wood is your guitar? I hear X2N's are fucking beastly in Basswood guitars and SD Invaders are fucking brutal in Alder body guitars. You'll get crunch out of any bridge pup with a mahogany guitar, though...

TangledMortalCoil 2006-06-28 09:33

^ agreed (about the pickup thread)

Mordor 2006-06-28 18:40

well i m getting a x2n for my peavey vandy because there fucking awesome, so i cant see why the 7 string versions wouldnt be good

philkilla 2006-06-28 18:43

good pick

ThornsOfHeaven200 2006-06-28 19:10

Ive got an X2N in my maple bodied guitar, and it sounds great. I was kind of worried that it would sound too trebly, but as soon as i tried it out it just blew me away. Also, the tech there told me that with high output pickups, the tonal woods dont matter too much so it doesnt make much of a difference with the types of wood. It was louder, more ballsy and just overall better sounding. So, if the x2n-7 is anything like the x2n(which it should be) it should be a good choice no matter what wood your axe is made of.

h4x5k8 2006-06-30 00:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornsOfHeaven200
Ive got an X2N in my maple bodied guitar, and it sounds great. I was kind of worried that it would sound too trebly, but as soon as i tried it out it just blew me away. Also, the tech there told me that with high output pickups, the tonal woods dont matter too much so it doesnt make much of a difference with the types of wood. It was louder, more ballsy and just overall better sounding. So, if the x2n-7 is anything like the x2n(which it should be) it should be a good choice no matter what wood your axe is made of.

That answered my question, thanks. I have this Ibanez S-Series 7 string, the S7420 I think. I would think since thats so thin it would have not as much tonal wood goodness.

Soeru 2006-06-30 07:02

Actually, the description for the X2N-7 sais "warmth" somewhere(go read the description at any online site), it may sound different from the regular X2N. Dimarzio to my knowledge doesn't make their 7 string models exactly the same to their 6 string counterparts.

Thorns your guitar may be soft maple, different from hard maple, soft maple has a more low mid response than hard maple. But it's not to say that in hard maple it would be unbearably thin sounding, but you can forget about playing cleans with a maple guitar without warmer pickups. Your tone and volume knob will help you clean up the sound a lot and cut down excess high end, but some people(like me) prefer to hit the front end of the amp with more treble and mids and add the bass frequencies afterwards with the EQ.

The Tonezone -at least the 6 string version- is really good, but it's warm so beware the mud if you have a mahogany or similar wood guitar. It's "just hot enough" to be a high output pickup. But don't be turned off, it can be as brutal as you want it to be or you can roll off the volume knob a bit for some rock and clean stuff.

Also great is the Evo7 or Blaze(in my Ibanez Universe), but those are more for shred type stuff. The tonezone is extremely more versatile. The JB 7 string model is also said to be really good. For 7 strings I don't think you need extremely hot pickups or EMG's, I mean they automatically sound brutal with that low B, you don't need 510mv of output methinks.

Valtiel 2006-06-30 07:42

Agreed, especially about the Tone Zone, that pickup has a lot of really warm mids. I think the JB-7 is probably the best in a mahagony body because its on the slighty brighter side.

ThornsOfHeaven200 2006-06-30 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
Actually, the description for the X2N-7 sais "warmth" somewhere(go read the description at any online site), it may sound different from the regular X2N. Dimarzio to my knowledge doesn't make their 7 string models exactly the same to their 6 string counterparts.

Thorns your guitar may be soft maple, different from hard maple, soft maple has a more low mid response than hard maple. But it's not to say that in hard maple it would be unbearably thin sounding, but you can forget about playing cleans with a maple guitar without warmer pickups. Your tone and volume knob will help you clean up the sound a lot and cut down excess high end, but some people(like me) prefer to hit the front end of the amp with more treble and mids and add the bass frequencies afterwards with the EQ.

I just checked out the Dimarzio site and you're right about that, but the sound change shouldnt be extremely radical from the 6 string version I think. That D-Sonic pickup sounds like an interesting idea though.
Well, I dont know what kind of maple my axe is made of but the X2N sounds good in it. The cleans arent horrible, they're just meh, which is why I got a Pro Track in the middle and neck positions. They are mellower/rounded sounding and so much better for cleans, sweeping and getting that nice solo sound. I think I read on the Dimarzio site or somewhere that the Pro Track was meant to sound like a PAF but be in a single coiled sized humbucker.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.