MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music Theory (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Melodic Death Metal theory. (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29672)

Martyredwithinflames 2006-04-27 13:52

Melodic Death Metal theory.

Alright, im in a bit of a dilemma. Maybe you guys could help me out.

My friends and I recently formed a band, we've jammed and wrote some tunes. They turned out good. The only problem they're more "metalcore" sounding (Trivium, As I Lay Dying, Unearth). Now as the composer of the band I wanted to pull the band into the direction of Melodic Death Metal bands like In Flames, Enter My Silence, Arch Enemy etc.. so is they're any type of theory I should learn to create riffs and leads?

If anyone could help me that would be awesome.

ThornsOfHeaven200 2006-04-27 15:00

An important part of playing melodically is knowing how to harmonize notes. So that should be a priority.

TruthDevoid 2006-04-27 15:45

It's called "creativity". So many people seem to forget about that these days...

Cheese Co 2006-04-27 16:53

Make everyone listen to it alot... and then you should probably sound like it if you guys like it, oh yeah, an even easier way to solve this problem is to not play Melodic Death Metal, maybe like a brutal Metalcore band or just a Death Metal band, but bassically what you are gonna wanna do is probably listen to those bands on both sides of the spectrum, and find a place in between.

Mapex7string 2006-04-27 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyredwithinflames
Alright, im in a bit of a dilemma. Maybe you guys could help me out.

My friends and I recently formed a band, we've jammed and wrote some tunes. They turned out good. The only problem they're more "metalcore" sounding (Trivium, As I Lay Dying, Unearth). Now as the composer of the band I wanted to pull the band into the direction of Melodic Death Metal bands like In Flames, Enter My Silence, Arch Enemy etc.. so is they're any type of theory I should learn to create riffs and leads?

If anyone could help me that would be awesome.

Harmonization definataly, also try the harmonic minor scale

Necro_Butcher 2006-04-27 19:57

harmonic minor? maybe

i think more straight major for melodic metal, also natural minor

also, use your ear :)

Infinity 2006-04-27 23:05

Just harmonise everything possible.

TruthDevoid 2006-04-27 23:51

Here's an idea: Play what comes natural to you, instead of forcing a style. That's the problem with a lot of bands these days

travI56669 2006-04-28 00:15

Yeah we get it, this thread pisses you off....

TruthDevoid 2006-04-28 00:29

I'm just in a pissed off mood, and there's way too many threads like it. Everyone seems to think there's some kind of secret that if you play a certain scale, you'll master that genre.

travI56669 2006-04-28 01:12

I agree with that last sentence honestly... The songs I write don't have any fucking scale to them, just the occasional solo does... ;)

davie_gravy 2006-04-28 09:20

Listen to your favorite melodic death metal bands and try to incorporate the ideas they deploy in your own fashion.

johnmansley 2006-04-28 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthDevoid
I'm just in a pissed off mood, and there's way too many threads like it. Everyone seems to think there's some kind of secret that if you play a certain scale, you'll master that genre.

Agreed. We don't really need a theory thread for each and every genre of metal.