MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music Theory (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Melodic souding scales (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27464)

outlawstar_101 2006-01-30 12:49

Melodic souding scales

I was wondering if anyone knows some scales that give off a melodic sound or classical sound and could give me a list of them or something? Im not sure if you all saw this video but It was Alexi Laiho and Roope Latvala playing vivaldi's summer.I beleive the video is called Passage to the reaper and I like the way it sounds so some scales in that area would be kewl. Even something that Children of Bodom uses, do you know what some of the scales ares used in children of bodom?

Thank you.

:flame: :flame: :beer: :D

JacksonGuitars07 2006-01-30 13:24

To save you from a flaming, I will inform you about the search feature, it is in the top of the navigation bar and you can search the forum for whatever you need. If you need something that isn't already being discussed, then post a new topic.

On the subject of your question, Alexi is very influenced by classical music, and the theory, in general, is an awful lot to digest. I have been studying Children of Bodom, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker, etc. and have still not mastered all the theory you need to know to write neoclassical sounding licks and melodies.

Here's a few pointers:
-Use your basic major/minor, harmonic minor, and melodic minor scales
-Use the church modes to your advantage, mastery of each of these will help you further on
-Use a pedal tone or phrase in your leads
-Wider intervals sound classical
-Use arpeggios
-Play through a progression using arpeggios, using the major or minor arpeggio followed by a diminished arpeggio sounds classical.

davie_gravy 2006-01-30 17:30

That little harmonized trem picked part follows the phrygian mode shape.

JacksonGuitars07 2006-01-30 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie_gravy
That little harmonized trem picked part follows the phrygian mode shape.

What are you talking about?

davie_gravy 2006-01-31 09:57

Can't remember offhand, this is from memory.

The phrase goes something like this...

Code:
E--12-10-8------------------------------ B-----------12-10-8--------------------- G--------------------11-9-7-7-7-7-7-7-7...

It moves up the neck each pass. It may descend more in the scale too. I can't totally remember.

Defiant Mind 2006-01-31 10:58

umm. pretty confusing.. lol but do you mean:(I'm not sure if the tuning's right but the pattern is..)

E --10-8-6-------------------------------
B ----------10-8-7-----------------------
G ------------------9-7-5----------------
D -------------------------8-7-555555555

?? :confused:

k13m 2006-01-31 13:49

learn these scales

pure (natural) minor
harmonic minor
melodic minor
diminishes

DONE!!!!!!!

combine harmonic minor with diminished to egt some classic feel, or even combine major with diminished, can sound verry classical aswell

davie_gravy 2006-01-31 15:32

Yea... that's prob right. I never tried to play it... and man it's not phrygian mode now is it.

Mayhem666 2006-01-31 19:07

whats a church mode?

JacksonGuitars07 2006-02-01 11:43

The church modes are the seven modes of the major scale. They are, in order:

Ionian
Dorian
Phrygian
Lydian
Mixolydian
Aeolian
Locrian

Mayhem666 2006-02-01 16:08

ooooooh

Weiya 2006-02-14 12:19

Was doing some sweep exercises...I think this sounds quite classical(minor,major,minor,dimnished)

Code:
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S E||----------3---------------3-------|----------3---------------2-------|----|| B||--------3---3-----------4---4-----|--------3---3-----------1---1-----|----|| G||------3-------3-------3-------3---|------3-------3-------2-------2---|----|| D||----5-----------5---5-----------5-|----5-----------5---1-----------1-|----|| A||--5---------------6---------------|--5---------------3---------------|----|| E||----------------------------------|----------------------------------

Unanything 2006-02-14 14:34

I think Winds Of Creation by Decapitated had a really classical feel to it, and that's probably because the band were fresh out of music school when it was made.

There's a lot of use of harmonic and natural minor and their modes on it. The main riff in The First Damned is in D# Phrygian.

oRg 2006-02-23 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonGuitars07
The church modes are the seven modes of the major scale. They are, in order:

Ionian
Dorian
Phrygian
Lydian
Mixolydian
Aeolian
Locrian

Technically speaking, Locrian isn't a church mode, although it is a mode of the major scale. It's just not refered to in music theory as a church mode.

JacksonGuitars07 2006-02-23 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oRg
Technically speaking, Locrian isn't a church mode, although it is a mode of the major scale. It's just not refered to in music theory as a church mode.

What theory have you been taking? It IS one of the church modes, as the church modes are only a name for the names of the seven modes of the major scale. They were named so because each mode of the major scale consists of only white keys on the organ/piano. So the Locrian technically is a church mode. It said so in Guitar World awhile ago. Then again, Guitar World could be wrong.

johnmansley 2006-02-24 03:55

There are eight church modes:

I Dorian
II Hypodorian
III Phrygian
IV Hypophrygian
V Lydian
VI Hypolydian
VII Mixolydian
VIII Hypomixolydian

[Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modes]

Unanything 2006-02-24 13:49

I found this scale in Guitar Pro 5's scale list when I was last on it.
Very melodic.

The Iwota scale I believe it was called.
It's a pentatonic, despite having a very melancholic, Greek, churchy feel.

Code:
E[--------------] B[--------------] G[--------------] D[--------0-----] A[----0-1-------] E[0-1-----------]

Nice and easy to remember. And shift about in fast!
Slightly altering it has interesting results. Shift the 7th a semitone down perhaps...

powersofterror 2006-02-25 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
There are eight church modes:

I Dorian
II Hypodorian
III Phrygian
IV Hypophrygian
V Lydian
VI Hypolydian
VII Mixolydian
VIII Hypomixolydian

[Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modes]

You forgot Ionian and Locrian. Mental note to everyone.....The hypo scales, if I remember correctly, are just the said modes starting at the fifth. Hypodorian starts on A. yadda yadda yadda.

I don't know why you guys call them "church modes.".....they're just modes.

Locrian is a mode. It is not used because it has no perfect fifth interval in its scale. B-F is a tritone. It sounds death metal.

JacksonGuitars07 2006-02-25 19:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
You forgot Ionian and Locrian. Mental note to everyone.....The hypo scales, if I remember correctly, are just the said modes starting at the fifth. Hypodorian starts on A. yadda yadda yadda.

Locrian is a mode. It is not used because it has no perfect fifth interval in its scale. B-F is a tritone. It sounds death metal.

I sort of explained the whole "church mode" name thing above. It was in a past issue of Guitar World. Relates to the modes being only the white keys on a church organ/piano.

Unanything 2006-02-26 09:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror

The superlocrian scale is even more death.
Flatten the fourth to a major 3rd and you've got it.
It's the last mode of the jazz minor.