MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The Awesome Science Thread (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27778)

powersofterror 2006-02-16 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane

Haha, the movie Total Recall comes alive!!!!

far_beyond_sane 2006-02-17 20:15

The word MAGNETAR is totally awesome.

It sounds like a Transformer.

More astronomy - not everything built in Mexico is cheap shit.

far_beyond_sane 2006-02-17 21:39

Well, now we've got astonomy and astrophysics out of the way for a while, let's see if we can't savagely debunk some silly psychologist's research like the limp fish it is.

Read this sensationalised account of a recent study into decision making, and see if you can spot the big problem.

The study is here.

johnmansley 2006-02-18 12:33

It's a subjective opinion that they are basing it on, i.e. choosing the 'best' car?

far_beyond_sane 2006-02-18 21:37

Close. Possibly a problem, depending on the way you construct the study.

But not as serious as something else.

far_beyond_sane 2006-02-18 21:57

Har har. Anyone who believe in Chinese tradition medicine is a dick!

Also, today's classic "conflated third variable" study brought to you by some goofy Yankee fucks.

blizzard_beast 2006-02-18 23:12

Quote:
Close. Possibly a problem, depending on the way you construct the study.

But not as serious as something else.

The way in which if a person uncovers a particular unconscious thought , it no longer is in the unconscious, and is subject to the same "problems" this pop psychologist describes, that enter conscious thought?

Or is it the fact that a person can't possibly know what kind of unconscious decisions he's making, and if one does, it's no longer an unconscious decision?

Those two are kind of similar, but it's all I could come up with.

far_beyond_sane 2006-02-21 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_beast
The way in which if a person uncovers a particular unconscious thought , it no longer is in the unconscious, and is subject to the same "problems" this pop psychologist describes, that enter conscious thought?

Or is it the fact that a person can't possibly know what kind of unconscious decisions he's making, and if one does, it's no longer an unconscious decision?

Yeah, now we're getting to it.

More like BILL AWESOME! GO CYBERBILL!

far_beyond_sane 2006-02-24 10:29

OH, THIS ONE IS GOING TO FUCK YOU.

Read that.

That whooshing sound?

That's the cold air of the universe blowing over your brain.

Amadeus 2006-02-24 12:21

So in essence, what the boneheads that constructed Deep Thought (Hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy...) really should have done, whas shutting the thing down and see if maybe something had happened the day after.

One question though, to anyone more up to date than myself on quantum computing:
Even though you can control the state of the photon you send into the system - you can decide to put it into a superposition - how can you control what the computer does, since the thing technically is shut down? Or do you just start (no, no pun intended) the process and hope for the best?

Amadeus 2006-02-24 12:38

Quote:
Yeah, now we're getting to it.

More like BILL AWESOME! GO CYBERBILL!

That one seemed fairly intriguing. But I can't help to feel that there is a certain risk in tampering with your own consciousness in order to gain knowledge about your consciousness. A little bit like setting out to open a box with the key that is safely locked away in said box. And, perhaps even more, a little bit of modern physics as well (good going FBS, you've found a philosophical connection between your subjects) in that it appears, to me, impossible to observe without affecting. Are the humanists, in fact, heading towards an uncertanity principle all of their own? I am looking forward to more posting on this matter from you, FBS.

johnmansley 2006-02-24 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
So in essence, what the boneheads that constructed Deep Thought (Hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy...) really should have done, whas shutting the thing down and see if maybe something had happened the day after.

One question though, to anyone more up to date than myself on quantum computing:
Even though you can control the state of the photon you send into the system - you can decide to put it into a superposition - how can you control what the computer does, since the thing technically is shut down? Or do you just start (no, no pun intended) the process and hope for the best?

Presumably, the computer is not shut down completely otherwise there would be no means by which to view the answer. Maybe the series of commands is known but not "run" and so you get the answer whether you run the command or not. Quite startling really, but not the weirdest occurrence in the quantum world.

Amadeus 2006-02-25 12:51

Certainly not. Jeez, I've been studying the practical aspects of science for so long that I'd almost, well not forgot but anyhow, how endless much fun that can be derived from the field of quantum mechanics.
We salute thee, Planck.

Amadeus 2006-02-26 14:26

Say now, you are not going to abandon this thread already are you? It's things like these that really make the forum, if you get my drift.

far_beyond_sane 2006-02-27 23:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
Say now, you are not going to abandon this thread already are you? It's things like these that really make the forum, if you get my drift.

You must be kidding. This is the only thread the morons are afraid of. I love it, and want to let it rape me.

Today's science is pretty gay.

Finally. I always suspected this was true. The more we know about faggery, the less people will be scared of it.

far_beyond_sane 2006-03-02 10:38

OH DEAR, THIS IS FANTASTIC.

My name is Far Beyond Sane, and I heartily endorse the phrase "Penis-Melting Zionist Robot Combs".

Too awesome for words. Read.

johnmansley 2006-03-02 16:12

Whatever next?!

far_beyond_sane 2006-03-03 19:04

Alright, you pig-dicker. I bet you don't have the balls to read these. I'm posting them anyway.

First we have the Eukaryote theory and then we have the Viral theory.

What are they? Two competing accounts on where life came from. Get into it.

Transient 2006-03-03 19:54

delete this post if you want FBS but this new PC game thats coming out looks fucking awesome and is tied in to the creation of life
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...0559198&q=spore

Dyldo 2006-03-03 23:21

www.badastronomy.com

I love this site. It shows how wrong every movie is on science and other cool stuff.