MetalTabs.com Forum

MetalTabs.com Forum (http://metaltabs.com/forum/index.php)
-   Drums Zone (http://metaltabs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Death metal drummers and recognition (http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26732)

soggy 2006-01-02 21:29

Death metal drummers and recognition

Is it just me or do death metal drummers get very little recognition in the drumming world despite the amount of technicality?

The Execrator 2006-01-02 21:37

It's not just you. No other drummers really care about extreme drumming. When I post links of extreme drummers on random drumming sites, most people don't care. I don't blame them because there's only a handful of amazing drummers in extreme metal. Yes, they are all fast as fuck but all they do is blast and play double bass. Its good, but it gets boring, and it's why they don't get attention.

soggy 2006-01-02 21:56

Drumming is drumming, it's repetative. Yeah most death metal drummers sound the same, but its the not just death metal drummers its like that with any genre of drumming. But seriously now, are there any death metal drummers that get recognized by the drumming community...

NZ black metal drumm 2006-01-02 22:32

erm Derek roddy, flo mounier, and Dave Lombardo have recieved some degree of recognition,

davie_gravy 2006-01-03 04:46

Derek Roddy Rules !!11! :p

No seriously, he's fucking badass!!

low-tech 2006-01-03 05:38

i had a rant about this in another thread, and to anyone who remembers what i said id like to add.

a thing that, in my humble opinion, that sets metal drummers apart from the rest is metal drummers focus way more on the actual drumbeats than the fills, most good metal drummer if you listen closely to the drum fill parts its all usually straight 16s everywhere, the range of different drumbeats are staggering compared to other genres with the exception of jazz. the biggest complaints against metal drummers is "dynamics" which is utter BS, what other style of music utilizes the double bass so thoroughly?, what is the fusion rock equivalent of going from a blastbeat down to a slow brutal breakdown,there is none. who wants to listen to quiet music nowadays? NOONE. granted the blastbeat has riegned as the mainstay of tempo for some years now, bands are now really mixing it up more. we have entire genres of metal based soley on how fast it is and what drumbeats are utilized.

most of the naysayers ive encountered are hippy jam band weekend warrior types, dudes who have good rudiment skills and almost no drumbeat versatility beyond psuedo latin groove shit, i could give a fuck about your 164/932 bassanova headache of a drumbeat,these dudes only play one tempo, a tempo that suits rudiments for a person who has no handspeed.this is the type of asshole who gets the congo drums and chimes into the kit,you know, the really bunk world beat tribal drum shit. then you got the jazz dorks who are top notch in terms of rudiments and only play jazz, 3/4 of these dudes dont actually play along with thier accompanying band, listen to a jazz radio station and you will see what im saying, a very small margin of jazz drummers try to actually coordinate the accents,the beats, the fills to remebered parts or if its improv its not a mess which improv usually is anyway, but its like saying piccasso sucks at drawing, the shits a bit abstract and intended to be high brow, but some like me are convinced its all a scam. anyway, most are showboaters who enjoy playing far more than others enjoy listening to them, fuck them and thier 7A nylon tip sticks and thier nice little splash cymbal trees. then you get the out of shape beer gutted bar band rockers. kieth moon and john bodham are the intended goal and aspiration, these are the people when they grow old and tired of the craft, yours truly low-tech arrives at thier house to buy thier top of the line shit for half of what they paid.

edit: hmmm... i believe there is a 22" zildjian ping ride i may check out from an ad off of craigs list, i wonder what kind of drummer this is comming from

Bones98 2006-01-03 12:52

Flo Mounier kicks the shit outta Derek Roddy. Listen to the the harmonic part in Carrionshine and you will see that Flo is sick as fuck.

newHELLonEARTH 2006-01-03 14:21

fuck. flame me for this if you may, but I was listening to Hate Eternal and well Roddy's drumming, as technical as it was, got boring to me. Flo is my favorite drummer of all time for technicality and for putting the perfect drum passage in at the perfect time.

Zertonshfits 2006-01-03 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by newHELLonEARTH
fuck. flame me for this if you may, but I was listening to Hate Eternal and well Roddy's drumming, as technical as it was, got boring to me. Flo is my favorite drummer of all time for technicality and for putting the perfect drum passage in at the perfect time.

here, here!

and its not that extreme metal drummers arent good, it just that they usually all blast at 4/4 timing with double bass at 10000000 miles per second, it gets boring to other drummers, so in turn, they no longer care. the reason jazz drummers for example get more attention is because they can keep perfect time on a funky time signature without screwing up, not just go really fucking fast.

xxgenocide98xx 2006-01-03 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zertonshfits
here, here!

and its not that extreme metal drummers arent good, it just that they usually all blast at 4/4 timing with double bass at 10000000 miles per second, it gets boring to other drummers, so in turn, they no longer care. the reason jazz drummers for example get more attention is because they can keep perfect time on a funky time signature without screwing up, not just go really fucking fast.

