MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bands (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Metallica: St. Anger Album Discussion (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2968)

slayme_returns 2002-08-26 16:04

Metallica - St. Anger Discussion

Ok mods before you automatically delete, at least read what i'm gonna say.

A few things up front before I launch into anything. It's really childish but if I don't say any of this, this thread will go straight into the fucking toilet:

1. This isn't a Met bashing thread so those that are prone to do so don't bother posting ruining the thread for the members.

2. None of the "metallica isn't metal", "metallica is gay", "metallica sold out", "metallica are greedy". Thats not what the thread is about.

3. This thread is solely about Metallica's forthcoming album, speculation on said album, reactions from fans/non fans, how this album will affect the metal world etc.

Alright, as long as you're still with me remain open minded. As of recently I've sort of come to terms with the Metallica deal(and this is the only time I'll mention any of this). I listen to 'em on a regular basis once again and I've been giving the Loads a spin or two every now and then sort of analyzing them and liking some of it.

I've been following the progress of the new album since Metallica.com put up the New Album section on their site called Jump in the Studio. It's updated everyday, with messages from the band and webmaster, videos(often up to 15 minutes in length)of them in the studio explaining whats goin on and even showing new material to the fans. The Met boys also read the bulletin board that came along with the New Album section in the website and I gotta say, its pretty damn cool. They'll talk in the web videos about shit they saw on the message board, and address questions asked, rumors started and any other thing they decide to talk about.

I feel like a kid again waiting for this album to come out, and after hearing bits of new material through the video it sounds like music I'd listen to and that after all is what's important right? Right.

Now, I'm not on here to shove Metallica up your fuckin ass or anything, I just kinda wanted to get that off my chest.

Onto the new album:

There's a couple things I was thinkin about last night that were interesting.

Metallica hasn't put studio album out since 1997, upping the hype factor 1,000,000%:

What's gonna be interesting is how people embrace it, because like it or not there are a bunch of people that no matter how much they badmouth this band will be there to pick up a copy. See, from here you can go on and on about Metallica sold out this and they're not metal which is what usually happens but I find this fact mentioned above completely fascinating. I've never seen a band with that much charisma, like it or not.

We are in the age of albums leaking months ahead online:

I think the question on everyone's mind is, "How are they going to react when it leaks?" Will it happen? I'd say there's a 99% chance it does but...Metallica seems bulletproof at times and very secure and secretive. Then again, EVERYTHING LEAKS. Typical response to the "how are they goin to react" question- "They'll sue everyone." Here's the deal, every band is fucking pissed off when their album leaks, it spoils the release. it's a bummer for the band that everyone had a copy before they wanted 'em to. Fuck, i'm guilty of this quite often:)

Thats pretty much all I wanted to throw out there for now. I'm hoping this thread allows people to throw their opinions in about the new record and its impact on everything.

sorry about the constrictive environment but i don't think the mods will let it be a free for all.

Gigantic Penis 2002-08-26 16:09

even though im not really that much of a met fan at all (i havent listened to any of the 3 met CDs i own for years). ill probably buy it the day it is released...........

memnoch 2002-08-26 16:30

I'm gonna wait until i hear most, or maybe all of the new cd before i decide to buy it or not. I've been greatly disappointed with they're last 10 years of music (thank god i didn't buy any albums)....so i'm not ready to trust them and buy the thing the day it comes out.....i'm gonna wait till a poor sap i know buys it, then i'll give it a try. If it sounds good, i'll get it.......but i'm not getting my hopes up.

Darkenelf 2002-08-26 16:54

re

what's the title called?

OpethRules 2002-08-26 19:19

I'm looking foward to it, I think it's gonna be good.

walpurgis 2002-08-26 20:24

I'll at least check some songs out on it. Does anyone know if they're staying the way they've been on Load and Reload?

atifman 2002-08-26 20:33

well Lars said that they weren't. check out the last metallica discussion we had (about the new ja rule song), i quoted something he said about that.

slayme_returns 2002-08-26 20:52

he's been sayin its alot less bluesy like the Load albums. From the small pieces I've heard, he's right.

of course, practically everything is blues based anyway in one way or another.

memnoch 2002-08-27 05:05

I suppose we'll just have to wait for the final product and see for ourselves.

