MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music Theory (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Jazz... (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29472)

deli_creep 2006-10-14 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonGuitars07
What Jazz artists/bands would play a style in similar to say, the jazzy interludes and leads that a band such as Sleep Terror plays? I am looking for that style jazz as opposed to this laid back Kenny G type stuff in my household. Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Also, what are some good sites to learn about jazz theory/extended chords in scale/jazz progressions/scales/soloing?


Never listened to sleep terror, but you should check out the alex skolnick trio. For those of you who are unaware (Shame!) alex skolnick is the lead guitarist of Testament. Probably one of the greatest 80's shredders, right up there with marty friedman. But yeah, he also plays jazz. I think he does a cover of electric eye.

THATDUDE7 2006-10-17 21:55

i love the jazz break in 43% burnt, destro's secret and weekend sex change by the dillinger escape plan

and the little jazz break in binary part 2 by ion dissonisance

i love jazz like this but i have no idea how to play stuff like it

and protos cosmos by allan holdsworths lead style

Unanything 2006-10-24 04:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by THATDUDE7
i love the jazz break in 43% burnt, destro's secret and weekend sex change by the dillinger escape plan

and the little jazz break in binary part 2 by ion dissonisance

i love jazz like this but i have no idea how to play stuff like it

and protos cosmos by allan holdsworths lead style


You should go and learn some Cynic clean parts to help you out there. I just fuinished recording my first song, and all the clean stuff and textures that Cynic use had a great influence on me. Although my other major influence is stuff like Gorguts, so you can imagine the direction that it all got bent in.

I also think it would be good learning for metal players because Cynic managed to fuse jazz seamlessly with metal. It doesn't sound like you are listening to a metal band with jazz breaks or something. It's because they actually composed songs instead instead of just pretentiously went genre-hopping. Another important lesson to composers out there.

THATDUDE7 2006-12-26 00:19

lol that didnt help if anyone can tell me of some artists that play jazz like this can you let me know?

problematic 2006-12-26 04:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by THATDUDE7
lol that didnt help if anyone can tell me of some artists that play jazz like this can you let me know?

Maybe you'll like something like THIS?

I know of more if you want, it's hard to find 'non-happy' sounding instrumental jazz though.

JonR 2006-12-27 12:00

I hadn't heard of Sleep Terror, but having checked out a YouTube video, I suggest you look up Frank Zappa, who was probably the founding father of that sort of thing in 60s (rock guitar sounds with jazz thinking).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MoExM8H-c9k

More contemporary figures (all more on the jazz side than the metal side, but still with an edge) worth checking out are:

John Zorn (sax player)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ajS3cbkoZX0

John Scofield - here's an early jazz-funk piece:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KfHsvZj8Wx0

Billy Jenkins - my personal hero, has been playing avant garde and free jazz guitar with a punk edge for over 30 years.
He's currently on a tongue-in-cheek blues kick:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ogyx1dEpxp4
...and here's the first part of a documentary on him:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7vQLuzjkFBo
Wait till around 1.46 into the video for a typical example of his guitar "style".... :rolleyes:

problematic 2006-12-27 21:08

Those were some great pieces, but I dislike Billy Jenkins' music. Just not my thing. John Scofield and the especially that drummer Dennis Chambers fucking ripped it up!

Thanks for sharing dude.

Here's more shit I like:

Mahavishnu Orchestra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J88Ep3_vKIk

This is old school - Django Reinhardt ... A gypsy with two fingers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5FZVlN44CE

Fusion... Chick Corea - Spain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7lGi_BgHlU

JonR 2006-12-28 10:19

Jenkins is an acquired taste, true enough. I guess I like his sense of humour more than his music.

I'm a big Django fan too, but I doubt this is the sort of thing the OP is looking for. You can't get much further apart than Sleep Terror and the Hot Club of France! :rolleyes:

problematic 2006-12-28 20:42

Haha very true.. I still felt like posting it though.

Anyhow he's not replying, he probably hasn't seen our replies anyhow :p.

Sic_Fitzravia 2007-01-04 04:48

Django Reinhardt owns! my favourite old skool jazz player.His lead style is incredible. cant imagine how he can come up with such licks. it would be nice to play like him!

Cynic on the other hand does sound like genre-hopping to me.it does have jazz breaks between metal riffs for example the song textures and also veil of maya.Since im a noob myself you guys can correct me anytime. i dont really get the point of fusing jazz with metal if there is such term as genre-hopping. Thanks

Unanything 2007-01-04 08:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic_Fitzravia
Django Reinhardt owns! my favourite old skool jazz player.His lead style is incredible. cant imagine how he can come up with such licks. it would be nice to play like him!

Cynic on the other hand does sound like genre-hopping to me.it does have jazz breaks between metal riffs for example the song textures and also veil of maya.Since im a noob myself you guys can correct me anytime. i dont really get the point of fusing jazz with metal if there is such term as genre-hopping. Thanks


It can seem like they are just skipping between metal and jazz, but Masvidal and co. do not really write by genre and it does to me sound blended. The melodies even it out.

You could say the same about my music, but I've written, I've not 'hopped genres'. I barely listen to any jazz. If you want to listen, follow the garageband link in my signature.

Sic_Fitzravia 2007-01-04 12:44

Heard your song called Blades of contingency from the link. its a bit sudden to me at 0.20 where you change the pace but the whispering vocals are quite cool and the riff where you bring up the pace back works just great.At 2.30 your solo kinda remind me of Ron jarzombek's Spastic ink style.IMO the bass is kinda lack during your break. Good job though cause i myself not been able to write that kinda stuff yet. Mostly my compositions are jazz/folk but still am very noob.Hopefully one day i can fuse them with metal.

Unanything 2007-01-05 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic_Fitzravia
Heard your song called Blades of contingency from the link. its a bit sudden to me at 0.20 where you change the pace but the whispering vocals are quite cool and the riff where you bring up the pace back works just great.At 2.30 your solo kinda remind me of Ron jarzombek's Spastic ink style.IMO the bass is kinda lack during your break. Good job though cause i myself not been able to write that kinda stuff yet. Mostly my compositions are jazz/folk but still am very noob.Hopefully one day i can fuse them with metal.


Thanks. But you see what I mean though. To do jazz or fusion, fusion especially, you have to stop thinking jazz or fusion.

Adrian_15 2007-01-05 11:23

Try to listen to Greg Howe

Unanything 2007-01-07 16:28

That won't help. I listened to plenty of jazz to try and get the feel for it, but I still coudn't write it for shit. I found that theoretically taking it apart is a good way.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.