MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Newspaper help (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29463)

far_beyond_sane 2006-04-18 12:38

Newspaper help

Hello cunts,

I need to come up with a list of some of the most widely read (while also being not dodgy) newspapers available online.

I already read:

US
- Washington Post
- NY Times

UK
- Guardian
- Times

Australia
- Syd. Morning Herald
- The Age
- news.com.au

Wire Services
- Reuters.com

I want another paper or two from U.S., at least three from mainland Europe, and two from Canada, and no pissy local papers. Also good are 'weird news' sites. I like weird news.

Come on, you allegedly educated fucks. What should I be reading?

sqol 2006-04-18 13:13

The Sun, the best newspaper in the UK!

humancorpse 2006-04-18 13:16

What languages can you read, other than english? I suppose I could give you some mainland Europe papers, but they probably wouldn`t be in english...

low-tech 2006-04-18 13:23

wall street journal

PST 88 2006-04-18 13:53

Definitely Wall Street Journal. Avoid USA Today like mental leprosy. The Chicago Tribune is all right but I'm not sure I'd recommend it; the same goes for the major papers of most major US cities. Many of them pick up stuff from Reuters, though.

I've got a newspaper savvy friend here at school and will see about asking him, and then get back to you.

low-tech 2006-04-18 14:59

a know its not a newspaper but if you could stream NPR<national public broadcast>somewhere online, that is excellent news. they usually cover BBC world news at certain times. i dont know much about the BBC beyond that its alot better than anything else on the radio where im at. they have thier world news segment and a US news one back to back as well.

the reason why i bring it up is that i listened to the washington DC/philly broadcast when i lived down south and now the boston one. its my favorite source of news.

BassBehemoth 2006-04-18 17:26

The Globe and Mail.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/

far_beyond_sane 2006-04-18 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
Definitely Wall Street Journal. Avoid USA Today like mental leprosy. The Chicago Tribune is all right but I'm not sure I'd recommend it; the same goes for the major papers of most major US cities. Many of them pick up stuff from Reuters, though.

I've got a newspaper savvy friend here at school and will see about asking him, and then get back to you.

Well said. WSJ is good, Chic. Tribune is OK but too local in focus, Reuters often has the scoop on balls-everything. All these things are true.

Humancorpse, I can muddle my way through French quite easily and German quite very not at all easily, but this is not an occasion for muddling. English only.

L,B'XXX 2006-04-18 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-tech
a know its not a newspaper but if you could stream NPR<national public broadcast>somewhere online, that is excellent news. they usually cover BBC world news at certain times. i dont know much about the BBC beyond that its alot better than anything else on the radio where im at. they have thier world news segment and a US news one back to back as well.

the reason why i bring it up is that i listened to the washington DC/philly broadcast when i lived down south and now the boston one. its my favorite source of news.

NPR has news online. I go there mostly for music news. I was told they're biased like the others usually are, but there's less fluff to their news. I'm not sure they'd be considered a "newspaper," but here's the link if you're interested. http://www.npr.org/

What kind of project are you working on, fbs?

johnmansley 2006-04-19 03:43

Try the Financial Times.

far_beyond_sane 2006-04-19 04:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by L,B'XXX
What kind of project are you working on, fbs?

That's not for old ears to hear. You'll gum it up with olditude.

(Suffice to say it's professional and entirely un-metal-related).

L,B'XXX 2006-04-19 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
That's not for old ears to hear. You'll gum it up with olditude.

(Suffice to say it's professional and entirely un-metal-related).

Fair enough. Olditude. Cool word. :)

Amadeus 2006-04-19 16:58

He's planning a series of strategical attacks at the world's serious deliverers of news. Leaving the world bereft of any kind of truth-oriented journalism, he can start doing something real out of the boasting in his signature.

far_beyond_sane 2006-04-19 19:24

Mainland European papers, cunts. Come on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
Leaving the world bereft of any kind of truth-oriented journalism, he can start doing something real out of the boasting in his signature.

You are such a goddamn ballbreaker! I'm decaying them, OK?? Shit. I can only physically corrupt one person at a time. I only have ten fingers.

L,B'XXX 2006-04-19 19:49

You should do like my cockatiel does and just poop on them while you whistle the addams' famiy song. Or in your water dish. He does that, too. wally's bird. ;)

moe_blunts 2006-04-19 20:23

dallas morning news isnt bad, but nowhere on the same scale as ny times