MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bands (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   GROWL!!! grrrrrr.............SCREAM! (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2960)

Gigantic Penis 2002-08-25 18:31

GROWL!!! grrrrrr.............SCREAM!

well, ive been kinda dissappointed with some new cd's i bought. i get them only to find out the vocalist is a growler...............
i dont mind growling for some bands, but sometimes bands shouldnt use it or overuse it.

i like cannibal corpse (with george fisher), but with the new album, Gore Obsessed, i think georgy boy tries to make his voice too much like Chris Barnes. he used to have his own style of growl, now its too Barnes-like.

i think chris barnes is the worst growler ever.............

i was kinda dissappointed with the new arch enemy, i thought with a new female vocalist, they would change to a clean voice, the music is great, but a growl doesn't fit...........

i REALLY wish the guy from my dying bride would never growl, it ruins the depressing mood.

i still listen to CC, MDB and Arch Enemy, its still good though, but for death metal i prefer the vocals of bands like Obituary and in flames.

here is a question for those who like death metal:

Do you like growling like (George Fisher), or the scream/gutteral sound (like john tardy and anders friden)?

and lastly, i would like to say that i think Obituary and John Tardy really pioneered the way for the screaming vocals that bands like in flames and such use today.....

memnoch 2002-08-25 18:40

I'm probably one of the few here who mainly listen to Death Metal without the need for anything else. I do listen to other stuff.....but if you left me on an island alone with death metal, i wouldn't complain one bit.

And i like growling. It suits the music i listen to, so it's good. I find it weird how some bands (kind of like Opeth a bit) have "light" riffs but still use growling vocals over them. I'm used to really heavy, deep riffs that accompany the growls...so it goes well together.

Anyways, i'm listening to Beheaded right now, very growly...and i love it!:cool:

slayme_returns 2002-08-25 18:54

Re: GROWL!!! grrrrrr.............SCREAM!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gigantic Penis
i think chris barnes is the worst growler ever.............

you sir, should be shot.

ok, i'm editing this post now that my initial reaction is done which you see above. I think it speaks for itself. Anyway, I don't see many similarities between anders and john. i've never heard another vocalist like john tardy, he seems completely original.

as far as corpsegrinder goes, he sounds nothing at all like barnes, barnes is barnes and no one can sound like him. he is going for a lower sound but still has the trademark fisher throat.

powersofterror 2002-08-25 18:58

I agree with everything memnoch has said:D
but i like the music with that same killer heavy riffing
along with a singer (helloween) more than a growler(beheaded)
i like that type of music very much, uhhhh, can you name me some bands
like that i can't think of many

memnoch 2002-08-25 19:01

Immolation
Cryptopsy
Gorguts
Cephalic Carnage
Disgorge
Severe Torture

Gigantic Penis 2002-08-25 19:30

Re: Re: GROWL!!! grrrrrr.............SCREAM!

Quote:
Originally posted by slayme_returns

you sir, should be shot.

ok, i'm editing this post now that my initial reaction is done which you see above. I think it speaks for itself. Anyway, I don't see many similarities between anders and john. i've never heard another vocalist like john tardy, he seems completely original.

what i meant was john POINEERED the way. sure he is original, but he kinda paved the way...............

and i still think barnes blows.....he sounds like he is clearing his throught.....it just sounds stupid............

slayme_returns 2002-08-25 19:32

i know what you meant, i was commenting on your comparison between anders and john.

Gigantic Penis 2002-08-26 15:49

i just dont get why people think barnes is good....he sucks so bad. it ruins the old CC music. everytime he sings it sounds like:

"uhhhhhhhhh ohhhhhhhhhh oh oh uhhhhhhhh ehhhhhhhhhhh ohhhhhhhhhhhh"

terrible

a good growler is mikael akefelt (mispelled?), from opeth. he tries to improve on his growl, not just make it deeper

deeper doesnt equel better

slayme_returns 2002-08-26 16:09

i don't want to argue about this subject much, i've done it way too many times and not just here.

without barnes, there is no old Cannibal. whether you like it or not barnes is part of their history.

to each his own though:)

memnoch 2002-08-26 16:33

I'm not much of a Barnes fan either....i'm not here to argue why, but i think it's a little harder to hear what he's actually saying compared to Corpsegrinder or other notable death metal singers.

My 2 favorite death metal singers are probably Ross Dolan (Immolation.....no, not cause it's my fav band, but you can actually make out most of what he says) and the guy from Gorguts (forget his name....but he has a very unique sound, like no other......very cool. Sounds like i do when i have a cold!:) )

Gigantic Penis 2002-08-26 20:56

what about john tardy? he is the best.......Obituary also kicked all other pure death metal bands in record sales........bands like CC and deicide are nothing compared to them.........

slayme_returns 2002-08-26 21:29

record sales don't really matter much, Obituary just fuckin rules.

Gigantic Penis 2002-08-26 23:27

Quote:
record sales don't really matter much,

i think they do......that fact that obituary has been disbanded for a really long time and yet they still have higher sales than CC really says something........

memnoch 2002-08-27 05:06

Maybe they had better publicity than most bands nowadays.

Sales don't mean anything. Like i said before.....if sales were everything, Britney Spears would completely destroy all the big metal bands put together. Make sense?? Well.....no.

Gigantic Penis 2002-08-27 15:32

Quote:
Originally posted by memnoch
Maybe they had better publicity than most bands nowadays.

Sales don't mean anything. Like i said before.....if sales were everything, Britney Spears would completely destroy all the big metal bands put together. Make sense?? Well.....no.

yes, but you have to seperate pop music and death metal.......its not like people turned on their local pop radio station and would occassionally hear "lockdown" or "set in stone". people who like death metal liked them the best.......its a public voice. also, im sure that CC got better publicity with the banned album covers etc. Obituary didnt need a gimmick.....

memnoch 2002-08-27 15:50

Well whatever.....i don't care about popularity.....just cause a band's popular doesn't mean i'll like them.

I mean hell.....i don't like Ozzy, and he's one of the biggest people in metal (probably THE biggest).

OpethRules 2002-08-27 16:27

Quote:
Originally posted by memnoch

I mean hell.....i don't like Ozzy, and he's one of the biggest people in metal (probably THE biggest).

Lets not bring Ozzy into this, another argument will get started. Let the king of metal, rest.;)

slayme_returns 2002-08-27 17:14

Quote:
Originally posted by OpethRules

Lets not bring Ozzy into this, another argument will get started. Let the king of metal, rest.;)

Ozzy's dead?

OpethRules 2002-08-27 17:43

Quote:

Ozzy's dead?

No, that's now what I meant. I meant to say let's leave him alone because there is a huge argument going on with him in another thread in here, so let's just get back to the topic in this thread.

slayme_returns 2002-08-27 18:28

dude, i know what you meant. your sarcasm detector was obviously on vacation.