Trendkill_420 2002-08-27 18:45

i'd like to hear it.
James and Kirk are very talented guitarists and it seems james has been experimenting with singing moreso than the pre-black album days.

I'm optimistic.

warnerve92 2002-08-28 00:20

Quote:
Originally posted by slayme_returns
he's been sayin its alot less bluesy like the Load albums. From the small pieces I've heard, he's right.

Where did you hear these small pieces?

slayme_returns 2002-08-28 03:54

watch the studio vids they have up over metallica.com

slayme_returns 2002-08-29 20:54

this is interesting

Lars posted this comment on the site today

LARS (08/29/2002 5:26:00 PM)
Hey it's Lars checking in on the way out. We had a nice ugly day in the studio. Lot's of nastiness and misery. I'm psyched! BTW, I think Kirk's Meshuggah comparison is a little limiting. I hear shades of Hatebreed and Entombed in there also. It is really starting to come together, man. The couple 2-3 things we've been working on this week, we've taken a few steps further than the earlier stuff, and it feels a bit good. We are gonna chill for a long weekend, so we will catch up on the sick shit and despair on Tuesday again. Y'all be good, c-ya in a bit, THE ELF(aka Lars)

mrweijia 2002-08-29 21:30

wow, maybe they've hit the right path. i just hope its better than their last album. that;d be good.

Head_split_Open 2002-09-01 21:53

cant fucking wait for the album to come out, i dont care what people think about them (or think about me for liking them), but Metallica (in my opinion) are fucking awesome. I loved every single album (even load and reload).... and i really dont understand why people say they sold out when the made those albums... i mean, i can see how they probably got bored playing the same style of music for so long, id get bored too... just experimentation i'd say it is...but yeah. cant wait for the new album to come out...

danzig 2002-11-10 23:15

NEW ALBUM

I WILL BUY IT, PROBABLY, I MEAN, EVEN LOAD AND RE-LOAD HAD ONE OR TWO GOOD SONGS, METALLICA, WHETHER YOU LIKE THEM OR NOT, IF YOU SEE THEM LIVE, THEY ROCK, THEY ARE ON BAND THAT HAS AN UNBELEIVABLE STAGE PRESENCE. THEY WERE MY FAVORITE BAND, THEN I HEARD SLAYER!!!
****************************************************************************************** ****************************************************************************************** ****************************************************************************************** ****************************************************************************************** ******************************:vampire:

danzig 2002-11-10 23:19

METALLICA

ONE MORE THING: IT'S HARD TO SAY THEY SOLD OUT, OR DIDN'T AN ARTIST HAS THE RIGHT TO CHANGE MUSIC, PERSONALLY I THINK THATS WHAT A SIDE PROJECT IS FOR BUT ANYWAY LOOK AT PANTERA, THEY CHANGED FROM THIER POWER METAL IN THE 80'S TO SORT OF A STANDARD METAL SOUND IN THE 90'S.
(OLD METALLICA IS STILL BETTER THOUGH) BUT HEY, GARAGE INC. ROCKED THOUGH IT WAS COVERS.
METAL RULES!!!

mrweijia 2002-11-10 23:33

Re: METALLICA

Quote:
Originally posted by danzig
ONE MORE THING: IT'S HARD TO SAY THEY SOLD OUT, OR DIDN'T AN ARTIST HAS THE RIGHT TO CHANGE MUSIC, PERSONALLY I THINK THATS WHAT A SIDE PROJECT IS FOR BUT ANYWAY LOOK AT PANTERA, THEY CHANGED FROM THIER POWER METAL IN THE 80'S TO SORT OF A STANDARD METAL SOUND IN THE 90'S.
(OLD METALLICA IS STILL BETTER THOUGH) BUT HEY, GARAGE INC. ROCKED THOUGH IT WAS COVERS.
METAL RULES!!!

sabbra caddabra was horrible. and i wouldnt really call pantera "standard" metal, since what the major record companies call "metal" isnt as heavy

warnerve92 2003-01-17 04:27

So whats the latest on this new album??

slayme_returns 2003-01-17 09:46

They're almost done recording/writing and it's supposed to surface around springtime, April or May.

They were just kickin back goin with the flow, but now with the upcoming shows they're committed to they have to set a deadline for themselves.