MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vocal Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   did i permenenty lose the ability to growl? (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29334)

squibee 2006-07-15 00:07

I am a newbie vocalist, and when I am growling, I don't feel pain after I am done, but usually my throat gets really itchy and I start coughing, and this is mixed with a tolerable but annoying pain while I am growling. I am assuming that this is because I am just beginning to excercise my vocal cords, but is this the case, or am I doing it wrong?

BTW, sorry for being off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread because this is similar in subject matter.

EDIT: If I growl so that I am using my diaphram it sounds kinda cool and doesn't hurt nor itch, however I can't only use that growl or else I would be monotonus. The growl that itches is made from me like clearnig my throat.

The.Jester.Race 2006-07-16 01:02

Besides that kind of pain that everyone have when they start growling and disappears after a week or so (I guess that's what you're talking about), u should'nt be growling if it hurts. Clearing your throat hurts the vocal cords and u should avoid it, maybe do hard swallowing instead.

squibee 2006-07-16 01:36

All right man, thanks for the advice. The pain that you mentioned must be the same, because even a day later, I noticed less pain, which was just an annoyance anyways.

Robbie Filth 2006-07-16 03:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Jester.Race
maybe do hard swallowing instead.

:rolleyes: I don't know why but something about this remark amuses me slightly.

Cassius 2006-07-16 16:05

Not everyone is meant to growl, bro. I'd say if it'ss giving you that much trouble, you probably need to call it quits with the growling.
When I first started the wrost I got was a little pain for a day or so. The throat should eventually toughen up and if done properly the growl should cause little to no pain/irritation at all.
Personally, I like to drink hot green tea before I growl, and sometimes I gargle salt water. Everyone has their own remedies that they do. Also, if you smoke..STOP! When I was smoking my growls were so raspy and haggard it was sick. Since I've stopped smoking my growls have much better tone to them.
Try to do anything that will relax the throat before growling. You may even want to try practicing by growling softly, sounds dumb I know, but it works. If you want to toughen your throat just growl so you get the tone, but not as much volume.

Dissection 2006-07-16 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Jester.Race
well im 16 and yesterday i growled a lot and in the evening my normal voice actually changed for like half hour and when i tried to growl i had really strange pain i never felt before that seems to come from a spot near the left side of the throat. the crappy thing is my throat wasnt sore or something and everything was ok till that happened.
so now i woke up and i feel a pain in my throat (not in that left spot). i can feel it a little bit when i swallow but it comes really hard when i try growl and my growl sounds kinda crappy.
wtf? =[

Okay, your voice WILL come back.
This is to anyone else who is learning how to growl.
You have to growl all day, and deal with the pain until your throat heals.
After it heals, do it again.
And again, and again.

This will help your growl get better, and it IS the only way, really. And it works.

jazzmetalguitar 2006-07-16 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissection
Okay, your voice WILL come back.
This is to anyone else who is learning how to growl.
You have to growl all day, and deal with the pain until your throat heals.
After it heals, do it again.
And again, and again.

This will help your growl get better, and it IS the only way, really. And it works.

agreed. this is no different than finger pain experienced when first learning to play guitar. just as you have to strengthen finger muscles. you have to strengthen your voice.

The.Jester.Race 2006-07-17 09:30

hehe thanks but im not so sure cuz this shit is back and since 21 may i cant growl anymore (yes i remember the date :confused: ) i dont know it feels like my throat is always dry or something, teh doctor said that i breath from my nose in my sleep and gave me nasal drops to clear the nose.. but still it lasts like 2 months in a row, did anyone experience such thing? 0o

squibee 2006-07-17 22:20

I can't really talk from a lot of experiance, however after only a couple of days I noticed that the pain was subsiding and I could go longer and louder. It might have been triggered by your growling, but perhaps there is just something else wrong with your throat...