MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bands (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Arguments For (or against) Technicality (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29323)

mortpayne 2006-04-11 13:07

Arguments For (or against) Technicality
 
I thought about posting this in the Theory Forum, but it doesn't have to do with any specific music theories, rather technicality in general.

I think a lot of people prefer technical metal over the simpler side of it because it's musically impressive. But then there are those types of bands that, while they don't play extremely difficult riffs, they still sound good. I'd have to say that my personal riff-writing style is nowhere near the technical side of death metal because I put more emphasis on what sounds good to my ears, whether it takes a lot of skill or not. Let's face it, some of the technical death metal going on these days is so complicated that no one besides a musician could appreciate it. And even as a musician I hear some of this stuff and think, "sure, they're skilled, but this isn't very entertaining to just listen to". I think every band should put enough effort into their material that they can be separated from the cliche numetal one-finger rumbling crap that sounds the same with almost every song. But I also think that a wicked atmosphere through the sound of it in a more abstract way should be considered over showing off. What are your thoughts on it? How important to you is technicality, and why do you prefer heaping loads of it or only a pinch?

(I think it goes without saying that there's no need for "non-technical bands suck, period"; I would like to hear your detailed thoughts and reasons for your preference and opinion on the subject; hopefully this can be an interesting discussion that opens peoples' minds up to debate :beer: )

walpurgis 2006-04-11 13:19

I must say. I like this topic. I'm all for technicality at times, but I feel like it, and every other form of guitarwork or technique, can be horribly overdone. Personally, I prefer songs with a distinguishable groove over 3 million notes per verse. I get bored with that very quickly. I feel that way even moreso with solos. They don't need a groove per se, and even though it's probably considered blasphemous on these forums because of the e-blowjobs shredders seem to get all the time, but I'm getting a bit sick of constant sweep picking and extremely fast runs that the guitarist does over and over again. I understand the skill involved, and while I can't sweep all that well, I still am not impressed anymore with it being done...

I gotta get ready for work soon. I'll probably be back to further discuss this subject, I think I just ranted randomly above. I'm sick to the point of not thinking real straight, so if it's confusing, that's why.

moe_blunts 2006-04-11 13:36

my favorite subgenre of metal is most definately black metal, so i tend to like easier riffs that flow together well more than the extremely complicated polyrhythms of the crazy ass tech death bands.

that being said, im also a huge fan of meldoic death. i think melodic is the key adjective for me when it comes to metal. also it needs good harmony or brilliant disharmony, like GORGUTS

Requiem 2006-04-11 13:37

Opeth does a great job at that

MetalThrashingMad 2006-04-11 14:07

I think technicality, like anything, has a place and time. It is not always necessary, but it is really good in many places.

humancorpse 2006-04-11 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
I think technicality, like anything, has a place and time. It is not always necessary, but it is really good in many places.

+1

PST 88 2006-04-11 14:31

I tend to argue towards necessity. Complex ideas require complex expression, and in that case technicality is appreciated. In that case doing something difficult is beside the point, not the point itself. It's used to get the point across. But there's a tendency in everything to confuse the two. So we have bad movies that exist just so the lead actor can do something difficult, we have men's figure skating which has eschewed everything but difficulty as a criterion for assessing a performance, and we have a lot of bands that show that all their practice time was put to learning how to pull off difficult techniques and not into understanding why they would be doing so. You can (have to) train yourself to be a good songwriter, but very few people do.

Being able to do something difficult is cool. But having an understanding of music and letting that understanding dictate when and to what extent difficult things should be done is cooler.

obrien20 2006-04-11 15:17

Technicality, its funny.

If you play any instruments, expecially drums and guitars, you'll enjoy the musician skill, its catchy, makes you try to do the same stuff that the guy is doing, its fun.

If you don't play any instruments, you'll get bored. its a fact.

PST 88 2006-04-11 15:22

Not if there's something else there.

Ten Ton Alien 2006-04-11 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by obrien20
If you don't play any instruments, you'll get bored. its a fact.


i disagree. i don't play any instrument whatsoever and yet, i'm always giving Cynic, Spiral Architect or Necrophagist a spin.

good music is good music, regardless of technique or skill.

brainsforbreakfast 2006-04-11 17:23

I sometimes feel technical deathmetal is becoming the next shred metal..

TruthDevoid 2006-04-11 17:29

i'm all for technicality, as long as it's not a priority over songwriting.

newHELLonEARTH 2006-04-11 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
I think technicality, like anything, has a place and time. It is not always necessary, but it is really good in many places.

yeah, that. Btw, check out Martyr. They're technical, but they're all about the feel too.

Kalmahswamp 2006-04-11 17:59

They should probably check out Gorguts, Cryptopsy, and Cynic too right??? :eek:

Doktorskell 2006-04-11 18:13

i am quite the same as what someone above said.

Probably 70% of the music i buy is Black Metal

But the songs that i write that my bands play is fairly Tech Death metal.

For me its not about showing off (Even tho i am an attention whore by nature)
its just that when i sit with my guitar and write songs i tend to get bored if its not hard to play. Therefore i write riffs then spend a day or so learning how to play them. to me writing songs is a learning experiance. I just want to be a good guitarist.

newHELLonEARTH 2006-04-11 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmahswamp
They should probably check out Gorguts, Cryptopsy, and Cynic too right??? :eek:

hah hell yeah.

Defiant Mind 2006-04-11 18:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorskell
i am quite the same as what someone above said.

Probably 70% of the music i buy is Black Metal

But the songs that i write that my bands play is fairly Tech Death metal.

For me its not about showing off (Even tho i am an attention whore by nature)
its just that when i sit with my guitar and write songs i tend to get bored if its not hard to play. Therefore i write riffs then spend a day or so learning how to play them. to me writing songs is a learning experiance. I just want to be a good guitarist.


HA!.. lol that's the exact opposite of what I do.. I learn hard to play songs to become a better guitarist in general (I usually play Extreme Unction .. good practice ;) ).. and when I write stuff.. I usually write Black Metal that is simple to play but good sounding.. (Like the songs on my MySpace..)

Doktorskell 2006-04-11 18:51

dude... Myspace is for fggts

Defiant Mind 2006-04-11 18:55

Dude YOU're a faggot .. how about you shut the fuck up if you got nothing to say? MySpace is for faggots if you're trying to make "fake friends".. but its OK for uploading songs.. so stfu

Doktorskell 2006-04-11 19:13

wow dude. dont get so offended.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.