MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Drums Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Time signatures and stuff (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27406)

Demogorgon 2006-01-29 06:08

Time signatures and stuff
 
I really don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ black metal drumm
Mike Uses PURE wrist motion, I can vouch for it, I have seen it with my own 2 eyes, 160 BPM 32nds


Why does he say 160BPM 32nds, and not 320BPM 16ths?
What is the difference? IS there a difference?

NZ, this is nothing personal aye ;) i just wanted to (ab)use your words for starting this thread.

davie_gravy 2006-01-29 15:30

I guess it would be the same. I have no idea...

rabbifoodslicer 2006-01-29 15:45

there is no difference...kinda like playing quarter notes in one hand at 120BPM
and then switching to alternating between right and left. this could either be eighth notes at 60BPM or alternating quater notes at 120BPM...no difference

its just the way they chose to write it

The Execrator 2006-01-29 16:38

The song can be 160BPM but the drums can be in 320(.....). So it would make more since to use 160BPM 32nds instead of 320BPM.

Demogorgon 2006-01-29 18:00

What? :confused:

The Execrator 2006-01-29 18:40

The drums could be played twice as fast as the tempo of the song...

Timo Latvala 2006-01-29 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Execrator
The drums could be played twice as fast as the tempo of the song...


It's that kind of crazy thinking that got people burned at the stake back in the day...

NZ black metal drumm 2006-01-29 19:55

I said 160 bpm 32nds because that was what his metronome was set to! :p

yep you are right, 160 bpm 32nds = 320 BPM 16ths. the only reason for using the higher tempos is 2 fold:

first: boasting 'yeah thats right I can play double bass at 240 bpm yeah yeah' sounds soooo much cooler than 'I can play double bass at 120!'

actually thats just a bit of a joke the REAL reasons are this:

you can play 16ths at 235 BPM, you can't play 32nds at 117.5 BPM (okay technically you can, but no one does)

the other reason is score writing, when you use lower tempos, and write 32nds, thats a lot of notes per bar that you have to fit into one bar, and it gets VERY messy VERY quickly, so you use a double tempo, and halve the number of notes per bar, which is much easier to read and follow.

The Execrator 2006-01-29 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Latvala
It's that kind of crazy thinking that got people burned at the stake back in the day...

You're lucky you live in Finland, otherwise I would have said something stupid to you.

Timo Latvala 2006-01-29 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Execrator
You're lucky you live in Finland, otherwise I would have said something stupid to you.


It's far too late for that, my friend.

The Execrator 2006-01-29 20:23

Again with the Finland thing.

Kai Latvala 2006-01-29 22:27

6/8 is the best. It's like riding a horse into fucking armagaedon. Very epic sounding.

Demogorgon 2006-01-30 05:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ black metal drumm
I said 160 bpm 32nds because that was what his metronome was set to! :p

yep you are right, 160 bpm 32nds = 320 BPM 16ths. the only reason for using the higher tempos is 2 fold:

first: boasting 'yeah thats right I can play double bass at 240 bpm yeah yeah' sounds soooo much cooler than 'I can play double bass at 120!'

actually thats just a bit of a joke the REAL reasons are this:

you can play 16ths at 235 BPM, you can't play 32nds at 117.5 BPM (okay technically you can, but no one does)

the other reason is score writing, when you use lower tempos, and write 32nds, thats a lot of notes per bar that you have to fit into one bar, and it gets VERY messy VERY quickly, so you use a double tempo, and halve the number of notes per bar, which is much easier to read and follow.


Thnx man, now i understand :)
And thnx to the rest too offcourse ;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.