MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Alder vs. Mahogany (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29863)

FlyingVofDeath 2006-05-07 22:03

Alder vs. Mahogany

i was just wondering what difference in sound is there between alder and mahogany? Also is there a quality difference too?

Doktorskell 2006-05-07 22:06

Mahogany is teh heavy. But well known for having uber good sustain and i think a nice fat bass response.

Correct me if i'm worng somebody

DeathCS 2006-05-07 22:10

mahogany is generally more expensive and used in higher quality guitars.
it comes down to personal preference though.
Alder is lighter weight and more balanced tonally. its a wood that you can play blues with one day and then play death metal the next.
mahogany is thicker sounding, heavier in weight and sound. some peope find it too muddy or too bassy. but a lot of people love it.

FlyingVofDeath 2006-05-07 22:12

Oh yeah... that would probably explain why they use alder in Strats for the brighter sound and mahogany in V's and SG's for the heaviness

YJM04 2006-05-07 23:16

i like alder better. mahogany can sustain longer. but i think alder has a more unique sound and really makes your pickups sing. well depending on what pickups you use. mahogany is great for that extra kick too distortion wise. they both have their own unique advantages.

mctriple 2006-05-07 23:24

hmm alder is not really a bright wood.. i would not say that at all. it gives a nice rich sound with a nice low-end. if alder was very bright, there's no way they'd go pairing it with a maple fretboard and single coils.

i'm not sure how you can say mahogany is used in generally higher quality guitars? that strikes me as a very strange statement. even those $5,000 fender strats (new, not some old expensive vintage one) use alder for the bodies.

mahogany is certainly more common, but alder can sound very nice.

DeathCS 2006-05-07 23:58

well i was thinking gibsons when i said that. its not really an accurate statement now that i think about it, but you do see more mahogany bodied guitars as the price goes up.

Soeru 2006-05-08 01:29

There's ways to get around it you know. Use bright pickups in mahogany axes, and so called muddy bassy pickups in thin bright sounding guitars. That's the way it's meant to be.

Basswood also has a load of bass response but it's ridiculously soft and lightweight, plus I hear it doesn't sustain as long, but a lotta people like it too.

philkilla 2006-05-08 03:48

My ran is mahogany. It sounds great. I love it.

the_bleeding 2006-05-08 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctriple
i'm not sure how you can say mahogany is used in generally higher quality guitars? that strikes me as a very strange statement. even those $5,000 fender strats (new, not some old expensive vintage one) use alder for the bodies.

fenders... you pay for the name.

Mahogany is warmer and heavier... the low end is a bit more favoured. Alder is pretty bassy too, but it also has more highs so that its not as warm... if you represented them with an eq... mahogany would have increased bass response and alder would be closer to a flat line.

problematic 2006-05-08 07:58

I concur with all previous statements. There isn't much to add.

green dog 2006-05-08 12:27

my schecter c1 hellraiser is Mahogany and it is lighter than my jackson dx dinky and my jackson is alder and looks smaller so i would not say mahogany is heavy

the_bleeding 2006-05-08 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by green dog
my schecter c1 hellraiser is Mahogany and it is lighter than my jackson dx dinky and my jackson is alder and looks smaller so i would not say mahogany is heavy

Mahogany is heavier than alder. PERIOD. There is no argument.

The dx has a trem. theres all your weight right there.

PUngency 2006-05-08 22:24

What about agathis?

YJM04 2006-05-08 22:29

:idea: agathis= firewood

PUngency 2006-05-08 22:33

:idea: haha

Soeru 2006-05-08 23:11

NATO wood is unfortunately not something the North Atlantic Treaty Organization came up with, it's commercial grade mahogany. Ie: more expensive firewood used in many newer NJ series BC rich's.

YJM04 2006-05-09 06:46

dont forget ashwood. thats the wood is shitty

the_bleeding 2006-05-09 07:17

what about Koa... i know the pricetag on that is huge... but why is it so expensive? whats special?

brainsforbreakfast 2006-05-09 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
what about Koa... i know the pricetag on that is huge... but why is it so expensive? whats special?

Because it's rare. I think it's some kind of protected wood now.