MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Question For Finger Bassists (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29149)

mortpayne 2006-04-03 19:41

Question For Finger Bassists

What do most of you do for the faster parts of songs? If the guitarist is doing, say, the thrash-type riffing, obviously with fingers you can't do that -- it takes a pick. What I thought would work best would be to cut the amount of notes in half. For instance, if the guitarist goes through a fast riff hitting a note 16 times, then the bassist would hit the note 8 times. Since the fingers can't do rapid up and down strokes like a pick, they would only do half of the notes. Get what I'm saying? Anyway, I was wondering if there were any techniques some bassists use to match with the guitar better, or is the way I do it the most common?

Tattered 2006-04-03 20:00

Obviously playing 8th notes from the 16th notes is a easier way out, but keeping up and tight with the 16th notes in a thrash guitar riff involves high coordination with your 3rd finger (ring), and if you can.. your 4th! (pinky, little finger) so your doing a 3 or 4 right handed finger technique..

Im sure a lot of the bassists here can familiarize with the bassist Alex Webster and his technique in keeping up with a lot of the guitar riffs in Cannibal Corpse, he uses the 3 fingered technique.

Hope this helps,

:beer:

JesterRace 2006-04-03 20:33

A) Practice and play as fast as the guitar(it is possible).

B) Write a groove that is a slower tempo than the guitar.

BassBehemoth 2006-04-03 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpayne
What do most of you do for the faster parts of songs? If the guitarist is doing, say, the thrash-type riffing, obviously with fingers you can't do that -- it takes a pick. What I thought would work best would be to cut the amount of notes in half. For instance, if the guitarist goes through a fast riff hitting a note 16 times, then the bassist would hit the note 8 times. Since the fingers can't do rapid up and down strokes like a pick, they would only do half of the notes. Get what I'm saying? Anyway, I was wondering if there were any techniques some bassists use to match with the guitar better, or is the way I do it the most common?

3 finger technique like Tattered has stated..Any speed is possible using fingers.

Disincarnate 2006-04-04 03:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Any speed is possible using fingers.

agreed.try checking out alex webster and steve digiorgio... go to stevs website n theres a anrticle written by him on how to improve right hand speed

mortpayne 2006-04-04 09:11

Thanks for the imput, guys. I tried the three finger thing -- which will definitely take some practice. But I see what you're saying. I'm sure my hand will overcome its retardation eventually and I can do it. :p

SolothurN 2006-04-04 11:37

check forums here, there was a thread about learing a 3 fingers technique. important thing is to keep your nails short, so even at fast notes the sound will be clean (unless you want sound like playing with pick :P) if you have good coordination and stamina in your right hand :D you can even keep up with 2 fingers

Requiem 2006-04-04 12:44

I use 3 fingers for thoose parts

koglos 2006-04-04 14:39

Here is some shit that has helped me:

[Learn finger independance]
http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass...es/Hanging_Ten/

[Learn to play evenly and precisely]
http://www.stevedigiorgio.com/bin/column.pdf

[Strength]
A device known as the "Gripmaster"

Although none of these tips and tricks can be substituded for the shitload of time, patience and dedication which it actually takes to learn these techniques. If you practise this (or anything else) every day, and record yourself doing it once a month, you are guaranteed to notice improvement from one month to the next (unless u have a learning disability). Just takes commitment, that's all.

deadnight_warrior 2006-04-04 15:33

i use my index middle and ring fingers, alternating like this:

-for keeping up with a guitar "tremolo" picking:
index-middle-ring-middle-index-middle-ring-middle-etc.....

-for triplets
index-ring-middle-index-ring-middle-etc....

hope that helped :uzi:

koglos 2006-04-04 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadnight_warrior
i use my index middle and ring fingers, alternating like this:

-for keeping up with a guitar "tremolo" picking:
index-middle-ring-middle-index-middle-ring-middle-etc.....

-for triplets
index-ring-middle-index-ring-middle-etc....

hope that helped :uzi:

This is an example of a finger-pattern which this person uses. You should generally use whatever pattern you find most comfortable and familiar.

The main thing to keep in mind is that any pattern involving 3 or 4 fingers will take months to learn proficiently, and could take years to master. So be patient.

Tattered 2006-04-04 16:23

What helped me incorporate the 3 finger style, or by making it more precise, and seperating the rhythms, was using one of John Myung's practice techniques, where you practice doing scales with just your Index (1) and your Ring (3) fingers, so doing 8th notes or 16th notes at a speed you can handle (much better off really slow) and doing that till your ring finger has stamina and is in rhythm with your index.

Moving onto:
Going through scales with just your Middle (2) and Ring (3) finger, and build up speed from a slow bpm (if your practicing with a metronome) (http://www.metronomeonline.com/) - great online metronome.

And after alternating your fingers in practicing scales and riffs and whatever else you practice, your 3 fingered technique should be much more precise, of course you can use that same method with your little finger.

Doktorskell 2006-04-07 00:00

practise enough and you will be able to keep up with the guitarist

BassBehemoth 2006-04-07 00:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorskell
practise enough and you will be able to keep up with the guitarist

You mean practise enough and the guitarist will be able to keep up with the bassist.

Disincarnate 2006-04-07 04:44

something which helped me increase my speed very quickly and improved my stamina was that i played 3-2-1-2-3-2-1 or any pattern that You are comfortable with on a desk or table

koglos 2006-04-07 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
You mean practise enough and the guitarist will be able to keep up with the bassist.

There's an attitude for success.

VolVox 2006-05-09 11:05

I never believed that playing as fast as the guitars playing 3Finger styled is possible, but when I checked my speed some weeks ago, i changed my mind. However, it does not make any SENSE if you play that fast. It doesnt sound half as good as playing the 8ths the way you described it while playing straight 16ths at < 200bpm. I would always check whether it fits into the actual Riff or whatever, or if 8ths would sound better.
Hint: Alex Webster has problems playing faster than 180bpm. Dont concentrate too much on building up speed.

Robbie Filth 2006-05-09 13:19

Tom from Beef Conspiracy uses a 4 finger technique.

Amadeus 2006-05-09 14:48

Just a small sidetrack question on the topic - personally I have never met a bassist who plays with a pick and myself I think it feels downright awkward when I try. How usual is it to use a pick for bass playing, and is there anything to actually gain from it compared to the multifinger-techniques?

mortpayne 2006-05-09 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
Just a small sidetrack question on the topic - personally I have never met a bassist who plays with a pick and myself I think it feels downright awkward when I try. How usual is it to use a pick for bass playing, and is there anything to actually gain from it compared to the multifinger-techniques?

There are plenty of pick bassists out there. It's just that most metalheads consider it a weakness (how? beats me). Of course, if you can't get the three or four finger speed down (which by the way, nope, I still haven't done it) then it's much easier to play fast. Also, it usually makes the notes sound clearer and brightens/freshens the tone a bit. I would say that those are the most commong reasons one would use a pick: speed and tone. Of course, it goes without saying that it's still completely a matter of opinion. But yeah, some people just like the feel of it and some don't.