MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear & Recording (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Getting & Installing New Pickups (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29789)

4d5e6f 2006-05-03 22:57

Getting & Installing New Pickups

Pretty soon I'm going to be buying a new guitar (ESP Viper 100FM). I've read in some people's reviews that the humbuckers with it are weak, and that an upgrade will make the guitar sound even greater. I've read a lot of things reccomending an EMG 81 and an EMG 85. Well if I bought those, would I be able to take apart my guitar (never took apart one myself) and install them myself? Do I just need somebody with electrical training?

Soeru 2006-05-03 23:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f
Pretty soon I'm going to be buying a new guitar (ESP Viper 100FM). I've read in some people's reviews that the humbuckers with it are weak, and that an upgrade will make the guitar sound even greater. I've read a lot of things reccomending an EMG 81 and an EMG 85. Well if I bought those, would I be able to take apart my guitar (never took apart one myself) and install them myself? Do I just need somebody with electrical training?

You don't need jack shit except a soldering iron and patience. Well, and the wiring diagrams too. I have an already-wired EMG 81-85 set that I'm selling. I'll sell it to you for 160$, in perfect working condition and cosmetics.

*insert name here* 2006-05-04 00:45

Yeah,they are as idiot proof as pickup installation gets.

metal_monkey 2006-05-04 00:50

you could always send the guitar and pickups to me :p

*insert name here* 2006-05-04 01:06

or not.

mctriple 2006-05-04 13:28

have you ever used a soldering iron? if you've ever used one, then putting in new pickups is a breeze. if not, it's still pretty easy. soldering isn't complicated, it can just take patience. pickups come with wiring diagrams and all that to tell you exactly what to do.

problematic 2006-05-05 06:57

Yeah I soldered and EMG 81 / 85 set to my Warlock. It wasn't too bad... and I have had very limited soldering experience. I had problems because with the Warlock the volume and tone knobs are quite far apart, so I had to solder extra wire to the wire between the pots. The wire between the pots is not insulated and I soldered insulated wire to it. This is not good. But don't worry, Your ESP probably doesnt have that problem.

Anyway, buy the set, open the packets and have a look at the wiring diagrams. If it looks like you could handle it, then go for it. I admit first time I looked at the diagrams I didnt know what to think, as it was all over the place, but just follow each wire and it all makes sense.

Think of it this way: If you dont have a soldering iron you have to buy one (for about $25) and also buy solder (about $5). Or you could go to a guitar tech and have them installed for, say... ($45 - 60). The saving is not necessarily money, it takes a bit of time and if you fuck up itll take you more time. But soldering is not too hard.

So whatever, it's your decision, and it aint too hard... Or buy Soeru's pre-wired kit ($160 is a good price) and just install it, its easy.

Have fun.

OpethFan 2006-05-05 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
Think of it this way: If you dont have a soldering iron you have to buy one (for about $25) and also buy solder (about $5). Or you could go to a guitar tech and have them installed for, say... ($45 - 60). The saving is not necessarily money, it takes a bit of time and if you fuck up itll take you more time. But soldering is not too hard.

Yea, I think getting the experience is pretty important when it comes to guitars. Get a soldering iron because you never know when you may get a dodgey connection in the jack or wherever. There will be a lot of walkthrough's how to do it on the internet somewhere. I wouldnt take my guitar to a tech unless it was something I totally couldnt learn to do.
I mean it saves you money in the long run learning how to do it, plus its always good knowing how to do things like that.

m3talhead666 2006-05-05 09:08

Also, practise soldering some wires together at first so you get used to it.

mctriple 2006-05-05 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethFan
Yea, I think getting the experience is pretty important when it comes to guitars. Get a soldering iron because you never know when you may get a dodgey connection in the jack or wherever.

absolutely. soldering gun: $25, solder: $5, guitar shop putting it in: $40, experience of working on your own guitar and knowing how everything works: priceless.

powersofterror 2006-05-05 16:29

http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1507