Well honestly any competent musician should be able to keep good time in any time signature, unless you're a flipping moron. The reason extreme drummers (as you probably know) keep simple signatures is because its much easier to play faster beats in such a manner, I'd hate to see some funky jazz signatures played at over 250bpm, that'd be a toughie!

Extreme bands in general are pretty generic, however there are some that stand out. The ones that do are probably the most kick ass musicians you'll ever encounter, mainly because a good metal musician (except vocals, generally) has to take in other styles to become great. So a great metal guitarist probably has dabbled in classical or prog, and a great metal drummer can probably tear it up playing jazz as well, roddy and flo as well as their respective bands for example.

The boys from carcass went on to do alot of different music, from country (walker) to classic rock (steer) to melodic death metal-sellouts (amott) as another example, although carcass arent too extreme anymore..

NZ black metal drumm 2006-01-03 20:53

Flo and derek are both great and I would say neither is better than the other, if you watch Derek's solo vids you will see he is just as tech just as jazzy and just as brutal as flo!

newHELLonEARTH 2006-01-04 17:51

oh i know how amazingly technical he is but in that time listening to hate eternal, i just got bored. flo keeps me pumped up.

Bones98 2006-01-04 18:05

Plus what I like about Cryptopsy is that they are very experimental.. Adding jazz, hard rock, grind core and brutal death metal elements all together in their music.

Vomitor 2006-01-04 20:02

I went to a Hate Eternal show and didn't even watch the band. I could hear it though, click click click click chop chop click click boom chop chop click! When all is said and done a drummer is meant to provide a beat, to emphasize what's being played by the guitarist. If they're really good they go beyond and sometimes make the guitar riffs move. It's good for what it is, but must agree Flo has more feel in his music. What is music about? Feeling! So I don't care about people like Joe Satriani and Derek Roddy, because they are just text books, no soul is in their bodies. Over the top.....but you get my point.

Helvete 2006-01-05 08:29

I dont think that Roddy shows everything in Hate Eternal.
He is much better than on the Hate Eternal recordings.

newHELLonEARTH 2006-01-05 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones98
Plus what I like about Cryptopsy is that they are very experimental.. Adding jazz, hard rock, grind core and brutal death metal elements all together in their music.

yeah, and that's what i love about them. thats what makes them my all time favorite band.

AchromaticChronicles 2006-01-05 23:55

one canadian death metal drummer being well reognized now morethan before is Yanic Bercier, of Quo Vadis, and hes simple incredible, aand because im no drummer i wont rant about it, but thats one newer drummer that is fairly recognized; if you havent seen/heard him check out his sight. I just got their live Defiant Indoctrination dvd and a whole cdis dedicated to the drummers p.o.v.

One that seems much less recognized is Proscriptor of Absu, hes got a fairly unique technique im sure most will agree, and is very fast, but you dont here much chat about him, which is odd because he sings and drums simultaneously; very well i might add

NZ black metal drumm 2006-01-06 03:33

I have heard great things of Proscriptor! never got round to checking them out!

The Execrator 2006-01-06 17:05

You guys are missing the whole point. Most of these posts' have little to do with why extreme drummers don't get much attention in the drumming world.

"the reason jazz drummers for example get more attention is because they can keep perfect time on a funky time signature without screwing up, not just go really fucking fast."

Shut the fuck up. The reason jazz drummers get more attention is because jazz is more acceptable than extreme metal. It has nothing to do with playing ablility. Don't respond to this thread anymore if you're just going to make idiotic posts like that...

I would say a big part of why extreme metal drummers don't get attention is because alot of drummers have never even heard extreme metal. I post alot on a regular drumming forum. I've made a few threads with Derek Roddy videos just to show people some stuff. When I posted up the Roddy I, Monarch studio videos, only about 3 people responded. And there was over a hundred views of the thread. One guy said, "I wonder what the vocals would sound like to music like this." This made me realize that a chunk of modern drummers don't really care, don't know what to think, or have never heard extreme metal before.

And most likely when they will get exposed to extreme metal, hearing Cryptopsy or Origin for example, will completly make them think all metal drummers sound like that....

AchromaticChronicles 2006-01-06 18:37

I agree with the above statements